Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

ux9Do.png

Orange areas are places where if you dug a whole and kept digging until you came out on the other side you would actually be in another country rather than in the middle of the ocean. I'm surprised how few places there actually are which are directly opposite another country on the globe. Slightly disappointed that New Zealand is opposite Spain rather than Italy too, a double boot would have been cool.

That's a consequence of the Pacific covering rather close to an entire hemisphere (and the Northern Hemisphere having dramatically more land than the Southern).

Another few million years of continental drift, though...

What's does the yellow represent?

One hemisphere is blue, the other yellow, from the looks of it (basically in order to answer the "where you'd come out if you kept digging" question, you reflect one hemisphere defined by a great circle generated by two opposite meridians (e.g. the Prime Meridian and 180 degrees) about the Equator and then superimpose it on the other).

Metal bands per capita by country

MetalBands.jpg

Some of the source data is questionable though... consider the only metal band from the Democratic Republic of the Congo: Infertile Surrogacy

It is questionable whether this band comes from Congo. Rumor has it, the band is a side project of Cerebral Effusion members.

interactive map of 2010/11 rail passenger usage figures (out today)

New Street has gone down, it was always the busiest station outside of London, it has slipped behind Glasgow Central and Manchester Piccadilly this year.

I suspect a large part of the reason is that more people are travelling to London from Moor Street and Snow Hill stations this year, so it has been a movement in passengers rather than a decline.

Surely this correlates with the fact that suicide is much higer in scandinavia than any other place in the world?

(might be wrong, but I know its higher than normal)

Long dark winter nights+cold+alcoholism+metal+suicide = Scandinavian stereotype.

Hungary has always had an extremely high suicide rate, often the highest in the world yet it is not a country which you stereotypically associate with hara kari.

• 2 weeks later...

njSxr.png

Purple: Europe.

Blue: Areas colonised by Europeans.

Pale Blue: Areas under European influence at some point in their history.

Hats off to Korea, Saudi Arabia and, er, Oregon for holding out I guess!

• 2 weeks later...
Â