Bankrupt Parma unable to fulfil fixture this weekend.

The_Rev

they looked down anyway from the table with a points deduction but didnt they have a recent dispute with Cassano so no surprise though last season they had a squad of about 150 players so sort of makes sense

great team back in the 90s and looking at that photo it was a glorious team and would have been best around in any other league. was some XI

Edited by Zatman

Serie A, the 90's and early 2000's, what a wonderful period of football that was, I might have been young but I can still hear the Football Italia theme tune and James Richardson's commentary as he holds up a newspaper explaining what it says, simpler times. 

That Parma team really was outstanding wasn't it?

Such a shame what has happened, just hope they can somehow survive after their impending relegation.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

They had quite a promising team that arose from the aftermath of the aforementioned star-studded one in the early 00's also with Frey, Bonera, Ferrari (?), Bresciano, Adriano, Gilardino etc. Managed by Prandelli at the time (I think).

Just another casualty of the greater malaise that has engulfed Serie A, accelerated by the general economic situation. Truly saddening.

Remember in the 1990s when Parma had one of the best teams in Europe?  Guys like Buffon, Thuram, Cannavaro, Sensini, Veron, Crespo, Ortega, Chiesa, Dino Baggio and Asprilla on their books?  

Tomas Brolin, Fernando Couto and Gianfranco Zola as well!

I always played as Parma in Champ Manager Italia 95 (remember when it was a separately purchased game for each league?). They had a solid core of Italians in the team from 

Buffon in goal, Mussi, Benarrivo, Apolloni and Minotti in defence (I think most may have all been in the Italy 94 WC squad) Baggio and Fiore in midfield and Zola, Melli and Branca up front. Nevio Scala in charge

Great team back in the day. Sad times now  :(

Edited by Xela

Udinese get awared a 3 nil I take it or do they just wait for Parma to sort themselves out and play the game later on in the season?

Doubt they would be made to wait until parma could afford it. Opens a big can of worms for clubs finding excuses to postpone games.

3-0 Udinese is most likely outcome.

Middlesbrough failed to fulfil a fixture against Blackburn in 1996/97.  They pulled out of an away game at Ewood Park in December 1996 at the start of the busy run of fixtures over Christmas citing that the entire squad had flu.  The game was rearranged to be the penultimate game of the season and ended 0-0.   Middlesbrough got docked three points for failing to fulfill that fixture and it literally relegated them.  Without the deduction they would have finished 14th, ahead of West Ham on goals scored.  Instead they finished 19th and went down.  

At the risk of going off on a tangent It was a tight table at both ends that year.  Had Middlesbrough not been deducted points then Coventry would have been relegated on goal difference ahead of Southampton and at the top of the table Newcastle (2nd) Arsenal (3rd) and Liverpool (4th) all finished on 68 points with identical W-D-L records (19-11-8) and Newcastle got into the Champions League (only 2 spots back then) on goal difference.  

Middlesbrough failed to fulfil a fixture against Blackburn in 1996/97. They pulled out of an away game at Ewood Park in December 1996 at the start of the busy run of fixtures over Christmas citing that the entire squad had flu. The game was rearranged to be the penultimate game of the season and ended 0-0. Middlesbrough got docked three points for failing to fulfill that fixture and it literally relegated them. Without the deduction they would have finished 14th, ahead of West Ham on goals scored. Instead they finished 19th and went down.

At the risk of going off on a tangent It was a tight table at both ends that year. Had Middlesbrough not been deducted points then Coventry would have been relegated on goal difference ahead of Southampton and at the top of the table Newcastle (2nd) Arsenal (3rd) and Liverpool (4th) all finished on 68 points with identical W-D-L records (19-11-8) and Newcastle got into the Champions League (only 2 spots back then) on goal difference.

I forgot about Boro. Looking back, why on earth didn't they just play the kids? Did they rely think they would get away with it? BEST case was a 3-0 loss. What happened was even worse.

Mental. Those were the days.

That's made me sad.  I was reading about it in the week and all the memories came back of watching them back in the 90s.

For this to happen to any team (even our grubby, illiterate neighbours) is heartbreaking.  The despair of being a fan who has to watch the club die in front of their eyes must be unbearable.  It's hard enough watching our club gradually become riddled with arthritis in the last few years.

Â