The road-map back from the edge of relegation

Marka Ragnos

Never thought i would say this being an advocate of playing football....after winning the right of course.

Right now, the state we are in I would go 4-5-1 particularly away from home and try and smash & grab a win.

• Like 1

Like any tragedy it's a combination of mistakes that leads to the disaster - given how many mistakes have been made this season already, our only way back from the brink is for Sherwood not to make mistakes - and if he goes out 442 every game regardless of the opposition then we are stuffed.

Give us a clear road map for avoiding the drop. Show us your map!

0d85e0ef1da1210f2adae5aeaeffeb41.jpg

That is some Suez Canal you've got there

Is that the Khyber pass?.....always wanted to go there, but now I'm having second thoughts!

It's the Gulf of Aden, there be pirates

• 7 months later...

Sad to think this thread is probably even more relevant this year -- and a helluva lot earlier.

So ... how DO we come back?

[I'm assuming Tim out is a fait accompli.]

Well, then what? 

Then WTF?

So sick of all the whinging and wailing and "this is the worst I ever remember it" bellyaching.

Chin the **** up!

But what actual steps need to be taken to get back. The season still is fairly young. We're only a few points off.

WHAT NOW?

i'm more concerned with what players we are going to lose next season when were playing in the championship, because i bet we won't come back up on the first attempt

watched Blackburn Burnley today and we have no chance at all of coming straight back up, both teams had more about them than we have for season's.

Football isn't that difficult , start out with a plan, pick your best players, fill them with confidence and let them go, if your winning kill the game, if your losing it then chase the game . 

Football isn't that difficult , start out with a plan, pick your best players, fill them with confidence and let them go, if your winning kill the game, if your losing it then chase the game . 

That was the reason Tim Sherwood got the job and works for a few games maybe. There is more to it. A lot more.

• Like 1

That was the reason Tim Sherwood got the job and works for a few games maybe. There is more to it. A lot more.

but Sherwood has stopped doing exactly that! If he was we wouldn't be where we are 

I will have a bash at this:

first thing i do is work on the 4-5-1 defensive shape, when the other team have the ball. Id work on pressure cover balance of the 5 man midfield and back 4. Id work on transitioning as a unit, throttling space and denying penetration and players popping up between the lines. I'd get us compact and difficult to break down. Getting us mobile to get on the toes of the first attacker, getting a covering defender on the 1st defenders shoulder. Id make teams have to break us down, make us enjoy kicking teams, nasty and take defensing personally, play low pressure to draw them in and then....

When we win the ball id ask to break with speed, guile and directness. Wed have players close to each other, so our first pass wouldn't have to be forward, but wed be able to transition quickly and get into the opponents defensive 3rd, with support and depth if we needed to build at another point on the field.

Id get us absolutely drooling to defend and attack set pieces, make us tough and willing to bang bodies.

Id have us the fittest and hardest working blue collar TEAM in the prem, anybody not on board would be out, the position were in we only need warriors, players who understand what is at stake for this great club. 

Tactically, wed practice if we were up id adjust the shape to pack the midfield and hit more on counter, adjust to specific teams players thru video and statistical analysis, that would aid team selection of our own. If down last 15 minutes wed go hell for leather, push people on and take risks.

Wed practice 2-3 times a day if needed, everything else would be put on hold, your either on board or your not. Id make them understand what the club means to the community/city/fans. No quarter given and every team we played against regardless of man city or Sunderland would get the same respect, but also the same 'no fear' attitude, bring it on.

4-5-1/4-3-3

1- Guzan-forget the possession, dump the ball every time you get it that you dont have 7-10 secs to do something with it. Command your area, be nastier.

2-Richards-get into the talented players on the opposition team, beat them down physically, smash them early, make them dont want the ball again

3-Amavi-work on your 1 vs 1 defending, move your feet, going forward magic, connect with jack and get ahead of him

4-Okore-bully every single player you come across, move your feet and get your head on a swivel

5-Clark-positionally be closer to okore, make sure your the heartbeat and leader of this team.

6-Sanchez-Play like you do for Columbia

7-Traore-Work on defense, you do that, and when you get the ball, frighten them, express yourself, be direct and take them on

8-Gana-Midfield dynamo, got to get fitter, box to box, believe in your ability

9-Gabby-most experienced player on the team, do what your good at, run channels, hold ball up when were in transition and play on the center backs shoulder. 

10-Gill- The craft, unlock the opposition back four, find a slashing jack and traore, keep the GK honest with long range shots. pull the strings.

11-Jack-same as Traore, enjoy yourself son, play with a smile and do the work defensively.

• Like 2

I will have a bash at this:

first thing i do is work on the 4-5-1 defensive shape, when the other team have the ball. Id work on pressure cover balance of the 5 man midfield and back 4. Id work on transitioning as a unit, throttling space and denying penetration and players popping up between the lines. I'd get us compact and difficult to break down. Getting us mobile to get on the toes of the first attacker, getting a covering defender on the 1st defenders shoulder. Id make teams have to break us down, make us enjoy kicking teams, nasty and take defensing personally, play low pressure to draw them in and then....

When we win the ball id ask to break with speed, guile and directness. Wed have players close to each other, so our first pass wouldn't have to be forward, but wed be able to transition quickly and get into the opponents defensive 3rd, with support and depth if we needed to build at another point on the field.

Id get us absolutely drooling to defend and attack set pieces, make us tough and willing to bang bodies.

Id have us the fittest and hardest working blue collar TEAM in the prem, anybody not on board would be out, the position were in we only need warriors, players who understand what is at stake for this great club. 

Tactically, wed practice if we were up id adjust the shape to pack the midfield and hit more on counter, adjust to specific teams players thru video and statistical analysis, that would aid team selection of our own. If down last 15 minutes wed go hell for leather, push people on and take risks.

Wed practice 2-3 times a day if needed, everything else would be put on hold, your either on board or your not. Id make them understand what the club means to the community/city/fans. No quarter given and every team we played against regardless of man city or Sunderland would get the same respect, but also the same 'no fear' attitude, bring it on.

4-5-1/4-3-3

1- Guzan-forget the possession, dump the ball every time you get it that you dont have 7-10 secs to do something with it. Command your area, be nastier.

2-Richards-get into the talented players on the opposition team, beat them down physically, smash them early, make them dont want the ball again

3-Amavi-work on your 1 vs 1 defending, move your feet, going forward magic, connect with jack and get ahead of him

4-Okore-bully every single player you come across, move your feet and get your head on a swivel

5-Clark-positionally be closer to okore, make sure your the heartbeat and leader of this team.

6-Sanchez-Play like you do for Columbia

7-Traore-Work on defense, you do that, and when you get the ball, frighten them, express yourself, be direct and take them on

8-Gana-Midfield dynamo, got to get fitter, box to box, believe in your ability

9-Gabby-most experienced player on the team, do what your good at, run channels, hold ball up when were in transition and play on the center backs shoulder. 

10-Gill- The craft, unlock the opposition back four, find a slashing jack and traore, keep the GK honest with long range shots. pull the strings.

11-Jack-same as Traore, enjoy yourself son, play with a smile and do the work defensively.

I would do something similar, perhaps the biggest changes would be that I think Ayew offers more than Gabby and Sinclair ahead of Traore.  Instructions to Ayew would be, move.  make runs, create space in the back four, the midfield will hit you on many, or capitalize on the space you create.  Instructions to sinclair would be to push up as a second forward when we have possession.  

but Sherwood has stopped doing exactly that! If he was we wouldn't be where we are 

That's true, too. 

There is no way back, were gone and we won't be back anytime soon either 

Personally, I'm more the optimist.  Bring in a new manager and then let's do this shit! We CAN do it.  All is not lost.  Yet.  

• Like 1

If the new manager can get us organised and drilled then I think we have more than enough in the squad to stay up.

It won't be pretty, but I think this group of players, with some better organisation, can get the job done.

Play to our strengths would be a good start. Playing Gestede but without wingers or wide players whipping the ball in was one of the litany of errors sherwood made. 

Don't throw your players under a bus at the earliest possible moment. 

Dont admit you have no effing idea and come out to post match interviews looking like you are going to cry when  your mistakes were the main contributing factor. 

Dont pick a back for which would of been shoddy 5 years ago yet alone today. 

Drop the right players at the right time. How come Lescott keeps his place when being shit at the expense of Ckark. He has cost  us more goals than Amavi has . 

Support your keeper and publicly give him confidence even if he needs replacing. 

Dont needlessly change the shape of the team to gift the opposition the momentum back. 

Give players time to adapt by consistent selections and as much as possible formations. 

Remember if a player doesn't perform in the first 10 games he isn't a write off.  

Edited by thabucks
Auto correct

There is no way back, were gone and we won't be back anytime soon either 

Personally, I'm more the optimist.  Bring in a new manager and then let's do this shit! We CAN do it.  All is not lost.  Yet.  

We don't have any leaders in this team, or any decent midfielders which is a key area that you can't afford to be shit in. We are massivley shit in the middle of the park, no protection for the back four and no creativity

Â