The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I think we all have to remember.....even our international team are pretty average, so England players don't quite register as " end of the world" when they go.

Man City have a different agenda to us.....we can now go and sign better foreign players they are full up with.

Southampton have shown that you may not be able to replace individual quality but you can build strength in the squad.

I hope Reilly and Sherwood have the players in place and Fox can make it happen.

• Like 1

We have seen some big players leave villa over the years.

We just need to find a way of signing slightly better over a succession of years.

We won't stop the problem unless someone like Bill Gates or Carlos Slim steps in.

We might have chance with Slim.....he might like the Latin name "villa"

Bet if you went out on the town with him, he'd be the word removed that cleared up with all the beautiful women and everyone else would be left with the scratters, even in his gilet

As much as Lambert pissed me off... I now feel horribly for Sherwood, he's going to have his hands tied without any investment and is losing big players. Sort of understandable where some of the Lambert dross came from. I genuinely believe we are screwed for next season. Good luck though Timmy, right behind you!

Doesn't seem like we're short of money given the bids that have been reported on from various quasi-reliable sources though. We've got,what, 25m in bids out there at the moment?

On the flip side Pete, those bids could have been made with knowledge that we receive x amount from sales. I've been as upbeat as anyone for the last few weeks (as a result of the bids you mention) and it's maybe wrong of me to get too down beat as a result of one player leaving, but its worrying none the less.

Should our two best players leave we will need a huge investment to ensure a trouble free season.

Very unlucky to lose a key player so early into his reign especially as it was none of his making. God forbid Benteke goes aswell in next few weeks.

Sherwood could've picked easier jobs that's for sure, it's been survival mode ever since he pitched up.

• Like 1

He's got some job on his hands here now. I fear for him, for all the bravado, he must be thinking WTF have I got on here.

Whatever your view of any individual player, losing Cleverly, Vlaar and now Delph are huge blows to an already average squad. I'll be pretty amazed if Benteke is still here come the end of August too and that could be the final nail in the coffin.

We've lost two of those for nowt and one looks to be going on the cheap. Even if we get the full £32.5m for BC, that's just over £40m in, which won't cover the cost of adequate replacements, let alone improvements in other areas.

Even if he is given the cash to do it, buying so many first teamers and getting them to integrate all at once is going to be hugely difficult. Koeman managed it with Southampton, but these are more difficult circumstances.

Edited by wazzap24

I think the cull was badly needed though. If Delph goes that will be 11 players gone and all but Burke will have been 1st team squad in last 3 seasons

Hopefully he is backed and looks liek Fox and Reilly is doing that

Well he said he wanted rid of the losers didn't realise he meant the entire team!

To be fair Delph has been involved in the whole crap run we've been on therefore he is a loser.

#iknoweveryoneisprettytetchyrightnowsoillreallyspelloutthesubtextthisisajoke

Edited by villaglint

Well he said he wanted rid of the losers didn't realise he meant the entire team!

To be fair Delph has been involved in the whole crap run we've been on therefore he is a loser.

#iknoweveryoneisprettytetchyrightnowsoillreallyspelloutthesubtextthisisajoke

#fairenoughbutthisisprobablynotthetimeforjokeslikethat
  • Like 1

Your job looks as though it's going to get a whole lot harder fella (potential departure's), good McGrath I hope your up to it. 

Sherwood has one hell of a baptism of fire in his first ever preseason, heading in to his first ever full season. Not saying he can't do it but it'd be a test for an experienced manager.

Please take an underperforming team in to an ever improving Premier League campaign.

You will be given a squad that finished 17th.

You will lose at least three of the top players from that squad.

You will be required, or wish, to cull at least another 6 or 7 squad players.

You will have no promise of extra funds.

You will be working under an Owner who wants to sell.

You will probably be working under a new Chairman late in the transfer window.

You will need to inspire a heavily disillusioned fan base.

Good luck.

Whatever your view of any individual player, losing Cleverly, Vlaar and now Delph are huge blows to an already average squad. I'll be pretty amazed if Benteke is still here come the end of August too and that could be the final nail in the coffin.

Really?

Vlaar by most accounts was poor last season, and injured alot of the time anyway. I think Richards could end up being a very decent replacement.

Cleverly was also poor pre-Sherwood and then decent in half of Sherwood's games I would say - not a world beater though. Gardner will be given the chance to step up.

Delph had become a bit of a talisman for us, but by no means was he a great player or leader - he was very hit and miss. We signed his replacement already. When have we ever been so well prepared that we signed a replacement before a key player left us!

Benteke - this is the one I agree with you on. It will be a blow if he leaves, but I can't believe we don't have a plan to replace him. Tim will have something up his sleeve.

I see the club Facebook page have updated their photo to one without Delph or Benteke!

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

Sherwood has one hell of a baptism of fire in his first ever preseason, heading in to his first ever full season. Not saying he can't do it but it'd be a test for an experienced manager.

Please take an underperforming team in to an ever improving Premier League campaign.

You will be given a squad that finished 17th.

You will lose at least three of the top players from that squad.

You will be required, or wish, to cull at least another 6 or 7 squad players.

You will have no promise of extra funds.

You will be working under an Owner who wants to sell.

You will probably be working under a new Chairman late in the transfer window.

You will need to inspire a heavily disillusioned fan base.

Good luck.

Very tough. At least he has the bravado and confidence to take the challenge on.

Only this club would scrape survival though a mixture of luck and scraped finger nails and then proceed to make the team weaker.

Delph was the club Captain and although somewhat error prone we have no clue how his "replacement" is going to fare also the BS regarding Delph has been a disgrace to the point where i will no longer believe a single word the club spout as they clearly are just manipulating the fans.

Vlaar for Richards is another risk as Richards has not exactly had  rave reviews as a Central defender now has he! Thankfully though Vlaars constant injuries will be a thing of the past hopefully resulting in a more settled back four for a change.

I can only hope Gil is brought back into things but not holding my breath

As for Benteke, at least i now know who to believe out of Liverpool & Villas version of events regarding his departure & here's a clue "It ain't the Midlands based lot"...So See ya CB!

We will not be able to replace him as there is not a cat in hells chance we can attract a World Class striker here that's for sure. No doubt we'll end up with an issue laden Adebayor or something.

All in all the club remains firmly in reverse gear. I just feel sorry for the fans.

Only this club would scrape survival though a mixture of luck and scraped finger nails and then proceed to make the team weaker.

Delph was the club Captain and although somewhat error prone we have no clue how his "replacement" is going to fare also the BS regarding Delph has been a disgrace to the point where i will no longer believe a single word the club spout as they clearly are just manipulating the fans.

Vlaar for Richards is another risk as Richards has not exactly had  rave reviews as a Central defender now has he! Thankfully though Vlaars constant injuries will be a thing of the past hopefully resulting in a more settled back four for a change.

I can only hope Gil is brought back into things but not holding my breath

As for Benteke, at least i now know who to believe out of Liverpool & Villas version of events regarding his departure & here's a clue "It ain't the Midlands based lot"...So See ya CB!

We will not be able to replace him as there is not a cat in hells chance we can attract a World Class striker here that's for sure. No doubt we'll end up with an issue laden Adebayor or something.

All in all the club remains firmly in reverse gear. I just feel sorry for the fans.

I agree i think we will be weaker than last season

Other clubs will improve their squads and i think the margins are that fine that we will more than likely go down especially if Benteke goes

The last thing we want to do is try and experiment with this 3 at the back formation

If it fails in preseason ditch it please Tim last thing we want to do is persist with it and waste points in the process

Edited by AshVilla

Â