The road-map back from the edge of relegation

Marka Ragnos

It's fortunate we are not even further adrift than we are but it still won't be easy. We basically now need to perform like a strong mid table team for the rest of the season to survive and need around 9 wins 9 draws and no more than10 losses from 28 games that would put us on 40 points only!!!

Badly need to stop this run of losses and grab a dirty 1-0 or something like last season against Spurs although I fear it'll be yet another couple of losses in the next two games. A couple of draws even would be massive, even one draw from these two would be huge and give us a chance.

So far of the "tough" fixtures or expected losses we have

Chelsea (a) 0-2 L

Man U (h) 0-1 L

Liverpool (a) 2-3 L

I think it has felt worse because all 3 of those losses were suffered against largely teams deemed to be playing poorly at the time.

What has hurt us most are the capitulation at an in form Leicester (TS fault in my book) and the 3 home losses to WBA ,Stoke and a badly out of form Swansea although I put that last result down to a ridiculous team selection from TS and confidence being at rock bottom.

Now we have a side with zero confidence of course but I can't help feeling that with a new smart manager at the helm and a couple of additions in January especially at the front and back of the team namely a GK and main stiker or two and possibly RB and we have a chance.

We need to eat into those draws and wins however between now & Jan else we'll be too far adrift.

From January onwards we have 19 games to play so 9 before that so we really need at least 12 points from the next 9 to be on course by the time the transfer window opens and those games are

Spurs (a)

Man City (h)

Everton (a)

Watford (h)

Southampton (a)

Arsenal (h)

Newcastle (a)

West Ham (h) (Boxing day)

Norwich (a)

For me 12 points from those fixtures and we have a great chance. We would need then 24 points from the last 19 games to hit 40 points.

Providing we aren't totally cut adrift by the time the winter transfer window opens I think we will spend quite big compared to what we usually spend, not the best time to shop but needs must and I think we will do everything possible to stay in the league IF there a chance of doing so.

If we are cut adrift we will probably do the opposite and sell instead in the window.

Interesting times.

Starts on Monday you can't just throw away points because the matches are difficult on paper in this league any team can beat any other so we must not fall into the trap of throwing away the next two games just because they are difficult fixtures and we are 'managerless'.

Therefore I hope and expect at least SOMETHING out of the next two games. 

I hope the players are thinking the same.

• Like 1

Â