The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Not sure he knows the best team yet, which is a concern

Well it would help if we could actually get Adama and Grealish to stay fit as both would play either side of a striker you'd assume.

Westwood, Guzan Bacuna, Richards, Amavi, Gana and Clark (although soon to be replaced) have started our first 7 games so I think that's a harsh statement tbh.

Is there anything such as a best team in this day and age anyway when playing 19 other teams requires different preparation and tactics.

We saw it was naive at best to set up exactly the same way v Arsenal and hope it would work just like against Liverpool in the cup.

• Like 1

Very much agree, particularly re Gestede....certainly looked better the longer the game went on. I wouldn't have had an issue had we seen how things developed with Kodak but equally I could see why he kept it as it was. Not great service to the guy yet though is there ?

• Like 1

Not sure he knows the best team yet, which is a concern

Blatantly because injuries no?

Will we have such a thing as a "best team" anyway? Shouldn't it be more fluid?

Agree with this. We need a squad of players who can come in as and when. It's not really a team game anymore.

What he does need is to find a formation and tactics which suits, backed up with a plan b. Even then, it's too early to say he doesn't have that as we really need to look at it over a long period.

Edited by DK82

What he does need is to find a formation and tactics which suits, backed up with a plan b. Even then, it's too early to say he doesn't have that as we really need to look at it over a long period.

Indeeed. I think the formation is far less important than the style. The formation can and should be adjusted as per the opponent, despite his suggestions to the contrary we are not good enough yet to say every week that we will play our way and stuff what the opposition do. There's perhaps 1 team in the league good enough to do that.

The attempted style of play appears to revolve around an energetic and dynamic midfield. I would say we play a relatively deep defensive line (defenders to defend) and are able to do so thanks to us playing, usually, with 3 midfield "banks" (DM/MF/AM). Playing in such a way will mean we are often relying on our full backs to create the width which can leave them exposed and our midfielders are relied upon to cover. Sanchez did this very well against Sunderland, dropping into the back line to form a 3 when both Amavi and Hutton went marauding.

We've yet to see what impact having a fit attacking midfield line will have. We've had Grealish for one game in the league and Gil/Adama for 30 minutes a piece. Patience is the only logical approach here.

What frustrates me about our current situation is that we'd have one hell of a team if we'd have only kept hold of Benteke. It was never on the cards to spent £40m without selling our star striker, but with current TV revenues, this wasn't an un-holy amount to spend. Ergh, Lerner.

Edited by Shillzz

What frustrates me about our current situation is that we'd have one hell of a team if we'd have only kept hold of Benteke. It was never on the cards to spent £40m without selling our star striker, but with current TV revenues, this wasn't an un-holy amount to spend. Ergh, Lerner.

Not fair to blame Benteke leaving on Lerner. It was inevitable, we did a good job there.

Not fair to blame Benteke leaving on Lerner. It was inevitable, we did a good job there.

No I agree, and I'm under no illusions that we could have kept hold of him. But if we'd actually bothered to replace him, on top of the signings that we've made, then we'd be looking very good indeed. We should have been straight in for someone like Bony / Berahino (examples only).

You decide to give a free attacking role to one of your players.

You have Cole, Gil, Vertout and Bacuna to choose from. You have 3 subs, so can use all 4 if you want.....

... even so, I still wouldn't choose Bacuna.

I don't think we can be too upset with Sherwood about the team he put out yesterday.

His hand was forced somewhat by the sickness bug (which incidentally I hope isn't becoming an annual thing after Arsenal last season as well), and the team that he did put out had 21 shots.

We did enough to win the game yesterday. As Trent said, blame the players for the failure to take 3 points.

Even though it is still very early days, does anyone else look at the list of players we have signed and worry we have once again wasted a lot of money. 

For me only Richards, Amavi (IF he improves defensively, makes to many silly mistakes) and possibly Adama Traore seem like good signings. The rest all look very average or worse. 

I know they can still improve, but I have a very bad feeling about this season.

Doesn't help that Sherwood does not seem to have a game plan or favorite formation and just puts random players on each match and plays whatever formation the players fit (granted we have had injuries) if last match was with Lambert in charge, people would be fuming. Sanchez, Bacuna, Westwood and Gana, how many central mids do we need, I honestly do not know where Bacuna was playing, he seemed to be pretty central. And what is it with Villa and having managers that do not want to make subs during matches, I just don't understand it. Martin O'Neill and Lambert were just as stubborn when it came to making changes during games and I feel it is costing us points.

Â