Villa finances: worst case scenarios

Marka Ragnos

If we go down -- and still don't think we will -- what are the long and short-term financial implications? How bad can it get, financially? Is there a scenario that sees us implode as a club and melt down into administration, for instance?

This is an area of club management that I find so opaque but also quite interesting. Are we in a state where we can financially "absorb" relegation and dust ourselves off?

Are we were facing the double-blow of relegation and an already bleak financial picture?

I would be interested in any light you all may shine on this complicated sub-topic that I am masterfully unqualified to speak to.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

The issue would that in future seasons the club finishing bottom of the PL - is going to get £100m - miss out on that for a few seasons, and whilst you may eventually get back to the PL - you are really up against it to get established ......

I beleive we would also see a re run of the post MON years - with severe cost cutting in place....

All the players will have to take a paycut I believe, so we'll go from paying Championship wages in the Prem to paying League One wages in the Championship ;) I'm sure we would get by for one season but the gap will widen each year beyond that. Randy may have to sell us cheaper so that may be a good thing.

• Like 1

The issue would that in future seasons the club finishing bottom of the PL - is going to get £100m - miss out on that for a few seasons, and whilst you may eventually get back to the PL - you are really up against it to get established ......

I beleive we would also see a re run of the post MON years - with severe cost cutting in place....

Can I ask you what that "severe cost cutting" meant in the past? Are we talking "just" player salaries or are there staffs involved in this? I am especially interested in the kind of knock-on effects for Villa's particular situation.

We'll see in a few days what the financial position for 31 May 2014.  Tha will give us a clue as to how stable we are.  Obviously there will be parachute payments if we go down, but conversely the team going up would soon have an income higher than ours.  Bournemouth, at a stroke, would have a higher income than us.  If we went straight back up we'd probably be OK, but after that the gap between the Premier League and the Championship would soon start to tell.

• Like 2

I am sure we will be fine.

Randy, if nothing, has shown himself to a be a truly astute businessman.

But he's about to see one of his prize assets lose millions of £££££££ of value, right, because of his own inert, stolid, listless oversight? What's astute about that? 

We'll be ok provided we come straight back up as the new deal doesn't start until the 16/17 season.

Obviously coming straight back up will be a challenge in itself.

I am sure we will be fine.

Randy, if nothing, has shown himself to a be a truly astute businessman.

But he's about to see one of his prize assets lose millions of £££££££ of value, right, because of his own inert, stolid, listless oversight? What's astute about that? 

I think your sarcasm meter needs some new batteries.

Where do I get these batteries from? And how much do they cost? And if I might ask one rather serious question, can I pay for them in camel penis skin?

• Like 2

I imagine we would have a very good away following for one year. That counts for nothing though, as far as our finances are concerned. Current ST sales of 17000, which are down by 4,500 from 2013-14, would drop to about 14000, unless very good incentives are put in place.

Edited by George Curtis
  • Like 2

I posted in another thread but in extremely basic terms we currently get £60 million + TV money in the Championship we'll get £15 million parachute. Our wage bill is approximately £50 million + so you can see the massive loss that would happen there. The Championship has FFP laws too so it's pretty certain we'd have to shed at least 4 of our top players (Benteke, Delph, Gill, Guzan). We won't go under financially FFP is in place to stop that kind of thing happening, Forest fell foul of FFP this season and got a transfer ban. Plus Randy is a reputable business man not some dodgy crook from the far east. There's zero chance we'll go under financially but don't expect us to be keeping our best players because that won't be happening. A complete restructuring plan maybe not that bad (see Southampton, Swansea) but you'd want a more savvy owner than Learner at the helm to do it. 

If we do go down I doubt Randy will choose to sell at such a loss but potential new owners will be circling with the new Premiership deal (£100m TV money minimum) looking to buy on the cheap.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 2

Villa has the worst percentage of average attendances versus capacity in the Premier League. That can't have helped. But will our numbers get even worse if we go down?

Almost certainly, apart from the 42,000 sell out when we have to play that lot. If we are averaging 32,000 at  the moment in the Prem it would be around 25,000 in the Championship. If we actually started  to win some matches and challenge for promotion, people could come back. Could is the big word- thousands might not bother ever again, and realize having  weekends doing other stuff is less painful..Look at Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday- they have 1000s of empty seats every home game.

• Like 2

Villa has the worst percentage of average attendances versus capacity in the Premier League. That can't have helped. But will our numbers get even worse if we go down?

Almost certainly, apart from the 42,000 sell out when we have to play that lot. If we are averaging 32,000 at  the moment in the Prem it would be around 25,000 in the Championship. If we actually started  to win some matches and challenge for promotion, people could come back. Could is the big word- thousands might not bother ever again, and realize having  weekends doing other stuff is less painful..Look at Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday- they have 1000s of empty seats every home game.

The Wednesday's dip in the late 60s and the club's incredible history -- way too many parallels with us. Hope we don't follow them down the same road!

We won't sell as many season tickets but if we are at the top end of the table there will be a lot more interest than there is now, so I would expect our gates to rise. 

Edited by PaulC

Â