The road-map back from the edge of relegation

Marka Ragnos

We certainly need a little bit of luck - can't believe we're the only Prem team yet to be awarded a penalty this season (just to goes to show how little our players are in the opposition box!).

Confidence must be rock bottom and a scruffy win could work wonders but I just feel we're never going to get the rub of the green this season.

Guarentee that Newcastle, after being thumped yesterday, will be so fired up next week we'll be blown of the park within the first 30 minutes.

There lies our problem.

when every other teams gets a tanking....we (the fans) are expecting a reaction from them.

when we get a tanking.... we expect another one next game.

no one believes this team of ours has any fight in them.

Newcastle - win

West Brom - win

West Brom (FA Cup) - win

Sunderland - win

Swansea - win

Man Utd - win

Spurs - win

FA Cup Semi Final - win

QPR - win

Man City - win

Everton - win

West Ham - win

S'oton - win

Burnley - win

FA Cup Final - win

36 points gained.

we stay up. And win the FA cup.

Fixed a little.

• Like 1

---------------------Guzan---------------------

Hutton-------Okore------Clark---Cissokho

----------Delph--------------Westwood------

Sinclair-------------------------------Bacuna

--------------------Gil--------------------------

----------------------Tekkers------------------

Gabby, Weimann, Grealish, Zog, Cleverley, Sanchez, Richardson, Vlaar, Lowton, Baker, Given.

It's a GOOD squad, and it's annoying that we're not looking like one.

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 1

---------------------Guzan---------------------

Hutton-------Okore------Clark---Cissokho

----------Delph--------------Westwood------

Sinclair-------------------------------Bacuna

--------------------Gil--------------------------

----------------------Tekkers------------------

Gabby, Weimann, Grealish, Zog, Cleverley, Sanchez, Richardson, Vlaar, Lowton, Baker, Given.

It's a GOOD squad, and it's annoying that we're not looking like one.

I just don't think Benteke can be allowed on the pitch. How many times do we need to bang our head against the wall before we realize he's not going to produce?

i'm more concerned with what players we are going to lose next season when were playing in the championship, because i bet we won't come back up on the first attempt

Why? If these clowns get us relegated then the vast majority deserve to **** off out of the club!  :)

• Like 1

i'm more concerned with what players we are going to lose next season when were playing in the championship, because i bet we won't come back up on the first attempt

Everyone said the same of Newcastle when they went down. Crap owner, firesale of big name players, no experienced manager in charge etc. What happened? They kept hold of some of their better players, blitzed the Championship came straight back up and have stayed up since. That season is now thought of as a minor blip in their PL existence.

There's no reason to believe that we would "do a Leeds" anymore than we would "do a Newcastle" - and that's only IF we go down. There's still only GD in it and 12 games to go

• Like 1

Even though I don't know what goes on behind closed doors or have the slightest inkling about how a Premier League club is run day to day here is what I would do.

I don't think you can pick the same team every week - it needs to be tailored against every opponent. However I think you need to play the percentages and pick the best players without prejudice. No need to spite anyone at the moment. Some players are playing better than others but they've all been pretty terrible really. Therefore I find myself gravitating towards what I think was the best formation and players we've had for a while, which was the 4-4-2 of the MON days. We've got similar players too.

Friedel - Guzan: similar

Hutton - Luke Young: I'm not a massive Hutton fan so I think Luke Young shades this. I think Hutton is far too conservative down the wing and for how much of the ball he gets there he stops and goes backwards far too much. I'd love to get Lowton in there again but it looks like he's chosen food and drink over a football career.

Vlaar/Okore/Senderos/Baker/Clark - all similar to Bin Dunne, James Collins and any stand ins we had. In fact none of them seem like a weak link.

Cissokho/Richardson - Bouma/Warnock - Warnock pretty similar to Cissokho really but Bouma vastly superior to Richardson. Our current full back choices are so poor :(

Then we generally had a midfield 3 along the lines of NRC, Petrov and Barry - like for like we've got Delph, Westwood/Sanchez and Gil. 1 box to box, 1 solid DM and 1 passer mid to spread the ball around.

Up front we had the big man and fast man in Carew and Gabby. Again similar in Benteke and still Gabby.

The major key to MON's play was getting the ball to Ashley Young on the left for him to curl the ball inwards onto Carew's head, then you would have various people ready for knock downs and flick ons. We only have Sinclair for this and we haven't seen enough yet to see if he can consistently put it on someone's head. He's also on the wrong side.

So with all of that aside, depending on the opposition I'd go

Guzan
Hutton     Okore     Clark      Cissokho

Delph   Westwood     Gil
Sinclair
         Benteke    Agbonlahor

With instructions for Guzan to always kick it long to Benteke unless there's an obvious quick break on and someone ready to receive a throw.

Westwood should play the Petrov role of sitting deep, get the ball, shield the ball and bring others into play.

Delph in the NRC box to box role with instructions to pick the ball up and _RUN_. Drive at the opposition defence as long as he isn't the last man.

Benteke and Agbonlahor to camp in the opposition's box. Sinclair to always get it back onto his left and cross inswinging. The same thing over and over is what Ashley Young has built a career out of.

Gabby can drop out to the left to help Gil and Cissokho if need be. He always used to do this anyway.

As far as training goes, the number 1 drill would be hours and hours of shooting. Get everyone shooting constantly. Our shots have been shit for far too long. If there's the possibility of a shot at any time in the match, take it. Take enough shots, some will go straight in or at least deflect in, or give us a corner.

Last thing - a few modern techniques for player fitness need to be looked into if we don't already do them. Focus on players' diets and give more guidance on recovery etc. If Sherwood already does this then we should see the fruits in a few weeks anyway.

i wouldnt, they should be ashamed of themselves as it is. Any player involved in a relegation with Villa should be disgraced and if it happens hopefully Sherwood will sign hungry players who want to be at the clib

FWIW on current form only Vlaar and Guzan will be wanted by top flight teams

I'm not even the slightest bit worried we might "do a Leeds". We would be back within 3 years.

Of course we'd be starting from the bottom again, but aren't we kidding ourselves if we think we are anywhere but the bottom right now?

I fully agree - the only way to make the unbearable pain of relegation better, and to stop sh*tting oneself every week anticpating yet another 'must-win' - is to take a longer term view - it'll be three years in the championship max, with the biggest budget of any club down there while still breaking even. We've been sh*t for a very long time and our way back at the mo is under Fox, with a professional structure and the right people within that structure. This will take longer than 12 games.

• Like 1

I dont think people remember just what a state Leeds were in when they went down, I think they started the championship season with a front 2 of Julian Joachim and michael Ricketts

IF we go down I firmly believe we can keep a majority of the players, aside from Benteke who will any other clubs covet? Gil? Possibly, Delph just signed a new deal, he wont go anywhere unless we got a big fee for him

We have a core of good players, certainly good enough not to be in this mess we are in, they have just been coached in such a bad way for such a long time losing has become the norm.

I think the road back starts with something as simple and obvious as a win, at the moment it doesn't seem like the squad thinks they can win. If we can register that win under the new management im sure the attitude will change for the rest of the games.

Exactly, this showed on Saturday, played well for 20 minutes, went 1 up then the players looked shocked to be winning, the psychological boost a win would give them will be massive, but that win needs to come in the next 2 games

I think the road back starts with something as simple and obvious as a win, at the moment it doesn't seem like the squad thinks they can win. If we can register that win under the new management im sure the attitude will change for the rest of the games.

And this passes the Occam's Razor test, too, does it not?

Kind of "Theories schmeories -- we just need a win!"

• Like 1

Get relegated -> Lerner cuts his losses and sells -> Sell all lazy non passionate players -> Villa blood youth players -> Win Championship -> Stay in Premiership -> New team of Villa Wonderkids emerge -> Villa win FA Cup and finish top 4 -> Win League

• Like 1

Get relegated -> Lerner cuts his losses and sells -> Sell all lazy non passionate players -> Villa blood youth players -> Win Championship -> Stay in Premiership -> New team of Villa Wonderkids emerge -> Villa win FA Cup and finish top 4 -> Win League---> Nicho decides that crack is not good for you and quits

Corrected.

Â