Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

You would be surprised how little that has changed really. I think the only significant change is Paris, which is 2hr 15m on the Eurostar. And I guess the great thing about Eurostar is that both St Pancras International and the Gare du Nord are both smack bang in the centre of their respective cities, so door to door times destroy anything that air travel between the two cities can offer. You could go from standing on Oxford Street to standing on the Champs Elysées in less than three hours.

Newcastle Airport is the 13th busiest airport in the UK. Its about half as busy as Birmingham in terms of passenger numbers and aeroplane movements. Its very much a short haul place though. I think the majority of its business is domestic flights, the international stuff doesnt tend to make it much further than the Mediterranean.

• 2 weeks later...

photo_1246056700.png

(I believe that when the map refers to alcohol they really mean beer)

I suspect that New Hampshire's consumption is so high because it's taxed less than in neighboring states, so a certain amount of consumption from those states is captured by New Hampshire.

Nevada is obviously because of the tourist trade.

Montana and North Dakota? Perhaps there's just nothing to do but drink beer?

That's quite possible, as Alberta does maintain a government monopoly over the wholesaling of alcoholic beverages, while Saskatchewan and Manitoba have government monopolies for the retailing of alcoholic beverages... and checking the website for Manitoba, the cheapest 12-packs run about $17 or so (which is about 50% higher than I'd reckon they go for in North Dakota).

Of course, I suspect that there's a lot of booze being smuggled across the border in both directions, since Canada, being a generally civilized country, allows 18-year-olds to drink...

Most civilised countries do I find.

There are some countries that will allow teenagers to go off and die in a war for them, but not to enjoy a beer with their friends and family if they do make it back unscathed..

Most civilised countries do I find.

There are some countries that will allow teenagers to go off and die in a war for them, but not to enjoy a beer with their friends and family if they do make it back unscathed..

Amen. Land of the free.

• 2 weeks later...

Map of 3G coverage from AT&T (blue is 3G service, darker oranges indicate stronger EDGE service, white means no data service (and quite possibly no voice service either)... yes, AT&T uses GSM)

Comparison of Verizon 3G coverage vs. AT&T 3G coverage (T-Mobile and Sprint are a good ways behind)

starmap.jpg

[uS-centric] map of what aliens are watching on television now...

If there's any justice in the universe, the tasteful aliens circling Procyon are watching Homicide: Life on the Street right now.

Â