Tony Parks

Villan4Life

Tony Parks has replaced Andy Marshall as Goalkeeping coach.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4510941,00.html

Tim Sherwood has appointed Tony Parks as his first team goalkeeping coach.

The former Tottenham, Oxford and West Ham shot-stopper will be working with Brad Guzan, Shay Given and Jed Steer at Bodymoor Heath.

Tony joins us from Norwich City, where he has worked in a similar position since July 2014 after replacing Dave Watson who joined Southampton earlier that summer.

He had a similar role at White Hart Lane previously for six years.

Parks also worked for The FA as a national coach for six years, when he played a key role on the coaching staff of England's development squads at U16, U17, U19 and U21s level, working with the likes of Joe Hart, Ben Amos and Jason Steele.

He was named as the goalkeeper coach of the year in 2013 following his work under both Harry Redknapp and Andre Villas-Boas at Spurs since 2008.

At White Hart Lane, he trained Hugo Lloris, Brad Friedel, Heurelho Gomes and Carlo Cudicini.

Hackney-born Parks had a long career as a player, starting out with Spurs where his most memorable moment came in the 1984 UEFA Cup final against Anderlecht where he proved their match-winner in a penalty shoot-out.

He went on to represent the likes of Brentford and Falkirk before moving into coaching.

I heard from the local man that Tony Parks is rubbish at being a goalkeeper coach and actively encourages the goalkeepers to throw the ball into the net or just stand behind the goal if the opponents are in possession. He is said to love the noise that the ball hitting the net makes and tries to make all his goalkeepers love the noise too. He's also of the opinion that penalties should just be allowed to go in and tells goalkeepers to not try to save them because a penalty awarded, in his eyes, is a goal. And goal kicks should be launched into the nearest stand, usually the one behind. I'm not sure why we've chosen such a man as our goalkeeping coach. Tim Sherwood has a lot of explaining to do on this one. Ridiculous appointment.

• Like 4

I heard from the local man that Tony Parks is rubbish at being a goalkeeper coach and actively encourages the goalkeepers to throw the ball into the net or just stand behind the goal if the opponents are in possession. He is said to love the noise that the ball hitting the net makes and tries to make all his goalkeepers love the noise too. He's also of the opinion that penalties should just be allowed to go in and tells goalkeepers to not try to save them because a penalty awarded, in his eyes, is a goal. And goal kicks should be launched into the nearest stand, usually the one behind. I'm not sure why we've chosen such a man as our goalkeeping coach. Tim Sherwood has a lot of explaining to do on this one. Ridiculous appointment.

I honestly cannot believe Tim would allow this kind of behaviour, sorry just wont believe that

I honestly cannot believe Tim would allow this kind of behaviour, sorry just wont believe that

Classic Useless!

Wait...

• Like 1

I remember tony parks play. Not a bad keeper at all. All the best to the new coach. Maybe he can teach Guzan to not kick the ball out every time and also to throw the ball out quicker rather than let the opposition regroup!

Edited by nazvfc

• 1 month later...

At the game he almost was like Sherwood's assistant manager; certainly much more involved. Not the first time i've noticed it either even at the home games I've noticed it.

He must have much more of a role than just a goalkeeper coach.

He's a really vibrant, passionate, loud individual. At least from what I can see. I get the impression that he is basically the assistant manager in all but title yes, though of course we are not privvy to what happens on the training ground. 

Also, he looks like a proper east end villain. I like that. 

Edit - Just googled. He is indeed from Hackney!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Â