Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its because the poles are really a point, not a flat plane the same width as the equator, the closer to the poles you are the greater the exaggeration

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Is the size difference just through adjusting for the fact you're putting it onto a flat surface, or are certain countries deliberately made bigger for other reasons?

(Like if that projection was an American "invention" is the USA made to appear bigger?)

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Is the size difference just through adjusting for the fact you're putting it onto a flat surface, or are certain countries deliberately made bigger for other reasons?

(Like if that projection was an American "invention" is the USA made to appear bigger?)

no it's purely the poles thing, there's no deliberate making a country look bigger

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm always amazed at the size of Australia on the Mercator maps.  Relative to the population, it's **** humongous! And only 1 country!  Wouldn't fancy backpacking one side to the other! 

It’s mungous. I’m there now, and the nearest big city is 2 and a half hours different in time zone. But what a place!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 13:03, lapal_fan said:

I'm always amazed at the size of Australia on the Mercator maps.  Relative to the population, it's **** humongous! And only 1 country!  Wouldn't fancy backpacking one side to the other! 

Thing is the only population centers are really on the coasts. The middle of the country (the majority of it) is bloody useless as far as us whitey Europeans go.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Thing is the only population centers are really on the coasts. The middle of the country (the majority of it) is bloody useless as far as us whitey Europeans go.

it's all bloody useless as far as cricket goes :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2018 at 18:03, lapal_fan said:

ZB80CdE.png

It's mostly desert. There is more desert in Australia than there is on the Arabian peninsula. Even the grassland is essentially uninhabitable. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That tiny sliver of Russia at the top is fascinating me. It must squeeze past the edge of the UK and then just miss the Faroes, then squeeze past greenland and go over the arctic to Russia?

Maybe it being a globe makes it easier to picture, but just from my head I'm really surprised at that bit.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That tiny sliver of Russia at the top is fascinating me. It must squeeze past the edge of the UK and then just miss the Faroes, then squeeze past greenland and go over the arctic to Russia?

Maybe it being a globe makes it easier to picture, but just from my head I'm really surprised at that bit.

Yeah, I think that's what it is. The part I'm struggling with is the seeming implication that heading directly west leads to Cuba?

Â