The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Southampton game raised serious question marks for me and the way we then finished off the rest of the season seriously had me hoping we had somebody else lined up.

I will admit though that the transfers we made and the fact that I think he probably deserved a full preseason with a team changed my mind.

Time will tell whether it was a bad decision or a catastrophic one.

Looking back I can't believe we managed to stay up, and what a huge risk we took hiring a fraud of a manager to keep us up. Really puts it into perspective too, if Tim Sherwood managed to save us with 10 or so games to go I'm sure Remi can manage it in almost thrice the time.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Looking back I can't believe we managed to stay up, and what a huge risk we took hiring a fraud of a manager to keep us up. Really puts it into perspective too, if Tim Sherwood managed to save us with 10 or so games to go I'm sure Remi can manage it in almost thrice the time.

Thing is Sherwood only had to be 1 point better than 1 team to keep us up, as we were 18th on goal difference when he came in.

Garde has to gain points on 3 teams, and 5 points on 1 of them too. The one thing he does have on his side is time, but it remains to be seen whether the players are good enough.

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cup Final lost me.

It was great to get there, and the semi final was superb. But if you can't motivate or organise your team to perform better than they did in the club's first cup final for 15 years then something's wrong.
I still think he lost the dressing room with the "loser" comments prior to the final.

I admit to being optimistic in the summer given our signings but I think even 2 or 3 games into this season we all knew it wasn't working.

I don't think he lost the dressing room, then or ever really, but I do agree that those 'loser' comments were really classless and doubtless demotivating for the players. Strange as well when you think back to all the effort he'd put into motivating players upon his arrival. I guess it was just another tactic in the same campaign, only this one backfired (or at least, didn't have the intended effect at all). 

It was probably more than a couple of games into this season that it took me to realise we were going nowhere. I was fully on-board until the Leicester game, when his terrible choices made clear that he was tactically clueless, and then I really turned at the Albion game, because we were so meek and pathetic, and it looked like he had no idea how to turn it round. 

"Lost the Dressing Room" might be a bit strong, but I certainly think that was the point where it all started going downhill in terms of the players' motivation.
The Southampton game was a disaster, but that wasn't a motivation thing, it was just a terrible performance.

Everything from the cup final onwards looked like a combination of tactical weaknesses and demotivated players.

I think we should still keep Sherwood around the training ground. Imagine the boost it would give the players to see him every day and remember that he's no longer the manager. Huge.

On 11/20/2015, 8:31:52, Stevo985 said:

Cup Final lost me.

It was great to get there, and the semi final was superb. But if you can't motivate or organise your team to perform better than they did in the club's first cup final for 15 years then something's wrong.
I still think he lost the dressing room with the "loser" comments prior to the final.

I admit to being optimistic in the summer given our signings but I think even 2 or 3 games into this season we all knew it wasn't working.

Did he not say those comments straight after the final whistle, I can't remember.

The Arsenal game just showed we're still minnows on the world stage like our previous cup finals. Big disappointment we looked beaten from the first whistle when team Reading a month before and Hull the previous year had lost but had given  Arsenal a really good game.

22 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Thing is Sherwood only had to be 1 point better than 1 team to keep us up, as we were 18th on goal difference when he came in.

Garde has to gain points on 3 teams, and 5 points on 1 of them too. The one thing he does have on his side is time, but it remains to be seen whether the players are good enough.

Benteke not being here will be the difference this time I fear.

On 11/20/2015, 8:31:52, Stevo985 said:

Cup Final lost me.

the problem is that a manager should not motivate you to play an Fa Cup final, you should internal fire. Chelsea got to Champions League final and lost on penalties with Avram Grant in charge he isnt a motivator

We had a team of players that had about 300 international appearances, players that had played in World Cup semi final, Champions League experience and some who played for biggest clubs in England. players were a disgrace that day led by a gutless captain

Exactly. If you can't motivate that group of players then you have no chance.

Buck stops with the manager for motivation.

Calling them losers on the eve of the final probably worked wonders.

Losers or not, I'm sure the manager telling the press he thought they were losers was just what they needed to get up for a final.

The players deserve stick for that. But ultimately it's the manager's job to motivate his players, and it should have been easy for him.

He didn't do it. The buck stops with him. He was an embarrassment.

Â