Pre-Match Thread

samjp26

Defoe always scores against us. But Okore and Clark will have something to say about that.

I think even if he does get his usual goal we can get one or two into their net and that is something I have not thought we might do too often this season. I would take a point but I would not say no to all three.   

I think Sunderland's going to be tough. They know they're up against it. They lose to us and they are looking very squarely at releg -- I believe they will step things up in way that we did in last two weeks, so I do think this is going to be a desperate, scrappy affair.

I worry about the card situation -- we can't really afford any, can we? 

I'll sum up: Worried.

• Like 2

I think Sunderland's going to be tough. They know they're up against it. They lose to us and they are looking very squarely at releg -- I believe they will step things up in way that we did in last two weeks, so I do think this is going to be a desperate, scrappy affair.

I worry about the card situation -- we can't really afford any, can we?

I'll sum up: Worried.

This will definatley be a tough battle, it has draw written all over it

I agree this will be a really tough game and one which Sunerland will have down as one of their easier games of the season. Their fans seem to hate us as well (if readytogo is anything to go by) so they should be pumped up to cheer their team on at the ground. I think it's a must win game, if we do I wouldn't be surprised if Poyet got the sack.

Sunderland are a strange club. Their squad is bang average yet there's an expectancy that they should be doing more than they are. Seem to get through managers quite fast but never really invest to progress.

I also find it hilarious how they hate us so much. I couldn't give a single **** about them. Pointless club.

I'm feeling strangely confident about this one. So it will be a 3-0 loss. 

Edited by PieFacE

Sunderland are a strange club. Their squad is bang average yet there's an expectancy that they should be doing more than they are. Seem to get through managers quite fast but never really invest to progress.

I also find it hilarious how they hate us so much. I couldn't give a single **** about them. Pointless club.

I rate Stokes team about the same as Sunderland in terms of strenght. The fact that Stoke is where they are in the table is crazy to me.

• Like 1

They have a very loyal fanbase that's surprisingly sizable for the population of the city they come from, but like Newcastle they have completely bought into an overhyped version of their own status as super-passionate supporters set apart from the rest. This gives them an imagined superior vantage point from which they look down on pretty much all other clubs. They're so like their hated rivals in many respects like that.

I like Sland as a club and enjoyed watching them in the Peter Reid years (and enjoyed how much they've wound up the barcodes over the years!), but the over-inflated sense of their special status as supporters can get pretty tiresome.

They've spent quite a bit on the squad in recent years and that's probably where the expectation has come from. Fletcher and Wickham cost about £20m combined. Johnson and Rodwell £10m each. Plus players who are likely on substantial wages like Brown, O'Shea, Defoe, Alvarez etc. Their squad isn't bad, it just lacks real stand-out players. Should be doing better than it is though. They've had a pretty chaotic policy with different managers coming in and doing their own thing (sound familiar?) and this is the result.

If we match them for desire and application, then I think we've got a great chance for all three points. If they're more up for it, we're in for a tough afternoon.

On paper I'd say we're the better team and we're full of confidence now so why can't we win it?

• Like 1

It's nice to be looking forward to a game, but I think it will be pretty tight. I couldn't pick a team because I'd want to keep Sinclair, n'zogbia, agbonlahor and benteke in, which might be a bit gung ho for an away game of this magnitude. I also want to see more of Gil.

Despite the recent cause for optimism I'll hang onto the default pessimistic mode for a little longer and say we'll be 2-0 down to two Defoe goals in the first 10 mins and an uphill struggle from then on. But we'll end up 2-2 because it seems we've remembered it's ok to score twice in a game from time to time.

Does anyone know if brown or o'shea are suspended?

Maybe Black Cat supporters haven't felt the existential agony we did the week before last, but they are certainly seeing this game in pretty bleak terms. Maybe it's too soon, but I don't detect the wave of optimism that swept through VillaTalk in last week and half.

There's a lot of discontent and disillusionment.Here we are, same problems of whisperings of structural problems, lack of ambition or investment, poor transfer targets or strategy, in the middle of a seemingly endless string of managers. Nothing has changed In that time I don't believe we've seen 'the lads' playing out of their skins over a full 90 minutes AND getting a result...apart from a flash in the pan at the end of last season (and who can imagine a repeat!)

Hope for the future...yes, faith...less. If Villa win I think that would be the end of my interest - 45 years - you can hardly say I've not given them a chance...

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

I know Cattermole and Johnson won't be playing but I think they're pretty much full strength apart from that.

We should definitely be capable of getting something here. We're on a bit of a run and our attacking players have been on it over the last week

Like someone else has said Sunderland will be bang up for it and feeling defeat is not an option. But what about us?? We can't afford to lose this really. 0 points and we are vulnerable to anything happening in the other games. I'll be very disappointed if they want it more than us.

I'll go 1-2 Villa. Feeling better about matchdays.

Guzan

Lowton Okore Clark Cissokho

Westwood

Cleverley Delph

N'Zogbia

Benteke Agbonlahor