The DIY thread

mjmooney

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Guess what... 

I gave them a right good seeing to with my wrench and 3 of the 4 are working again! The other one I can’t but it’s the valve for sure. 

All that and all I needed to do was give it a good whack. Cheers YouTube! 

Thanks for all your advice Blandy! 

No worries! I can’t access YouTube from work, even if I’d thought of it, but at least what you did wasn’t wasted, because you now know the system is corrosion free, has no air in it, and has 3 sticky TRVs, worth exercising a fair bit for a few days to clean out any calcium or gunk deposits that might have caused the sticking. I hadn’t realised it was 4 sticking. It might be worth persevering with the tapping and also the stuck bolt technique - basically if a bolt is stuck one method is instead of trying and straining to UNdo it, sometimes trying to move it slightly tighter can work to free it - so a firm but gentle push down or gentle tap on the pin top with a light implement might just move it enough to then allow tapping the case to free it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I am pretty basic when it comes to DIY but I need to buy a drill - any recommendations?

I have a bosch cordless. It came with 2 batteries but the life of a single charge is long enough for me to use it for days. I also bought a good set of bits at the same time. Regardless of the brand or price I would recommend a cordless drill and read reviews on how it holds a charge. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I am pretty basic when it comes to DIY but I need to buy a drill - any recommendations?

I’m on my third Bosch cordless. I’ve also got a corded one. I think it’s a wickes own brand. Depending on how often you are going to use it, and to do what, I’d consider this:

1. Not going to use much, will use indoors for the odd shelf or door etc. Get the cheapest you can find. That’ll be corded.

2. likely to use outdoors and in. Brickwork, Metal, Concrete, wood, under the car, up on the roof...Get a cordless, with spare battery. Get a heavy duty one.

3. Batteries going flat is as much or more of a pain than having to run an extension lead. But the convenience of a battery is a joy when it’s a quick job up in the attic or whatever.  Replacement batteries are expensive. I’ve got 3 Bosch drills because when the first’s battery wore out, it was as cheap to get a new drill that came with 2 batteries, as to get a new battery. The third drill is a more powerful one, and it’s ace, but was more expensive.
It’s the one I use the most, partly because the Wickes one is starting to play up (it must be 20 years old and was a bargain 45 quid or so and came with a big set of drill bits, Allen keys etc). the wickes is the one I’d recommend for infrequent domestic use.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Mrs has bought a garden arch with 60mm posts. I need to secure it into soil.

Am I best with adjustable 50mm spikes that will be a bit open at one end or 75mm spikes and add some packing?

Can't find the exact 60mm size in stock anywhere so got to bodge it...

• 3 weeks later...

The joists were nailed into the hangers which were nailed into the ledger. Which makes removing them impossible unless i shred the framing. I guess I'll saw out most of the old joists and put new ones in a few inches next to them. Gulp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr4541fg7jhkk4n/20210429_113058.jpg?dl=0

Edited by maqroll

On 15/03/2021 at 21:06, maqroll said:

Anyone sanded pine floors before? I helped with one years ago but didn't really know what I was doing and I left a few unsightly marks, but I was sanding a floor that had 4 layers of paint on it. These floors either have one coat or none.

I'm renting a belt sander, edger and orbital buffer.

Planning on starting with 40 grit, then 60, then 80.

Any advice? @mjmooney

Sorry, only just seen this. I'm flattered to be considered a DIY maven - I'm absolutely not, which is why I rarely read this thread. That said, I have stripped pine floorboards with a belt sander, with reasonable results. As for what gauges of sandpaper I used, I really don't remember, it was a good few years ago. I expect I simply took the advice of the guys at the tool hire shop. Nowadays I'd be straight onto YouTube! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having new skirting boards fitted.   I was planning to paint them with gloss before fitting for ease. 

The skirting boards have been delivered but are already painted white (possibly with undercoat?).  They look good. 

Do i still need to paint them with gloss, or will the current white paint on them be ok?

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Having new skirting boards fitted.   I was planning to paint them with gloss before fitting for ease. 

The skirting boards have been delivered but are already painted white (possibly with undercoat?).  They look good. 

Do i still need to paint them with gloss, or will the current white paint on them be ok?

I would consider 2 things. 

1. What looks best?

2. How easy are they to wipe down if they get a mark or just generally dirty. Gloss is very easy to clean.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I would consider 2 things. 

1. What looks best?

2. How easy are they to wipe down if they get a mark or just generally dirty. Gloss is very easy to clean.  

3 things - you missed off 3. "can I be arsed?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

So, are they all already cut to the right sizes?

If you have to cut them, you’ll probably be able to see the cuts and fixings. In which case you’re painting them.

If you aren’t fixing them with screws and they don’t have cut marks, why would you bother painting them again?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So, are they all already cut to the right sizes?

If you have to cut them, you’ll probably be able to see the cuts and fixings. In which case you’re painting them.

If you aren’t fixing them with screws and they don’t have cut marks, why would you bother painting them again?

What's the benefits of using screws for skirting boards? A bit of glue and nails/pins should hold them in place and easier to hide the pins and much easier if you need to take the boards off again. 

Screws that have been painted over is one of my major pet peeves. Hate having to scrape the paint out to remove the screw. 

• 1 month later...

It seems that I have a couple of loose bricks that I need to reattach to my garden wall post. This is an area I have no experience in. Any suggestions for quick and painless fix for this. 

E1E7B245-954F-4AF5-95B7-D2C97171CF6D.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It seems that I have a couple of loose bricks that I need to reattach to my garden wall post. This is an area I have no experience in. Any suggestions for quick and painless fix for this. 

Dunno if applicable but Concrete fix of some sort is quite useful in small areas

54933-reparationsbruk-patron-dana-lim-54

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Get a trowel and scrape away any loose mortar, get a bag of compo, mix and just patch it in.  

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Get a trowel and scrape away any loose mortar, get a bag of compo, mix and just patch it in.  

None of it is loose unfortunately. Just a crack along the mortar. I suspect it might be wise to remove and re do. 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

None of it is loose unfortunately. Just a crack along the mortar. I suspect it might be wise to remove and re do. 

Yea its loose if it's not holding anything together. If it's still "stiff" in position, just chisel out and repoint it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Inject with foam filler, seal with silicone sealant then cover over with gaffa tape. There thats used three of the 4 tools of the lazy mans tool kit, I'm just disappointed I couldn't find a use for the WD40

• Haha 1

Â