Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

If Albion want to win it they will, 

This is WBA we are talking about here not Chelsea.

On paper they are no better than us, in fact I would argue they are worse. What they have had is a huge boost under a manager that is able to get the best out of players.

I liked what I saw from us on Saturday though. We played well, created a number of chances and played with an urgency and desire I hadn’t seen before this season.  I think the penny has finally dropped that we are in a battle. I expect us to apply ourselves the same way tomorrow and if we can take one of the chances that I am sure we will create or if we have a little bit more of a run of the ball then I am confident we will get a positive result.

They have players who can put the ball in the back of the net though. That is why they are better than us right now!

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Every one of their 17 Premier League encounters has ended either as a draw or with a one-goal margin of victory. 
  • Aston Villa's only win in the eight most recent meetings came in last season's corresponding fixture. Christian Benteke's second-half penalty proved decisive after the sides shared six goals in the first half.

Aston Villa

• Aston Villa have lost seven league matches in a row - their worst run for 52 years since a club record 11 successive defeats in 1963.
  • They have gone 12 league games without a win (D3, L9) - one shy of their top-flight club record of 13. They have only scored three goals in that time.
  • Villa remain the only club in the top four divisions to win a league game in 2015.
  • Their only win in the last 11 league games at Villa Park came against Leicester three months ago (W1, D4, L6)
  • The Villans have attempted the fewest shots on target in the Premier League this season (72) and have the lowest conversion rate (6.6%). 
  • Aston Villa have won just one of the last eight Barclays Premier League games against West Bromwich Albion (W1 D4 L3).
  • West Brom
  • West Brom have only lost once in eight league games (W3, D4, L1). They are eight points clear of the bottom three.
  • They have kept five clean sheets in their seven league matches under Tony Pulis, recording three successive shutouts for the first time in nearly three years.
  • However, Albion are without a win in eight away games, drawing the last four in a row (D5, L3).
  • Five of West Brom's seven league wins this season have been by a 1-0 scoreline.
  • Saido Berahino has only scored two of his 17 goals for Albion this season away from home. 
  • Joleon Lescott has scored five Premier League goals against Aston Villa, more than against any other side. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31598202

Looking on one of their forums, most of them seem to predict it will be a draw and that's what they think Pulis will play for. Hopefully we've got enough to break them. I've got a feeling we're going to thrash someone soon, but I wouldn't like to predict when and put the jinx on it.

Steve Madeley ‏@smadeley_star

Victor Anichebe still not fit so Albion potentially without all 3 senior strikers.

Some hope maybe.

I don't buy their injuries for a second as whenever we played Stoke when Pulis was there he'd always say haldf his team was injured and they'd all magically be recovered by 3pm. Berahino will play and probably Brown Ideye aswell.

If there is truth then I'd assume they'd play Sessegnon as a false 9?

• Like 1

Set pieces will be interesting.

This is Sherwood's third game in charge; if we still haven't improved on set pieces looking at our position and lack of goals well I don't think we ever will.

Seems extreme but you do wonder what they do in training when you look at our set pieces. I'm convinced we do very little to no work on them which is embarrassing given our position.

This is a Pulis team so i'm not expecting to score from one but we haven't looked threatening from them all season. A bit of intent is the least we could expect.

I say this with absolutely no exaggeration, I reckon if I was on set pieces I'd have managed a few better deliveries than we've seen in the past few games from us.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

Strangely looking forward to tonight.

Guzan

Lowton vlaar(if fit)ClarkHutton

Westwood

Cleverly. Delph

Gil. Benteke. Nzogbia

Lowton on right as hit crossing is wasted on the left. That's a decent attacking side if u ask me.

Woke up this morning and said to myself "Ah, Villa tonight, that's something to look forward to" and even though we are awful atm and probably come the end of the game ill be depressed I still have that blind optimism every morning we are playing.

:flag:

Same here, every Saturday I say never again. I'm not getting excited just to be let down, but here I am again, bricking it but still excited lol

Woke up this morning and said to myself "Ah, Villa tonight, that's something to look forward to" and even though we are awful atm and probably come the end of the game ill be depressed I still have that blind optimism every morning we are playing.

:flag:

Yep, happens to me every time.

Can't wait for tonight.

Albion week!

I'm really looking forward to this one - nothing productive will get done at work today.

Including scrabble by the looks of it