Todays Ref

smetrov

So just watched most of the second half. Yacobs second yellow was a joke, if anyone deserved a yellow for that it was Bacuna.

Still not sure why Grealish got a first yellow, looked like a nothing challenge. For his second one, he got the ball but didn't need to go down. He over exaggerated the fall and made the contact himself instead of it being lescotts fault. I can see why the ref went against him but at the same time it was still probably a villa free.

Edited by matrim

Think, like chrisp said, he was constantly trying to even up his own mistakes. He should have booked Yacob in the first half, so he was too quick to book him in the second half, then when he probably realised he'd sent off the victim of the foul in Yacob, he was happy to even it up by sending Grealish off. He was too card happy, he made tons of mistakes. Unfortunately, we're trapped in a vicious circle in refereeing. They get treated like shit a lot of the time, so fewer people want to do it, and as a result there's less quality, meaning they get more shit, meaning fewer want to do it and on and on . . . 

I don't know a way out. 

Thought the worst decision was Olsson's scissor tackle on Gabby just outside the box that wasn't deemed a foul even though the he wasn't even close to getting the ball.

Can second yellows be rescinded?

Grealish was clearly clipped by Lescott

The linesman gave yacob his second yellow, watch the ref look over and speak to him. And I think he started a studs up challenge then chickened out. So i can understand why he got booked for it. His studs land on Banunas knee.

I hope grealish learns from his second yellow. Yes there was contact but he made sure there was, and went down spectacularly. I would like to see that wiped out of the game.

I said it in the match thread, in letting the game flow he always risked losing control of it which is exactly what happened

Even IF he didn't want to book players for some bad tackles, he at least should have got the captains together and told both sets of players to cut it out, instead he lets them play on and on and the tackles get worse and worse because the players think they can get away with, then he tries he to regain control by booking players in the last 20 minutes for fouls which weren't worthy of cards.

And that's without mentioning some of his mental decisions on corners and goal kicks

Thought the worst decision was Olsson's scissor tackle on Gabby just outside the box that wasn't deemed a foul even though the he wasn't even close to getting the ball.

Can second yellows be rescinded?

Grealish was clearly clipped by Lescott

The worst decision - was when a cross come shot - bounced of an Albion player - blatanty changing the direction the ball was travelling - and the ref gave a goal kick - unbelievable.

But clearly there were many contenders for worst decision 'yesterday'  

an absolutely dire performance from the referee - who got almost everything wrong 

It needs a system that doesn't make the referee the focal point of blame. We need to move toward a TMO system like Rugby. Decisions will be more accurate and the referee doesn't shoulder all the blame for the bad decisions.

• Like 2

Yacob challenge was nothing but if you look at it from a distance he does a little hop into it with both feet, which from the ref's angle probably looked like he stamped in. There was just no contact or force behind it.

Does anyone know what Grealish's first yellow was for?

Yacob challenge was nothing but if you look at it from a distance he does a little hop into it with both feet, which from the ref's angle probably looked like he stamped in. There was just no contact or force behind it.

No - I don't think anyone does - the cameras missed it (speaks volumes)

No - I don't think anyone does - the cameras missed it (speaks volumes)

To be fair he was pulling back a Baggies player.

I'm hoping jacks dive was more to with winning a free there in the 94th minute would have finished the game and that if it was in normal time he wouldn't have done it

What dive?

Yacob's was a diabolical decision but if you look at the way he plants both feet in you can sort of see what the ref/linesman probably though they saw, even if it was a totally ludicrous red card.

Yeah this.

It looks like a stamp from certain angles and looks two footed too.

It absolutely wasn't either of those things, but I can kind of see how the ref got that one wrong. Although i'm not sure why it took him so long to give it

Edited by Stevo985

My Albion supporting friend got it spot on. He said Yacob is not generally a dirty player. Hard yes, but not dirty. But he also has this knack of making innocuous, fair challenges look wild, like they might snap the opposition in half. I could see why he was sent even if I think it was the wrong decision. 

Grealish though. 

Â