Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Globes are, globes transferred to 2D are not

Indeed, but the thing about globes is that to me - they look like the 2D projection pushed into a 3D model - which is the thing that doesn't work well in reverse - are our globes an interpretation of a 2D projection that isn't true, or are they a true reflection of the size of the big bits of mud and rock?

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Indeed, but the thing about globes is that to me - they look like the 2D projection pushed into a 3D model - which is the thing that doesn't work well in reverse - are our globes an interpretation of a 2D projection that isn't true, or are they a true reflection of the size of the big bits of mud and rock?

Pretty much a true reflection apart from the earth not actually being a perfect sphere ,roughly, it's slightly wider round the equator than is is circumnavigating the world pole to pole. Essentially though it is a true reflection

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If you actually read what I wrote it would make things easier for you. 

I'll help you. "As close to correct projection as possible". 

If you need that further explain let me know. But I know you don't, as you understood well what I asked for.

As people have said, no map projection is more 'correct' than any other. It just depends what you're trying to show. If you get the sizes right, the shapes will be all wrong. And vice versa. Only a globe can show things (roughly) 'as they are'. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

How maps can be misleading. The flat Map is the current Presidential Approval / dissaproval in each county in the USA but then it changes to th map adjusted to population. Red approves of Trum, Blue doesn't

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As people have said, no map projection is more 'correct' than any other. It just depends what you're trying to show. If you get the sizes right, the shapes will be all wrong. And vice versa. Only a globe can show things (roughly) 'as they are'. 

Exactly. And you're right, not even complex 3D models are totally accurate or correct. There are various Geodetic models that are used in navigation  - e.g. GNSS/GPS etc. Some are more accurate for Europe (the Western military tends to use WGS84 though, others are more accurate for other parts of the Globe - ED50, for example). I mean they're all astonishingly good, all things considered, but none are perfect and they get updated from time to time - the WGS84 geodetic model was updated about 15 years ago, because the earth and its topography changes - islands form, mountains sink, coasts are eroded...etc. Plus satellite technology gives ever better definition and accuracy of heights and so on.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I guess the 3D vs 2D is why the Mercator Projection is a thing (whether it's true or not is another debate)

mercator-vs-truesize.png

Hadn't really thought too much about it before, but I guess I assumed that the Mercator would distort equally towards both the north and south (or even over-inflate the northern continents). But look at how much Greenland, North America and Russia 'shrink', compared to South America, Africa and Australia. 

EDIT: Or have I got it the wrong way round vis a vis dark blue and light blue? 

Edited by mjmooney

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hadn't really thought too much about it before, but I guess I assumed that the Mercator would distort equally towards both the north and south (or even over-inflate the northern continents). But look at how much Greenland, North America and Russia 'shrink', compared to South America, Africa and Australia. 

EDIT: Or have I got it the wrong way round vis a vis dark blue and light blue? 

No you are correct, the dark blue is the shrinkage.

It's to do with the longitude and latitude. Although neither maps are going to be anywhere near perfectly reliable spec.

imagee.gif

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Loads of map based schizz in Waterstones, wall maps, globes, jigsaws.

48887351982_ec6529827f_n.jpg

I could have made the collection bigger but my missus was watching me from over by the bdsm section.

Do they have any with correct proportions?

• Haha 2

Â