The DIY thread

mjmooney

I want to do a patio this summer as well. Haven't got the foggiest idea where to start.

I already have a concrete base for it though (used to be a garage in my garden) so I'm assuming that's a good thing...

I'll probably just pay somebody to do it :D

Once the bodies are nicely buried, simply concrete over the top, and then add some tarty pavers or whatever.

• Like 3

I layed a brick path recently using the dry mix all seemed to go fine!

No idea the pros and cons of each I just did what my builder father in law told me.

Leaning towards dry mix ...but it can take up to 4 days to get the reaction for the cement to solidify ......if it rains in that time I would be fooked .....where as wet mix 4 hours and it would be `ard as me cock looking at kelly brook doing deadlifts :D

I want to do a patio this summer as well. Haven't got the foggiest idea where to start.

I already have a concrete base for it though (used to be a garage in my garden) so I'm assuming that's a good thing...

I'll probably just pay somebody to do it :D

Me!

And check your pms!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Genuine question, internet search results seem mixed on this. Right, decoration. Have put new plaster boards up to fix ridiculously uneven ceiling and where previously water damaged, skimmed over, looks level. This is a test on tiny box bedroom just to get this place liveable to move to and take one room at a time. Whole house needs doing every room, ceiling , walls and floor so keen to know....

to PVA or not PVA? As a primer. 

So as said, ceiling is ready, but, do I "seal" with PVA which effectively could prime it or, 50/50 water and emulsion as primer? 

Surelt the PVA will act as a good bonding agent for the paint if watered down enough. 

Have trade emulsion but hesitant to slap it on , it reckons it's one coat and no primer necessary but if you could see what I see, it looks like some tribute to camouflage combat trousers on this ceiling. Have a good few PVAs too as have been using to bond plaster and bonding for fill in holes etc so am all ready to go either way, got all the kit  

Sorry.... not experienced in DIY despite age, always done or had done. No cash this time...

thanks for your help

Edited by Midfielder

• 10 months later...

Right. I’m hoping I receive a few more replies than Michael got to his question :lol:

Has anyone ever applied for a Regularisation Certificate? It’s the certificate for retrospective building regulations. Ie: Someone has done some building work without the required regulations, or back when it wasn’t required, but now you want to certify that it’s upto today’s standards.

Long story short; I’m buying a house that has a loft conversion (windows, carpets, radiator, stairs.. the lot. Not just a boarded loft), but it turns out that the company that did the work (for £28k, no less), didn’t apply for building regs. My dad is saying I should get a building inspector round before the purchase goes through, incase the inspector says it’s going to cost big bucks to put it all right.

I know this isn’t necessarily DIY, but I thought that people in the trade may have a peek at this thread more than the ‘I’m buying a house’ one.

I welcome any advice people can give. Except for DHUTWU, as that’s a given.

• Like 1

I think your dad is spot on. I'd have an inspector go round, and get quotes from builders to put right anything that's found. Then I'd expect it to be knocked off the price.

I imagine you might run in to some problems with your mortgage provider if there are any notable issues, as their valuation is going to drop.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

You can buy insurance to cover the risk, who pays the premium is up for negotiation 

An indemnity has already been discussed. I’m not so worried about the purchase, it’s more around making sure it’s okay for when I eventually come to sell it on.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think your dad is spot on. I'd have an inspector go round, and get quotes from builders to put right anything that's found. Then I'd expect it to be knocked off the price.

I imagine you might run in to some problems with your mortgage provider if there are any notable issues, as their valuation is going to drop.

There shouldn’t be an issue with the mortgage provider, as the house has been sold as a 3-bed with a ‘loft room’, and the price of the house is comparable to that of other, similar 3-bed houses in the area. Not to mention we knocked off a decent chunk of the original price, so it’s still easily worth what we’ve agreed, in my non-professional opinion!

I agree that getting a building inspector round would be a good idea, but to be honest, I don’t feel like we’re in a great position to make a lower offer, as we want to move in in the next fortnight, because our first baby is due in 7 weeks. An added problem, is that the house is being sold by a couple going through a divorce, and the one party (who seems to always be busy, and took an age to complete some simple forms), is out of the country until the end of April. So I don’t really want to delay the purchase by that length of time for a few grand. (Obviously if it was a difference of £10k+ then I may have a change of heart!)

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Has anyone ever applied for a Regularisation Certificate? It’s the certificate for retrospective building regulations. Ie: Someone has done some building work without the required regulations, or back when it wasn’t required, but now you want to certify that it’s upto today’s standards.

Long story short; I’m buying a house that has a loft conversion (windows, carpets, radiator, stairs.. the lot. Not just a boarded loft), but it turns out that the company that did the work (for £28k, no less), didn’t apply for building regs. My dad is saying I should get a building inspector round before the purchase goes through, incase the inspector says it’s going to cost big bucks to put it all right.

Can they (the seller) provide you with the structural engineer's calculations and contact details. Because that's the first thing the Building Inspector might ask for.

If they spent 28K but didn't bother with regs, perhaps they didn't bother with a struct engineer either...

Sorry to be a doom monger. It's probably fine, but a proper ball ache if it ain't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I agree that getting a building inspector round would be a good idea, but to be honest, I don’t feel like we’re in a great position to make a lower offer, as we want to move in in the next fortnight, because our first baby is due in 7 weeks. An added problem, is that the house is being sold by a couple going through a divorce, and the one party (who seems to always be busy, and took an age to complete some simple forms), is out of the country until the end of April. So I don’t really want to delay the purchase by that length of time for a few grand. (Obviously if it was a difference of £10k+ then I may have a change of heart!)

I'd be very careful that you aren't letting your eagerness get the better of you here and lead you into making a decision you will later regret.

I know what it is like when you have your heart set on moving and all the stress that you just want over and this is obviously increased two fold with the added issue of a baby on the way.

You are spending a huge amount of money here though and potentially if there are issues with this loft conversion you could be heading straight into a whole load of headaches and thousands of pounds of expense.

I'd get it right now and get all the checks done as if not you may look back in a few months and wish you had. I know it is not easy mate but you need to look at the long term as it is a long term commitment and a little time taken now in doing it right will be worth it.
  • Like 1

My advice would be, don't stress about the baby.  They are hardy buggers and won't be bothered by moving.  Your wife needn't lift a finger with your friends and family whoncan basically do a 1 hour makeover for you.

Do what's right.  If this one falls through, the next dream house will come up x

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Can they (the seller) provide you with the structural engineer's calculations and contact details. Because that's the first thing the Building Inspector might ask for.

If they spent 28K but didn't bother with regs, perhaps they didn't bother with a struct engineer either...

Sorry to be a doom monger. It's probably fine, but a proper ball ache if it ain't.

I’ve got the documents from the loft conversion, with plans and details and dimensions of the structural floor, first roof dormer, hip extension etc etc. But obviously it means diddly to me. I’ll see if I can get in touch with a building inspector today. It’s just a ballache because the people selling the house have been extremely difficult so far.

@markavfc40 I’m not even stressed about the move myself. It’s more the wife who’s stressing.

• Like 1

I've spoken to a woman at the local council, and she said that they don't send building inspectors out unless you have an application already submitted. She said I could get an independent inspector out, so that's my next option. However, she also advised that the council can't actually legally enforce anything if the work was carried out over 2 years ago. Coincidentally, this loft conversion was completed just over 2 years ago, so there's nothing the council can do, even if it's not up to today's standards.

As I've got the original plans and documents from the conversion, I'm trying to get in touch with the company that did the work, to ask why Building Regs weren't applied for. I might try to get the current house owner to call the company up, as the documentation says that they guarantee the work for 5 years, and the contract of work confirmed that building regs would be applied for...:detect:

• 9 months later...
14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i know the next step in my record collection (and CDs) is a ridiculously expensive storage unit (which will be too big forcing me to buy more 😜 )

Photo1070.jpg.78cf303f2c4a97fb0f63a6cceaf18c85.jpg

9 brackets, 18 screws/plugs and 3 planks, £60 at Homebase rip off prices. The family run store I go to now - £35

Retrospectively I wondered if batons along the sides and back wall instead of brackets would have been better?

It's quite a long run though, and a lot of wood in stores isn't brilliantly seasoned. Might have got droopy to the front in the middle of the planks?

Could have got better timber from a merchant, Freecycle or even a bloody skip. Would have for vinyl.

Rush job. Didn't think we'd be staying here that long, but it serves and doesn't look horrendous. Lowest shelf is 1.6m off the deck, out of reach of sprogs.

The CDs were on the floor. She'd been rumbling for a while and was about to go full Etna.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bump! 

Fellow DIYers... bathroom tiling question! 

I have a standard fit bath that will be siliconed to the wall. My question is, should I tile under the bath, or just do the floor around it? 

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Bump! 

I have a standard fit bath that will be siliconed to the wall. My question is, should I tile under the bath, or just do the floor around it? 

I am no expert by any means. But surely depends on what type of tub it is I guess? Legs? No legs? 

14 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Bump! 

I put down a vinyl floor, it extends about 25mm beyond the batch panel, to give the impression it carries on where it can’t be seen.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I put down a vinyl floor, it extends about 25mm beyond the batch panel, to give the impression it carries on where it can’t be seen.

Won't that damage them? All those SFA platters?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â