Brain of Britain

mjmooney

Surprised nobody got Dubai airport  ...  maybe it's a travel Geek thing  :) ..

I knew the first 3 and thought , meh I'd have romped this but now I'm on round 3 , I reckon I could have taken second place , too many hard questions for me to have given you much of a challenge

Surprised nobody got Dubai airport ... maybe it's a travel Geek thing :) ..

I knew the first 3 and thought , meh I'd have romped this but now I'm on round 3 , I reckon I could have taken second place , too many hard questions for me to have given you much of a challenge

Yeah, I was kicking myself not to have thought of Dubai.

You should enter next year.

only if you promise not to :)

Apparently you're not allowed to apply again for three years.

It's a shame my 'posse' didn't think to take any pictures. We'll try and put that right on Friday.

smashed-it_zpsdbvvvexu.png

I'd have got the the River in France but only because I used to date a girl from just up the road from Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

Do you just research random subjects to become knowledgeable or is their a 'knack' to it?

Don't really research anything, it's just a lifetime of interest in diverse things and a decent memory.

My name is Wayne and I'm from Luton

My name is Barry and I'm from Kent

My name is Diane and I'm from Carlisle

My name is MJ Mooney and I live in Leeds

A small but important distinction, but I see you made a point of saying it. :mrgreen:

(I forget the location of the other three so I had to make them up...) 

• Like 1

My name is Wayne and I'm from Luton

My name is Barry and I'm from Kent

My name is Diane and I'm from Carlisle

My name is MJ Mooney and I live in Leeds

A small but important distinction, but I see you made a point of saying it. :mrgreen:

(I forget the location of the other three so I had to make them up...)

I wondered if anybody would notice that. All the contestants were from the north of England. I'm 'from' Birmingham, but it would have seemed odd to say that, so I chose those words carefully. I'll be using it again on Friday. Edited by mjmooney

Congratulations Mr Mooney, a fine performance.

I definitely won't be phoning for an audition, as I only managed my usual half dozen, by answering everyone's questions, and then I had to award myself a penalty point for being a philistine, because I didn't think of Mussorgsky, I thought of ELP for that music question you got right.

But I then awarded myself an extra point for getting the Conan Doyle question right, which no one else did.

Sadly, I did not get the Einsturzende Neubauten translation right and was left to quibble about the non-existence of the present continuous in German. 

Your early sally got the job done and despite Diane Whitehead's rally, you scored enough quick singles to keep the gal at bay.

Obviously, like Villa in the cup, you have to expect a higher class of opponent in the semi-final.

Someone told me that a Villa fan was once Times Crossword champion, so the pressure is on for you to bring honour to the Holte. 

If you get the right questions you should go through, so good luck. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ4Q9_bDwLY

I first saw them on 'The Tube' many many years ago. My dad was grossly personally offended by 'krauts' using an angle grinder as a musical instrument and shouting rubbish.

So naturally, I was hooked.

• Like 1

Â