The road-map back from the edge of relegation

Marka Ragnos

Our results have been awful but we could easily be sitting on over 10 pts. We haven't been smashed we've been in every game so it's not a massive change needed. It just needs consistent selection and a pattern of play instead of changing things weekly. Play your best players in their proper positions. If you play Gestede give him a supply line! 

I think the manager can do all the the basics regarding training, tactics and team selection but if players keep making mistakes on the pitch like they have been doing this season and previous seasons to be fair then you are stuffed. 

I think the manager can do all the the basics regarding training, tactics and team selection but if players keep making mistakes on the pitch like they have been doing this season and previous seasons to be fair then you are stuffed. 

Sherwood didn't even do the basics.

His tactics and team selections were atrocious.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Once the new players have a run in the team together, so that can get used each other then the mistakes will dispensary. It will also help if they have manager who actually backs them and gives them confidence.

Our results have been awful but we could easily be sitting on over 10 pts. We haven't been smashed we've been in every game so it's not a massive change needed. It just needs consistent selection and a pattern of play instead of changing things weekly. Play your best players in their proper positions. If you play Gestede give him a supply line! 

I agree. 

Only 4 points from safety, 4 points we have easily deserved but thrown away through individual errors. This as well as having, if you go by the general consensus, one of the most tactically inept managers around. I'm confident we'll survive if we get a manager in who knows what he's doing.

Me to. It is quite frankly baffling how few points we have considering the teams we've faced. We should be sitting close to 15 points in my book. The good thing is we'll play those teams again in the next half of the season.

The worry for me is that we have a tough run of games ahead, and it might get worse before it get's better. At that point confidence will be low and who know what will turn up on the pitch.

Looking ahead there is a very favorable run of games from mid December until end of Feb. We can can pick up a lot of points then. I just hope it won't be too late.

start lining up in a 4231

Guzan

Richards Okore Clark Amavi

Gana Veretout

Traore Gil Grealish

Ayew

for tougher games switch to 4321

Guzan

Gana Sanchez Veretout

Gil Grealish

Ayew

6 from Bunn, Bacuna, Ilori, Hutton, Gardner, Westwood, Sinclair, Gestede, Gabby as subs with the 7th being someone from the Academy (Suliman, Mason, Hepburn Murphy being used most often)

• Use Gestede as plan B with us getting fullbacks on the overlap and crossing at every opportunity.
  • When Gestede is playing get players around him for flick ons and knockdowns
  • Have fullbacks practice crossing .
  • Have us pushing and to compact space and press teams early.
  • I'd drop Westwood for a few games and bring him back in if he trains well.
  • Make substitutions/tactical changes with the the intention of changing the game/strengthening our position rather than just picking someone at random.
  • Extra work on fitness to stop everyone looking dead after an hour.
  • Praise Guzan in every interview to boost his confidence.
  • Tell the scouting team to find a striker, right back and keeper for January.

Accept that with our current start we're nailed on for relegation so we might as well try and score some goals and entertain the fans while we try to get a run to bring us clear.

Edited by V01
words, Formatting.
  • Like 3

My plan:

The goalkeeper should try to save as many shots on our goal as possible

The defenders should try to limit the number of shots on our goal as much as possible

The midfielders should try to create as many chances for the strikers as possible

The strikers should try to score as many of these chances as possible

The team should try to score more goals than they concede

I think this would really help

Tim

start lining up in a 4231

Guzan

Gana Veretout

Traore Gil Grealish

Ayew

for tougher games switch to 4321

Guzan

Gana Sanchez Veretout

Gil Grealish

Ayew

6 from Bunn, Bacuna, Ilori, Hutton, Gardner, Westwood, Sinclair, Gestede, Gabby as subs with the 7th being someone from the Academy (Suliman, Mason, Hepburn Murphy being used most often)

• Use Gestede as plan B with us getting fullbacks on the overlap and crossing at every opportunity.
  • When Gestede is playing get players around him for flick ons and knockdowns
  • Have fullbacks practice crossing .
  • Have us pushing and to compact space and press teams early.
  • I'd drop Westwood for a few games and bring him back in if he trains well.
  • Make substitutions/tactical changes with the the intention of changing the game/strengthening our position rather than just picking someone at random.
  • Extra work on fitness to stop everyone looking dead after an hour.
  • Praise Guzan in every interview to boost his confidence.
  • Tell the scouting team to find a striker, right back and keeper for January.

Accept that with our current start we're nailed on for relegation so we might as well try and score some goals and entertain the fans while we try to get a run to bring us clear.

I think you've nailed it. It's amazing really that most fans can see the problems yet Sherwood hadn't a clue! Fitness levels seem to be low which is the whole point of pre season. Hopefully Duverne comes in and gets them fit the next 3 games are pot luck so use it to get them fit and playing in a specific way. Then we need to beat Watford and have some confidence going into games we have to win! 

I am treating this now as the start to our season and having no preconceptions of the new signings based on how they been used or how they have played. They were used badly in my opinion. So I'll judge them in 10-15 before writing anyone off. But I honestly believe in our squad to get more points over the next 28 games then  Norwich Bournemouth Watford Sunderland. Unless they do something mad like appoint Pearson. we will be fine with the right tactics IMO 

• Like 1

Gana is a machine, but rather than be dumped into a 2 man midfield with Bacuna and being asked to do the work of two men he needs somebody mopping up behind him.

I think Sanchez started the season well. I also believe he's a confidence player, give him a run of games, concentrate on giving him an easy out ball and he will be that protection.

Gil - I'm not asking you to "defend", but harry the opposition when not in possession and work with Gana's engine to move the ball forward or spread it out wide as quickly and efficiently as possible at every opportunity. Shoot on sight please. We will build our attack around you.

Grealish, be Grealish. Thanks.

• Like 1

Play Amavi, Traore, Grealish, Gana, Gil every week. By far and away our best 5 individuals.

Fill the rest with the best player for their position and if Richards doesn't want to play right back then tell him **** off.

Best two centre backs, best right back, fit the rest in and hope some **** scores some goals for us.

Please :(

If you take the Villa tinted spectacles off.

Amavi is an utter defensive liability so not sure why he's picked in every fan team. Yes he has talent and if coached better can be world class but at the moment it pains me to say this - but I get why he isn't starting.

Vertout is another fan starter, and i want and believe he will be great for us, but as yet he's not done anything in the shirt to earn being a starter.

Sanchez can be immense, but he has a ridiculously heavy touch, I honestly think he gets so tired because he miss-controls the ball so often and has to win it back. I've never known a player so good at breaking up play and tackling yet so likely to give the ball away in a dangerous area.

Gana - has a great engine, but disappears in games and is nowhere being the new Delph or better yet as i've said before.

Richards was signed as a centre back, he probably has it written in his contract. He was only good as a right back when he was in his late teens early twenties. Get over it!

I always thought there were tactics and team selections that Tim could use to turn this team around. And it could happen with a new manager but it's going to take time, there are no easy solutions, magical line ups. The only signing that has begun to show his talent recently is Ayew, everyone else has gone backwards.

Edited by VillanousOne

Â