Who do you blame for Villa's current situation?

Marka Ragnos

Who's to blame for Villa's current situation?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who's mostly to blame for Villa's current situation?

• Randy Lerner
    • Tom Fox
    • The players
    • "The System" -- FFP, the ELP, the FA
    • Supporters
    • Paul Lambert
    • Fate, fortunate, bad luck, etc.
    • Other - please explain below

It's beyond me how anyone can blame Lambert. We've got him to thank that we're still a Premier league team. Our position is down to Lerner's decision making and external factors like FFP.

We've got Lambert to thank for being in relegation battles. The more players of quality he added (Benteke, Vlaar 1 / Kozak, Okore, 2 / Gill, Cleverley, 3) the worse we got! We regressed under Lambert with better players, and with a stronger squad. He cannot handle it.

• Like 1

O'Neil for blowing £150 million, looking at Heskey to be our saviour and paying the likes of Beye £40k a week. We can all blame Lerner, but he trusted O'Neil with his fortune and not only did O'Neil screw the club, he then sued us when things didn't go his way.

Trusting O'Niell with his fortune as you put it pretty much sums up Lerner and his lack of business nous. Nobody with any real clue about business hands someone an open checkbook.

80% Lerner, 10% the players, 5% Lambert and 5% the fans

That's how i see it.

The decline was clearly triggered by whatever happened between Lerner & O'neill, my guess is that Lerner changed his mind and pulled the rug from under (or finances)  MON who then walked as he no doubt knew what was coming as a result.

But at that point, surely MON had a lot to answer for. If Lerner had of acted before, he would have been castigated as interfering in a success story...He left it late, but he only did what had to be done....Martin O'Neill squandered a fortune and there is no getting away from that. Martin was confronted with this issue and walked....the fact he (O'Neill)was allowed to do it for so long is another debate, Lerner was responsible for that late decision, but that is where his naivety has cost him.

It seems like Martin O'Neill sued the club for not allowing him to waste anymore money....but hey I wasn't in court, so I am speculating

What happened since I blame Lerner for. 

• Like 1

O'Neil for blowing £150 million, looking at Heskey to be our saviour and paying the likes of Beye £40k a week. We can all blame Lerner, but he trusted O'Neil with his fortune and not only did O'Neil screw the club, he then sued us when things didn't go his way.

Trusting O'Niell with his fortune as you put it pretty much sums up Lerner and his lack of business nous. Nobody with any real clue about business hands someone an open checkbook.

Come on, most of us would have trusted O'Neill, before events unfolded....(mind you, my opinions started to change when we paid 4 mill for Harewood.)

but equally, he could have got lucky and had Brian Clough as manager.

I don't blame Lerner as much as some fans do for that up to that point .....what i blame him for is the time since.

Edited by TRO

I feel much the same as you... I do not mean Lerner is blameless and I am also a bit in doubt of the theory that he should have stopped/curtailed O'Neill's spending before he did......Only when he/they realised that the majority of signings were duff, did they stop it,they may have been too late....which is down to him.

This is football...not any other industry, where this is unlikely to happen

Owners/Chairman trust Managers to know what they are doing until it is patently obvious they don't.....Except HDE of course.

Edited by TRO

O'Neil, Lambert and Faulkner all have played a big part in our demise but our clueless owner is the major reason as far as i am concerned .He is the one who makes the decisions .His latest balls up was waiting for the transfer window to close before getting rid of Lambert ,no doubt just to save money.This gave any new any new manager no chance to change anything.

• Like 1

A little naive maybe yes. But being a new owner he needed a football man and at the time O'Neil was in his prime. There are many other managers at the time who could have been trusted, an im sure we would have been in a better position even now for it. Therefore I hold O'Neil responsible for our down fall.

Had MON been smarter and less of an egoist, we could have strolled right into the Champions League, and right now we could be CL regulars with the rest of them.

Sorry, but that is just crazy talk. Which of the immensely rich and powerful clubs do you think we would have knocked out of their regular CL slot? 

O'Neill was 5 years ago, more than enough time to recover from any issues he caused.

It depends what issues you mean....I said at the time he will put this club back 10 years.

The footballing issues cannot be laid at his door, that would be stupid.....but the issues of fully amortising c £100 million worth of players takes a bit longer to clear.

I am not going to go in to the ins & outs of our finances, because i don't know enough of the facts....but I only have to list all the signings that we wrote off to say, glad it wasn't my money.

I feel it is misleading to go about defending Randy, but you can't tell me that all that and his marraige, didn't effect his judgment.

It is what it is now....so, to some degree its all irrelevant....we all have our own opinions.

ps at least we can't blame him for Gabby's 4 year contract :D

Had MON been smarter and less of an egoist, we could have strolled right into the Champions League, and right now we could be CL regulars with the rest of them.

Sorry, but that is just crazy talk. Which of the immensely rich and powerful clubs do you think we would have knocked out of their regular CL slot? 

back then was only 3 locked up spots though with United, Chelsea and Arsenal taking them. City didnt qualify until MON left and Spurs were middling and Liverpool and Everton were also about but not every season

Need to forget about the blame game, for now, and look to who can save us.

Just reacting to the OP....but yes you are right

I guess had we of won....it wouldn't have been started....we have to entertain ourselves .lol

Lambert.

His acquisitions have been poor overall.He has failed to buy a player to play off CB, that money was spent on Bowery, Helenius and Tonev,.He has failed to buy a player to replace/pressurize Gabby or Weimann.He bought Kozak, when it wasn't the kind of player we needed at the time.How many LBs has he bought?

Hes taken too many gambles on players who might turn out to be ok/good, when he would have been better paying more for 1 player.

I don't blame Randy Lerner at all, he has put plenty of money in, with all managers, and not one has used it well.

O'Neill was 5 years ago, more than enough time to recover from any issues he caused.

so why is a big club like Leeds still out of the Prem?

what is funny/tragic is that if we picked the 5 most level headed and knowledgable VT members and had them making the decisions since Lerner took over, we'd be in Europe right now. No joke.

I didn't think anything could make me feel more miserable about Villa and the mess the club is in, but the fact that some fans are still blaming the disastrous financial management of the club on O'Neill and dredging up all the old nonsense that used to be put out regularly on this topic has actually succeeded in deepening my gloom.

• Like 1

I didn't think anything could make me feel more miserable about Villa and the mess the club is in, but the fact that some fans are still blaming the disastrous financial management of the club on O'Neill and dredging up all the old nonsense that used to be put out regularly on this topic has actually succeeded in deepening my gloom.

He is partly to blame though. There are certainly a whole host of other people to blame as well, Lerner being the main culprit of course, but his **** ups helped to set in motion a series of disasters.