The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

What a way to make an already shit time of the week even worse.

Never watching Villa on a Sunday afternoon again. :(

I honestly can't remember the last time we didn't regularly lose on TV. I know we've been shit for years but it's always seemed like we're disproportionately worse on TV. The only difference is that normally we play really shit and lose 1 or 2 nil whereas today we were ok for most of the game but just completely collapsed and ended up losing from being 2-0 up, which in a way is a lot worse.

FA Cup semi final ;)

Obviously I was talking about in the league.

If we could get Allardyce in tomorrow, I'd bin him off. 

Well thank god you aren't in charge, Id be taking my ST back tomorrow if we replaced him with Fat Sam. Watching West Ham at VP last year made me actually feel sorry for West Ham fans, they were shockingly bad.

The cup final, the Southampton game and this game are some absolute record lows in just 5 months in charge. He'll get you performances like he did in the semi final but the lows are so much, much worse than how good the highs are.

2-0 up and losing 3-2 in 30 minutes is pathetic even by Villa's standards. I don't blame people at all for being reactionary, it's a complete **** up by the manager today. He then goes on to blame the players when he brings off a midfielder for an attacker who has shown in his games for us that he's nowhere near the form and standard needed to play in this league!?

To be fair, the previous manager gave us some pretty incredible lows and left the first team squad in a real mess before Sherwood took over. Subsequently, he has then sold our best 2 players (arguably) and re-built the whole team.

I don't disagree that those 3 games have been lows, but given the circumstances, I think he deserves a bit more time to get the team to gel and hopefully instil a bit of mental strength into the team.

Clearly in the minority but I actually thought the subs were fine at the time. As I saw it, Ayew was bought on for the fresh legs and extra pace both in tracking back, as Gil was easily getting out run, and getting forward when we were countering, as you'd expect we'd be getting a lot more space as they were heavily committing players forward. And Gestede was bought on to try and retain possession from our aerial clearances and to make the ball stick. Unfortunately it didn't work out, partly due to the fact fact we kept giving them the ball back due to poor passing and individual errors, which can hardly be blamed on Sherwood as we were doing the basics fine in the first half.

Subs were clearly very poor (yet again) and I don't like him not admitting that in the interview. But trying to be positive, we did look very good in the first half, and I think we'll look much better with Gana back. His in-game management needs a lot of work though. Pardew, Advocaat, Ranieri, they've all out-thought him during the game. Even weak teams in the Prem now have good, experienced managers. 

We have a nightmare run of fixtures coming up. I'm losing any real belief that he can steer us through this period. 

I think it is ungracious to suggest he should be sacked.

We genuinely are a team in transition. Our football and business philosophy is changing. And for the better I think.

Sherwood isn't perfect but he's not even half way through a season with a new team. With lots of players that are young or new to the team.

There were positives today, the first 60 minutes were actually very good and it's easy to blinded by the bad result. Of course it's a results business but there was enough today to suggest that we will play some good football this season.

• Like 1

Clearly in the minority but I actually thought the subs were fine at the time. As I saw it, Ayew was bought on for the fresh legs and extra pace both in tracking back, as Gil was easily getting out run, and getting forward when we were countering, as you'd expect we'd be getting a lot more space as they were heavily committing players forward. And Gestede was bought on to try and retain possession from our aerial clearances and to make the ball stick. Unfortunately it didn't work out, partly due to the fact fact we kept giving them the ball back due to poor passing and individual errors, which can hardly be blamed on Sherwood as we were doing the basics fine in the first half.

at a point where keeping the ball is vital, you don't take our best keeper of the ball off and replace him with our worst.

you then don't bring on amother player who is equally as bad with the ball. Hutton for gil and Veretout for gabby would have been just fine.

We genuinely are a team in transition. Our football and business philosophy is changing. And for the better I think.

Sherwood isn't perfect but he's not even half way through a season with a new team. With lots of players that are young or new to the team.

There were positives today, the first 60 minutes were actually very good and it's easy to blinded by the bad result. Of course it's a results business but there was enough today to suggest that we will play some good football this season.

We'll never get anywhere though if the players don't sort themselves out in their heads and the manager keeps on making ridiculous substitutions.

He sounds gutted in this video

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34240004

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood says he has "never felt this bad" after his side's 3-2 loss to Leicester City in which they let a two-goal lead slip.

Good - I hope he really feels it. I hope they all do - maybe that'll motivate the pieces of shit to actually concentrate next time.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Well thank god you aren't in charge, Id be taking my ST back tomorrow if we replaced him with Fat Sam. Watching West Ham at VP last year made me actually feel sorry for West Ham fans, they were shockingly bad.

Scored more, conceded fewer, more points, higher league finish.

Couldn't care less about one game.

We'll never get anywhere though if the players don't sort themselves out in their heads and the manager keeps on making ridiculous substitutions.

He sounds gutted in this video

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34240004

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood says he has "never felt this bad" after his side's 3-2 loss to Leicester City in which they let a two-goal lead slip.

Good - I hope he really feels it. I hope they all do - maybe that'll motivate the pieces of shit to actually concentrate next time.

agree

Big Sam would probably want Richards at centre back though

at a point where keeping the ball is vital, you don't take our best keeper of the ball off and replace him with our worst.

you then don't bring on amother player who is equally as bad with the ball. Hutton for gil 

First two sentences does not compute with your last.

Ayew for gil was fine and nowhere near as bad people making out. (well the reasoning behind it was fine)
Veretout for sinclair (or gabby, but gabby better at holding up) should have happened
Hutton for bacuna 5/10 mins before should have happened

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

Big Sam would probably want Richards at centre back though

Maybe so but he wouldnt let a player dictate to him where he wants to play.

Sherwood has to take some of the blame for this-His substitutions were baffling and contributed to the team being put on the back foot.

I think it is also a work in progress, so mistakes are still going to be made. We look quite good in certain areas, ie going forward with Gil, Grealish & Sinclair-3 quality players. I like the central defence pairing as well as the left back. Baccuna hasn't hit the standard he reached last season, Sanchez and Westwoof aren't up to scratch and the goalkeeper doesn't even deserve a mention. I have a feeling that this squad is going to thin out a bit and is not as strong as we first thought.

I also struggle to see how the coaching staff are placed. Parkes seems to be still the vocal "number 2" on the touchline. Wilkins is anonymous there. I appreciate Wilkins brings other skills behind the scenes but to me, it is still a funny set up.

To much emphasis on tactics for me. I don't care what decisions Sherwood made we were going to lose that game because they wanted it more and they were pumped to the max. Crowd was like a 12th man. Yes it's disappointing but this is the same ground where they beat Man U 5-3 when 3-1 down. Sometimes it happens. We will learn from it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

This team of "winners" he's assembling shouldn't be throwing away 2-0 leads to Leicester and coming away with nothing.

I'll still give him time but looking clear that up to xmas isn't going to be a tea party.

Big problem we've had since he came in is if you look at the goals we've conceded in his tenure, a decent amount have come from high balls and crosses. Even this season one at Palace and two today, you'd think someone like Lescott would help stop this so worrying if we still can't defend them.

That sub at 2-0 was awful aswell, yes in fairness Carles probably dosen't have fitness for 90 minutes but Ayew?! Veretout or even Clark would've surely been more logical? We still had Gabby, Sinclair and Grealish to counter attack.

Just find it baffling as our second goal came very much against the run of play as Leicester were walking through our midfield at will so can't believe he just thought 2 nil and they'd give up.

Â