Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I think that's what it is. The part I'm struggling with is the seeming implication that heading directly west leads to Cuba?

Probably to do with curvature of the earth and that it's not quite directly west. More of a downard angle. I'd say the USA sliver is directly west, which makes more sense.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Probably to do with curvature of the earth and that it's not quite directly west. More of a downard angle. I'd say the USA sliver is directly west, which makes more sense.

Also depends how they determined travelling from Ireland in a straight line. I suspect they put a pin in the geographical centre of Ireland which would give some false readings

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, BOF said:

A 1595 map of Europe.

0uxgto2hx5921.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

The mythical island of "Brasil" (I think spelling varies) off the coast of Ireland is quite a fascinating thing. Appears on loads and loads of maps. you can see it there under the A in "EUROPAE"

A load of expeditions were sent to find it but it's (obviously) never existed.

I always thought it was because someone told them "brazil" was in that direction :D

But apparently it has no connection to Brazil at all. The name is a coincidence

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, bickster said:

North Londoners Stereotypes of the Rest of the UK

NorthLondonUKStereotypes.png

This reminds me of a friend of mine who insists that 'the South' in the UK is literally London and Kent, and everything else is the North.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This reminds me of a friend of mine who insists that 'the South' in the UK is literally London and Kent, and everything else is the North.

I've said this before on here, but in our halls at uni we did some sort of drinking game where we all split into teams of North and South.

I was stunned when people insisted that I was put into the "north" team. I'd never really thought about it but my assumption was that Midlands still counted as South.

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah it's the eh?... Oh yes... haha that makes it funny when you realise where it is and their respective reputations

it was more the matter of factness, imagined in a cockney accent. San Francisco

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've always felt the opposite. Midlands is Midlands, neither north nor south, but if it has to be a two-way split, I always considered that we had far more in common with the north than the south. 

Well I was going purely on location of Birmingham, which I guess I considered to be the south of the country. Or at least, when someone talks about "the north", I never once assumed that included me.

Wasn't really about who we had the most in common with (I agree with you on that fwiw)

And yeah Midlands is Midlands, but when you're splitting by North and South it requires you to fall into either category

Edited by Stevo985

Yep, Midlands is Midlands but between the two, we’re probably closer to the North in spirit.

Didn’t we have a similar conversation recently about where the North began? Just above Stoke I’d guess.

Years ago I was drinking in Chesterfield on a Monday night - yes it was as good as it sounds - and I remember thinking at the time it felt reasonably northern.

Â