Damned Professionalism!

villafan306

The new era at Aston Villa has certainly done things a little more professionally than we have known for a long time, leaving us with very few solid transfer rumours. But let’s takes a look at what we can.

The professional nature of the new Aston Villa board must be applauded. None of the "we have agreed fees for Bellamy and Hughes......well Hughes anyway....hang on, bid I actually fax off the bid?" of yesteryear and instead we have the occasional press release from the manager, CEO or chief scout saying we won't be disappointed come September 1st when the window closes.

And with the newly found professional nature of AVFC comes frustration. The reason being that we have very little information about who we are signing and as such seem to be wildly linked with players that MON has probably never even heard of! But there are one or two names that seem to crop up every now and then and might jut be correct.

The Nigel Reo-Coker link has refused to go away. Earlier reports that we had made a bid of £7million seemed to be premature but with "sources close to the club" (whatever that means) telling media outlets that Nigel had a medical at Bodymoor Heath this week it seems that we may be edging closer to a deal here. It is reported that a fee of around £8million has been agreed for the 23 year old and we should here more about this one within the next few days if these reports are to be believed

Shaun Wright-Phillips apparently agreed to join us on loan in January but Chelsea blocked the deal. Now though they will let him go for £10million and so it is only natural that we are linked to the winger. Talksport have gone as far as to predict him signing for us today (Monday 2nd of July for those reading this at a later time) but nobody knows for sure if this will be the case just yet....well I'm sure some people know but they won't tell us! It will be interesting to listen to Talksport this evening when Ian Wright will be on so maybe we will find a snippet of information there!

There are of course other links flying around. Chelsea's right back Geremi has been linked but he is reported to be joining Newcastle this afternoon so that rumour can mercifully be quashed before it begins! Tottenham striker Jermaine Defoe has been a long running rumour since MON took the helm at Villa Park and with the arrival of Darren Bent at White Hart Lane it could be that Defoe will be moving on to pastures new s expect to see a little more on this one in the coming weeks.

That's all for now, check out the message board for the latest transfer gossip!

Thanks for the updates VF. I don't often go onto the transfer rumours thread as there's to much of it to get through, but i wasn't aware of the renewed SWP interest so that's a real filip if true.

still wondering who's going to be our right back this coming season .....

Thanks for the updates VF. I don't often go onto the transfer rumours thread as there's to much of it to get through, but i wasn't aware of the renewed SWP interest so that's a real filip if true.

still wondering who's going to be our right back this coming season .....

Thats why theres a non debating transfer rumours sticky at the top of the page, no debate just stories from the tabs as they appear :nod:

Randy Lerner and Aston Villa are following a long term plan. Some of the important things in this plan is to increase the number of sold season tickets (which can create the need for an increase in the seats at Villa Park) and increase the revenue from products like shirts.

Lerner will also bring in high class footballers that can make the team a top 5 team and the enthusiasm they will bring will hopefully increase both the number of sold season tickets, shirts and etc.

The club has also improved and raised the professionalism, thus they will not go out and say what players they are after (thank God for that).

Now think about it for a moment. In what way will they create the biggest buzz pre season that get the season tickets up to the highest number and makes a lot of people buy the new shirts, thus securing revenues through the season even if we should get into trouble before christmas?

I think the answer is simple. Keep it quiet when we are working with new players, and present several big names when we have signed them when we unveil the new shirt. This will clearly be the best for the club when looking at the long term plan.

Please keep up the professional work, Lerner and O'Neill. Don't let irrational people like me, that would love to see a signing and a name asap, change the policy that is the best for the club, long term wise.

I appreciate the value of what you say but it has to be said that with Villa's history, even though I know Mr's Learner and O'Neill won't let us down, its still really hard watching nearly all of our major competition strengthening their squads left, right and centre with some good players. whilst Villa merely clear the decks.

Pre-season training starts soon so I really hope to see some significant Villa movement in the transfer market over the next 10 days. Afterall, half of the fun of signing new players comes from spending the next 6 weeks dreaming about just good the new look team will be next year, before the season actually starts and reality comes crashing in.

This is hard to do when there is absolutely no clue who we are looking at!

Â