The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Bradley would be as uninspiring as they come. 

Actually, as an American, I can tell you he can be quite inspiring. He's exactly the opposite of Sherwood. He's soft-spoken, his teams play organized and disciplined, his teams are often the fittest in their competitions (we will never be outworked). He'd be working with a better selection of defenders than he ever did with the US. 

I'm less convinced myself. He has no experience of managing in this country. Would be too big a risk!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Anyone and everyone is fault but Tim.

There is a happy medium to be struck though isn't there and I think on here at least I haven't seen anyone back Sherwood and defend him to the hilt. Not even close. A few ex pro's have got way closer to that than any Aston Villa has.

It works both ways though doesn't it. Not everything is Sherwoods fault. It makes hard reading on here though when I read crap like Guzans a spent force and is making mistakes due to Sherwood messing with his head when the reality is Guzans form had been suspect long before Sherwood arrived and his kicking had always been crap. Likewise now people stating that Sherwood should have been able to convince Delph, Benteke and Cleverley to stay. And then you have the over the top reactions post match to picking certain players such as Richardson on Saturday when the reality is Amavi had been away with the France under 21's and had been suspect defensively in recent games and Richardson actually played well. I could go on and on.

Sherwood has done a lot wrong and there are plenty of sticks to beat him with it does not require him to be lambasted for things that when looked at logically he should not be criticized for.

Mark its clearly not the popular vote on here, by trying to add a bit of balance to the debate,which you are clearly doing, but it is equally clear, your opinion like mine is not in vogue.

Like you, I don't know enough about what Ts Does at BMH to say he is trying everything and the players are not up to it, or he clearly knows nothing about management. He has made mistakes, what manager doesn't, but some of the accusations have been desperate.

when you have won 1 game in 9 it is easy to join in with the majority.....Imo some of the claims are legitimate, some lack foundation and is just muck slinging.

when a manager of the status of Mourinho with all his untold resources is struggling, it makes us all wonder and puts things in perspective.

I don't know, whether Tim Sherwood is a good manager or not, but I did warm to his persona, particularly having captained a premier league championship side, you don't do that being a mug, as some have come close to suggesting he is.

I never expected much this season, but I did not expect to see such a poor return of points.

Everyone has their own view of what is wrong.....I don't think we have a problem of technical ability, I believe it is more to do with Character/Belief and a will to win or see a job through....they seem like a bunch who are still looking for Benteke to bail them out.

I have grave worries about this bunch, irrespective of who the manager is.

• Like 1

Bob Bradley has made the cheapest team in Norway fighting for titles. 2 seasons in a row. A newly promoted team.

And I'm sure that is impressive in itself but then it depends on how highly achievement in the Norweigan league should be taken into regard. As mentioned above, Solskjaer won Molde's first titles for 100 years or whatever it was. You can look at examples of managers who have worked miracles in the lower-leagues over here and it doesn't account for much in our league.

Bradley may well be a decent manager, I'm not intending to cast judgement on him but I just look at his career path and it just screams 'meh'.

I'm not sold on Bradley but Stabaek and Molde are worlds apart in terms of resources available to the manager.

Anyone and everyone is fault but Tim.

I haven't seen anyone back Sherwood and defend him to the hilt.

Blimey Mark, I have, to the point of having my sanity checked.

....too the hilt maybe stretching it, but I have defended him.

I'm not sold on Bradley but Stabaek and Molde are worlds apart in terms of resources available to the manager.

I'll take your word for it. I presume also that Molde weren't exactly one of the big-hitters either? Given that they had gone a century without winning the league and all.

Jenas depicts TS as a bully who undermines others, and not somebody you want managing and building a young team. They need to get rid ASAP, project Sherwood has run its course.

So someone who is passionate, has a rant once in a while when things are bad and tells players the truth is now a bully? 

We are talking about a male dominated, performance related environment are we not? Not trying to be nasty or anything like that but have you spent much time in your life playing football then or in that type of environment? Whereby if your crap at your job or make stupid mistakes you get slated or have the piss taken out of you by your peers? Trying to now turn Sherwood into some sort of bully after a few comments, none of which depict him as a bully at all is just wrong!

I can understand people wanting rid of Sherwood based on results and certain decisions etc(as I do), but some of the nonsense being posted trying to assassinate his character whilst jumping on the bandwagon is just desperate and not required in this instance. Results will remove him from his job soon enough should things continue much longer.

If only Sherwood was a mumbling Scottish manager with no experience of managing a club the size of Villa he would get 2-3 years to turn shit around, even if crap.

• Like 3

I'm almost at the stage I'd welcome anyone in place of Sherwood.

I haven't got the confidence to disagree, but equally, I have got the confidence to say, it won't work, whoever it is.

Managers who come from lower profile leagues or clubs havent worked under the intense pressure teams like Villa exert on their managers. 

Many armchair experts can see what's wrong but  under intense pressure the decision making process is made much harder.

I'll take your word for it. I presume also that Molde weren't exactly one of the big-hitters either? Given that they had gone a century without winning the league and all.

I don't believe they were for a long time. The league was dominated by Rosenborg who had a few years in the Champions League so they were much wealthier than other clubs but eventually that tailed off. The Molde owner has injected 400 million NOK into the club which is roughly £30 million since he has been there and spent 210 million NOK building a brand new stadium.

Stabaek in relation are very different I believe. 

• Like 1

Jenas depicts TS as a bully who undermines others, and not somebody you want managing and building a young team. They need to get rid ASAP, project Sherwood has run its course.

So someone who is passionate, has a rant once in a while when things are bad and tells players the truth is now a bully? 

We are talking about a male dominated, performance related environment are we not? Not trying to be nasty or anything like that but have you spent much time in your life playing football then or in that type of environment? Whereby if your crap at your job or make stupid mistakes you get slated or have the piss taken out of you by your peers? Trying to now turn Sherwood into some sort of bully after a few comments, none of which depict him as a bully at all is just wrong!

I can understand people wanting rid of Sherwood based on results and certain decisions etc(as I do), but some of the nonsense being posted trying to assassinate his character whilst jumping on the bandwagon is just desperate and not required in this instance. Results will remove him from his job soon enough should things continue much longer.

If only Sherwood was a mumbling Scottish manager with no experience of managing a club the size of Villa he would get 2-3 years to turn shit around, even if crap.

for an adversary that is an excellent post.

You are clearly not a fan of Sherwood, but a fan of fair play and balanced judgment.....credit to you.

For me.....How can i judge a manager, with next to little knowledge of what the man is doing.

I just want some wins.

Well i'm sure if we had got rid of Sherwood at the end of the season and told a new manager coming in that there would be a possibility of 50 mill + to spend quite a few would have been interested then again that works both ways as you would have probably had to tell them that 2 of our best players were going to leave in the process so maybe your right

Edited by AshVilla

The wrong appointment from day one - inexperienced and a reknowned loudmouth (not an insult just a fact). He delivered 1.2 points a game to stumble over the line one place above the drop. Nothing amazing, Just enough. I'd argue that Benteke's return to fitness and form had more to do with that than Sherwood.

The writing was on the wall from the last two games of the season - a drubbing from Southampton and an insipid display against Burnley

The overwhelming consensus was that we had a squad worthy over lower midtable and again the overwhelming consensus was that we had done ok in the transfer market and again should have been looking at 10th-14th

4 points from the last 33 possible says it all for me. Our worst ever start to a season in living memory.

The things that he had in his favour from day one - a clear commitment to attacking football and a reputation for getting the best out of young players have been ditched as soon as the going gets tough

The recent comments, from him and his media mates are embarassing the club

There is a lot wrong with AV at the moment and a change of manager won't put everything right but without an immediate change this will be the season that we quietly slip out of the PL

You maybe right with all of that.

but tell me this, the popular vote was that we did a good bit of business during the summer as you say,

...... based on exactly what?

Â