FA Cup Memories

dont_do_it_doug.

but Reading were a 2nd division team, was a good day but not sure everybody would agree it was that much of a high. Was a game we were expected to win and nearly made a balls of it 

And likewise Chelsea were top of the league and most expected them to win.

Comebacks are usually pretty special - I'm not saying it was the greatest Villa FA cup game ever, just that it was one of the more memorable games.

of course they were but the disappintment was the way we folded and then JOhn Terry telling the world after that Chelsea knew we would fall to pieces after 70 minutes

I never said it wasn't disappointing, just that if you include that as a low then it seems a bit silly not to include Reading as a high.

Highlights -

Dublin's comeback penalty kick in the Semi at Wembley versus Bolton.

Carbone's goal against Leeds in the same cup run...

Merson's heroic endeavour in that same Leeds game - he injured himself for the cause. Magic Man.

Collymore scores in an FA Cup against Albion - 1998?

Carew's hat-trick at Reading in 2010... two of my mates appearing in the BBC picture of a penalty being scored - almost hi-def.

Low Points -

Being shushed by Damon Albarn at Wembley 2010 in the semi, when they scored their first goal. Word removed. He was in the middle ring and looking down on us in the mosh pit.

Chelsea - 2000 cup final - words and words removed. Dennis words removed Wise... Cross eyed word removed.

Having the mickey taken out of me by words removedish Chelsea fans on the tube back to Stanmore. Words removed.

Ruud Van Nistlepiss in THAT game... we were the usual two nil up with 10 to play?

Liverpool in 1996 - that was never a 3-0 game. Southgate - I blamed him for playing on when he should have come off.

Losing away on penalties to Wimbledon in the fog in 1993 - replay.

Dwight Yorke scoring for Blackburn in the 3rd round at Villa Park. My god that hurt. Even worse, he grinned like a Cheshire cat into the Holte. Word removed. I used to love him. Word removed.

One to grow on -

Bacuna's lovely goal against Leicester... Come the **** on!

Bloody hell ! I can barely remember what I had for breakfast ! Impressive.

• Like 2

OK, I am probably the only one to remember this, and it's getting a bit vague now, but has to be the 1957 Cup Final against Manchester United. Had only started supporting them in 1956, so it was a fantastic feeling. And Northern Ireland's Peter McParland scoring both goals was the icing on the cake. 

• Like 4

More lows than highs. 

Lows: 1968 R4 Rotherham (h) 0-1, 1970 R1 Torquay (a) 1-3, 1971 R1 Southend (a) 0-1, 1980 R6 West Ham (a) 0-1, 1990 R6 Oldham (a) 0-3, 1992 R6 Liverpool (a) 0-1, 2000 F Chelsea 0-1, 2002 R3 Manchester Utd (h) 2-3, 2010 SF Chelsea 0-3, 2013 R4 Millwall 1-2 & 2014 R3 Sheffield Utd 1-2.

Highs: 1969 R4 Southampton (h) 2-1, 1974 R4 Arsenal (a) 1-1 & (h) 2-0, 1982 R3 Notts Co (a) 6-0, 1996 R6 Forest (a) 1-0, 2000 R5 Leeds (h) 3-2.  

Bit selective that. I mean, if the SF defeat to Chelsea in 2010 is a low then surely the 4-2 win over Reading (when we came back from 2-0 at HT) has got to be a high as well?

I think it is all about being selective. We will all have different memories (some longer than others for example). Many of us will also have been hit harder by some defeats and will have taken more from some wins than others might have (for example the win at Forest in 96 was not a great game in itself but it was significant to me as it got us past R6 for the first time in so long). 

These are the games that stood out for me whether for positive or negative reasons. There will be other games as has already been shown that stand out for others on VT that are either included in my list or are not (such as the Reading win in your case). Each of us know which games stand out for us and this offers an opportunity to share our opinions. They may differ but they are all relevant and jog the memory nicely for me.                  

• Like 1

More lows than highs. 

Lows: 1968 R4 Rotherham (h) 0-1, 1970 R1 Torquay (a) 1-3, 1971 R1 Southend (a) 0-1, 1980 R6 West Ham (a) 0-1, 1990 R6 Oldham (a) 0-3, 1992 R6 Liverpool (a) 0-1, 2000 F Chelsea 0-1, 2002 R3 Manchester Utd (h) 2-3, 2010 SF Chelsea 0-3, 2013 R4 Millwall 1-2 & 2014 R3 Sheffield Utd 1-2.

Highs: 1969 R4 Southampton (h) 2-1, 1974 R4 Arsenal (a) 1-1 & (h) 2-0, 1982 R3 Notts Co (a) 6-0, 1996 R6 Forest (a) 1-0, 2000 R5 Leeds (h) 3-2.  

Yes the 69 one against Southampton, didn't we have something like 59000 in the ground. 

We did 59,084 although it seemed many more on the night. Great game and atmosphere. Goals from Broadbent & Martin gave us a victory as well as some belated revenge against the team who had beaten us on the last day of our 66-67 relegation season 6-2.  

Â