Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep, Midlands is Midlands but between the two, we’re probably closer to the North in spirit.

Didn’t we have a similar conversation recently about where the North began? Just above Stoke I’d guess.

Years ago I was drinking in Chesterfield on a Monday night - yes it was as good as it sounds - and I remember thinking at the time it felt reasonably northern.

Oh, Chesterfield is definitely northern. 

How about Nottingham? Midlands, I'd say. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've always felt the opposite. Midlands is Midlands, neither north nor south, but if it has to be a two-way split, I always considered that we had far more in common with the north than the south. 

Same. I deal with businesses from all over the UK and the Midlands are more comparable with the North than the South. 

I much prefer dealing with clients in Manchester or Liverpool or Cumbria then anything in London or the South East.

I've said it on here before but the very worst people in this country come from Kent and Essex

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Didn’t we have a similar conversation recently about where the North began? Just above Stoke I’d guess.

Years ago I was drinking in Chesterfield on a Monday night - yes it was as good as it sounds - and I remember thinking at the time it felt reasonably northern.

Stoke is Staffs so I say Midlands, but just north into Cheshire then definitely North.

Chesterfield... very northern Derbyshire so i'd say it squeezes into the Midlands but 2 miles north and into Sheffield, then obviously North. 

Chesterfield and Mansfield are both North for me, no question. Everything north of Stoke is North, with the possible exception of the posho's in Lincoln. 

That map is genius; takes a brave man to assert that Leeds is South and Harrogate is North!

• Like 1

So how far to east does the Midlands reach before it becomes East Anglia then? Somewhere between Kettering and Peterborough?

Also, that Radio 4 North/South map while obviously a joke annoys me as I’m fairly certain I fall right on the boundary line.

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

So how far to east does the Midlands reach before it becomes East Anglia then? Somewhere between Kettering and Peterborough?

Also, that Radio 4 North/South map while obviously a joke annoys me as I’m fairly certain I fall right on the boundary line.

East of the A1?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Is that how it’s more or less considered? Looks about right in fairness.

My entirely scientific rationale is that you don't have to go far east of the A1 to find comedic place names that were incidentally mentioned in 'I'm Alan Partridge'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My entirely scientific rationale is that you don't have to go far east of the A1 to find comedic place names that were incidentally mentioned in 'I'm Alan Partridge'. 

Haha good rule of thumb.

Off topic but I remember seeing an interview with Steve Coogan and he was simply asked “Why Norwich?”. I think he basically said it’s not north or south, it’s not really on the way to anywhere apart Great Yarmouth. It’s kind of isolated in its own way and forgotten about which suited Partridge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

North or South of the Watford Gap is what I've always gone on 

That's not a bad cut off.

Personally I'd go with the previously mentioned cut off of about Stoke. I consider Birmingham, Leamington, Coventry etc to be in the south. But I definitely consider Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool etc to be in the north. Stoke can toss a coin

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

North or South of the Watford Gap is what I've always gone on 

Not quite that simple, Watford Gap is like the pivot but these are the usual boundaries of North and South as used by Human Geographers. In my day learning this crap it was the Severn / Trent Line but there are a couple of others too

Realistically its the Severn Wash line that's the most sensible imo

North-south_in_UK.png

Â