FA Cup Semi Final Draw

Kingman

I don't see how getting Liverpool and then Arsenal gives us "practically no chance" but getting Arsenal and then Liverpool would've done.

Arsenal in the semis would be when they're fighting for top 4 in the league. CL qualification takes priority, and there'd be a chance of players rested to ensure they get that next year. In the final, there are no more games, they go full strength regardless

Arsenal are fighting for the top 4 now and they just beat United at Old Trafford for the first time in a decade...

I just don't get this logic. Surely a draw that isn't even certain to be Liverpool is better than Arsenal?

• Like 1

People talking about Arsenal as if they're the best team in the history of football or something. Whoever we play we've got a real good chance beating them.

Arsenal will dismantle us in a final, they don't need to be the best team in the history of football to do that. Maybe in the semis, given the chase for top 4 they'd be involved in, you've got a chance. When the league is done and dusted, though, I don't think we have a prayer. 

I suppose we'll worry about that when we've beaten Blackburn or Liverpool. I certainly think we'd be capable of beating Arsenal and wouldn't expect to be dismantled by them at all. And I wouldn't put it past Reading or even Bradford to go and cause an upset in the Semi.

Edited by useless

Bradford and Villa in the final would be hilarious. In a strange way it would be the game with the most at stake - ultimate payback for 2 years ago if we won but ultimate humiliation if we lost.

• Like 4

I don't think we can complain. If we get to the final our route will have been Blackpool, Bournemouth, Leicester, WBA (all at home) and Liverpool/Blackburn in the semi. I think overall the draw has been good for us.

Regardless of who we play we will have a good chance. If it is to be Liverpool then we have beaten them already this season and if we can go into that game still playing with something like the belief,commitment, style and bit of swagger we have shown over the last couple of games then I'd fancy us. Whatever happens and whoever we face before a ball has been kicked I am going to be up for it and totally behind the lads.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Yeah can't see us beating Liverpool. They have to be the most in form team surely? 

Semis aren't for another 6 weeks aren't they so they could easily lose form in the next few weeks.

As I've said we have their number at Anfield, they have our number at Villa Park (although in the second half of that game we created plenty of chances against them).

Both teams will fancy their chances of counter attacking on the massive Wembley pitch I'll say that now so it will come down to who is the most clinical on the day.

I don't see how getting Liverpool and then Arsenal gives us "practically no chance" but getting Arsenal and then Liverpool would've done.

Arsenal in the semis would be when they're fighting for top 4 in the league. CL qualification takes priority, and there'd be a chance of players rested to ensure they get that next year. In the final, there are no more games, they go full strength regardless

I know what you're saying, but even if Arsenal rested key players against us their back ups would probably still be worth more than our entire lineup, so not sure how much it matters really. We were always going to have to beat big teams.

Y'know what, screw you guys.

Villa are in the ascendancy, we look better, we're playing better and we have nothing to lose. We beat Liverpool at Anfield last year and now suddenly we're doomed to lose? Damn that. We've been asked to take on a team stretched and juggling multiple commitments, who we know we can beat and who drew with Blackburn?

Pickup your Lambert-era frowns and get behind this.

• Like 4

Yeah because Arsenal nailed it against Blues when they won.... oh wait!

I think we just need to refine our approach a bit more. We will know enough before the semi final whether we stand a good chance. 

If we are safe by then imagine the relief 

Funny how people can't see us beating a team we beat away quite regular. The only team before tonight we haven't beaten recently has just got knocked out so it'll all good. The pressure will be off us seeing as it I'll a Gerrard love in that's assunimg of course they beat Blackburn. Just imagine though if we got Blackburn followed by Arsenal. It would be a perfect cup run for Sherwood. Anyway regardless who'd have thought we'd be get there just a month ago? Let's not waste it win it.

I'd rather face Liverpool than Arsenal 

I'd rather face Liverpool in the final than Arsenal

Same, but we've got more chance of getting to the final by playing Liverpool than Arsenal and again there's no guarantee that we'll even be playing Liverpool. Blackburn are going to really want this as well.

Yeah, but we've got practically no chance of winning it now. If we'd gotten Arsenal in the semis, then maybe you catch them on an off day and ride that success all the way through to the final against Liverpool. We'd have a chance there. Instead we're playing for the privilege of being beaten by Arsenal, essentially

Have some belief. Birmingham beat Arsenal at Wembley for Christ sake. Wigan beat Man City. We 'can' beat Arsenal in the final. 

People talking about Arsenal as if they're the best team in the history of football or something. Whoever we play we've got a real good chance beating them.

Arsenal will dismantle us in a final, they don't need to be the best team in the history of football to do that. Maybe in the semis, given the chase for top 4 they'd be involved in, you've got a chance. When the league is done and dusted, though, I don't think we have a prayer.

Like they dismantled Blues and Wigan? They'd look at us like they did them seeing as they've put 8 past us this year!!!

I'm actually canceling a holiday for this so we better **** win.

Does being drawn at home for this actually mean anything? Can we pick dressing rooms or the end we have?

Hopefully it means we play in our home kit.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2