AVR#110 Aston Villa Review (Podcast) Sherwood appointed, FA Cup progress

The_Rev

Bit late this week. The show got posted about ten minutes after I left for work (I was literally walking to the station when my phone beeped to alert me the new episode was up)

FEBRUARY 18, 2015

Aston Villa Review: Episode 110 - Tim Sherwood appointed and Villa progress in the FA Cup
Aston Villa wasted no time in finding a replacement for sacked manager Paul Lambert and their predictable choice is Tim Sherwood, the favourite for every Premier League vacancy since he left Tottenham Hotspur. In this week's show, Chris and Steve discuss the appointment with mixed feelings. Above all else, the simple fact that there's been a change has cheered us up some.

Meanwhile, the football matches are arriving thick and fast. Villa handled their business against Leicester City in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup on Sunday, setting up a quarter-final against West Bromwich Albion, and face Stoke City at home in the next league game on Saturday. We talk about both games in the latest Aston Villa Review.

Link to show page

Link to audio file

Within a minute I'm annoyed at Chris saying that the appointment of Sherwood shows how far we have fallen under Lerner. 

John Gregory anyone? Turned out to be decent for us, but he came to us from doing an average job at Wycombe. What did he "earn"?

Lerner also bought in some high profile names in O'Neill and Houllier and gave us all the man we wanted in Lambert. This time Fox got his man, he may not be the man "we" wanted but that doesn't make it automatically and unambitious appointment. I'm surprised actually, I tend to agree with most things Chris says. 

I think it's poorly thought out. They even talk about Gregory later on.

He goes on to say that if he (Sherwood) is a success long term then that will be down to luck rather than judgement. I can't get my head around that. Its a bit like saying signing God all those years back, or plucking Yorke off the beach was a stroke of luck rather than a moment of brilliance by a brilliant manager.

No, I'm not comparing Fox to Taylor or Sherwood to Paul McGrath. I'm using it to illustrate a point.

Pod is decent though, even if I disagree with a fair chunk of what I heard. Nice one.

• Like 1

I think he summed it up with Marshall's words. You don't cut your teeth here, you earn it.

Sherwood, whether he ends up being good or not, has done the grand total of **** all in management.

Gregory had years of management under his belt.

Chris' point was that the mere fact that we're hiring a manager who has earned absolutely nothing so far in management and has 4 months experience as a caretaker says a lot. There's no way we'd have considered someone like him 5 years ago. There's no way any club in the top half would consider him.

Gregory had 3 years of poor management experience under his belt at a lower level. That was my point. This club is not immune to appointing inexperienced managers, taking a punt now and then. We have no God given right to big names. I find the very notion ridiculous.

I suppose it's a pet hate of mine.

Edit - we are not in the top half. Haven't been for a long time. If that was his point then fair enough but it was poorly presented.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I don't get the argument that Sherwood is not a long term appointment.

As it stands, we have major problems and the only thing that matters is staying in the Premier League. Relegation would be a disaster. The club can't plan beyond the end of the season as we can not guarantee which league we'll be in next season.

Sherwood being appointed will ggive us a short term boost which will hopefully push us over the line and we can worry about next season later.

Also don't agree with Chris saying how we'd picked Sherwood because his name was on the back of the papers. Realistically, who else could we have got in mid-season? Some of the names being banded about we're just ridiculous.

Love the podcast, keep it up lads!

Edited by benireduk

I think John Gregory was a bit different to Sherwood as he had Villa connections. He was an ex player of course but he was assistant manager here for a couple of years under Brian Little before he left to take the #1 job at Wycombe. He'd have had personal relationships with Herbert and quite a few players in the squad when he came back.

Also don't agree with Chris saying how we'd picked Sherwood because his name was on the back of the papers. Realistically, who else could we have got in mid-season? Some of the names being banded about we're just ridiculous.

Allardyce?  I don't know if there were any enquiries made but to be honest he would have been a pretty solid appointment.

I realise that. I don't think it matters to the point being made. It's not really about Sherwood or Gregory.

He was not a proven manager, certainly not of any quality. 

I agree that it doesn't change the fact that neither manager was proven but  add some context to Gregory's appointment and maybe it does matter.  JG was something of an insider at Villa Park which I'm sure helped with his application massively.  I doubt Gregory would have got the job had he not known as many of the upper management, players and coaching staff as he did.  

Sherwood doesn't really know anyone at Aston Villa as far as I'm aware, save for relationships like the one he has with Shay Given (from their time together at Blackburn in the 1990s) so his appointment doesn't correspond one to one with how Gregory got the job.  

Maybe that's exactly what we need

I realise that. I don't think it matters to the point being made. It's not really about Sherwood or Gregory.

He was not a proven manager, certainly not of any quality.

Sherwood doesn't really know anyone at Aston Villa as far as I'm aware, save for relationships like the one he has with Shay Given (from their time together at Blackburn in the 1990s) so his appointment doesn't correspond one to one with how Gregory got the job.

That was his point. There wasn't anyone that we could get who was available.

So we had to go for Sherwood.

If we were where we were 4 or 5 years ago then we'd have been able to make a better choice and Sherwood wouldn't have even come into the equation.

OK. Maybe he'll pop on at some point to argue the toss.

Spot on about Cleverley having a really good game, I had him as MOTM and also Koncheskey. I **** hate that word removed. Now THAT was a red card challenge Stevo. 

No argument there.

"If we were where we were 4 or 5 years ago then we'd have been able to make a better choice and Sherwood wouldn't have even come into the equation."

There is a HUGE amount of supposition there. We are looking at this from the outside, inside our little fan bubbles. 4 years ago there was apparently nobody better than McLeish.

Sherwood is inexperienced, absolutely. His personality has rubbed some people up the wrong way (myself included) before he has even set foot in the door. However, there is a possibility here that he is genuinely the man Fox wanted most of all (realistically). They are building a system here, no more O'Neill type overlord managers, perhaps Sherwood fits our exact needs and it's not a case of who we can and can't attract but rather who is *right*, whether we as fans agree or not. We did chose Paul Lambert after all.

I just don't think people generally give things enough time before they judge one way or another. We're too reactionary. I understand that a podcast needs to be opinionated to some degree, but it would have been nice to hear something a bit more balanced.

I just don't see what Sherwood has done to say he's earned a job at a top half club.

I'd argue he hasn't done anything to earn a job here let alone a top half club.

I don't think any top half club would take a punt on somebody who has as little experience as Sherwood. Maybe if he was a former player for them they would. But apart from that they wouldn't.

I don't think it's a mad thing to say that's evidence of where we are as a club right now.

Edit: that's not even a criticism of Sherwood. I just think no matter how impressive he's been in interviews or whatever, we've taken a huge gamble on nothing much more than potential. better teams wouldn't have to do that. They might go for someone unproven in the league but they wouldn't go for someone who has never actually been a proper manager.

Edited by Stevo985

Â