The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

30 next season Milner, lets look to the future.

To be honest, that's a reason why I thought we might have a slim, outside chance of getting him. He'll probably go to Liverpool, Spurs or even a Top 4 team, but does he want to be a rotation option when he's nearing the end of his career? I know we'd be well, well down his list of options, but there could be a slim chance that he'd like to get back to playing 90 minutes a week in a team where he's valued as one of the first names on the team sheet.

/dreamland

Sako will be 28 next season. 

I Would rather roll with a tee total Milner at 30 in the top flight than an unknown/unproven 28 year old Sako. 

What Milner would do off the field for the young lads needing guidance will be worth his wages alone, and thats without even kicking a football!

like leave at the very 1st opportunity of a big contract?

I would never begrudge any human being from bettering themselves in any walk of life, Be it butcher, baker or candle stick maker. 

You shouldn't be going to work to make friends or be liked by random folk, you go there to be professional, do a job and make as much money as possible for you and you're family! 

If you wanna be liked by random folk, join twitter or mong book!

True but Delph didn't and thats why I have bags more respect for him than I do Milner. Delph seems like a really top guy.

Completely different situation, though.

When was Delph ever going to Man City or Chelsea - or, indeed, anyone else for that matter?  Milner has gone to Man City and played over 140 games for them, winning trophies and playing in the CL.  Delph is simply not at the same level.

Slightly out of context but I believe we beat Citeh to his signature when we signed him........just saying....

To be honest, that's a reason why I thought we might have a slim, outside chance of getting him. He'll probably go to Liverpool, Spurs or even a Top 4 team, but does he want to be a rotation option when he's nearing the end of his career? I know we'd be well, well down his list of options, but there could be a slim chance that he'd like to get back to playing 90 minutes a week in a team where he's valued as one of the first names on the team sheet.

/dreamland

Sako will be 28 next season. 

I Would rather roll with a tee total Milner at 30 in the top flight than an unknown/unproven 28 year old Sako. 

What Milner would do off the field for the young lads needing guidance will be worth his wages alone, and thats without even kicking a football!

I would never begrudge any human being from bettering themselves in any walk of life, Be it butcher, baker or candle stick maker. 

You shouldn't be going to work to make friends or be liked by random folk, you go there to be professional, do a job and make as much money as possible for you and you're family! 

If you wanna be liked by random folk, join twitter or mong book!

True but Delph didn't and thats why I have bags more respect for him than I do Milner. Delph seems like a really top guy.

Completely different situation, though.

When was Delph ever going to Man City or Chelsea - or, indeed, anyone else for that matter?  Milner has gone to Man City and played over 140 games for them, winning trophies and playing in the CL.  Delph is simply not at the same level.

Slightly out of context but I believe we beat Citeh to his signature when we signed him........just saying....

Was that the old raggedy-arsed City that we all knew and respected?

You mean the very first opportunity to win the league and play in the Champions League? You begrudge him his medals? Or wanting to win them to begin with?

of course not but this opinion that people have that Milner is some sort of diehard Villa fan or even a Villa legend is sad and pathetic.

some Villa fans hold this guy in better regards than Barry

In terms of what they've given the club there's no doubt barry is head and shoulders above Milner and don't think any Villa fan would dispute that. 

It's easy to see why some don't hold Barry in high regard, though - due to the way they left the club. Barry opened his gob, talked a lot of bull, went to the press, got suspended from training, was disruprive, etc. etc. Milner kept quiet, was thoroughly professional, played for Villa a couple of days before he left and gave his all, as always, not pulling a Dwight Yorke. So there's more context here than simply what Barry or Milner have given Villa throughout the years. 

Yeah, Milner kept quiet, let his transfer drag out until the season started, didn't hand in a transfer request when he obviously wanted to leave so he could get that fat pay off, left the transfer so late that our manager walked about a week before the first game because of it (supposedly), such a better way to leave, I mean he only screwed over the club and fans to get more money. I'd have loads more respect for the way Downing left if it wasn't for the fact he said he was staying no matter what about 2 weeks beforehand.

As for the leaving for CL and title nonsense, yes he got it eventually, and in hindsight Man City would have obviously been a much better choice than us at the time, but people should remember that the season before Milner left, Man City were in the heady heights of 5th and finished 3 points ahead of us. We even took the lead at the Etihad with about 3 games to go that season, if we'd won that game I think we could've finished above them (not sure if it was just that result or not). It's not as if he was leaving to go directly to title challengers and immediately get CL football, a la Young or Yorke, he was going to what seemed a direct rival at the time, though it quickly became apparent that they weren't any more. Some act as if by leaving he instantly got all those things, well it took a while for it to happen (a short while granted). The only apparent thing at the time that Man City were in a better position for was money, everything else at the time was practically the same.

I know this is massively OT for the Sherwood thread but the Milner stuff on this forum does my head in some times, yeah he was very good in that one season, but the way people talk about him is pathetic. Face it, he doesn't give a shit about the club or fans, and he's never coming back until we can afford to pay him silly money.

• Like 3

I think Tim's first few signings this summer will answer a lot of questions. Not just about Tim but about Lerner's financial backing, his ambition in general, and the scouting system at the club. A lot of Journos are linking us, probably lazily, to Spurs or ex-Spurs players. I wonder if that will play out in the end.

I guess in the same way that Martinez courts cleverly.....if you have worked with the player closely, it's an advantage.

I think Tim's first few signings this summer will answer a lot of questions. Not just about Tim but about Lerner's financial backing, his ambition in general, and the scouting system at the club. A lot of Journos are linking us, probably lazily, to Spurs or ex-Spurs players. I wonder if that will play out in the end.

It most definitely will, yeah. Be interesting to see what happens. With regards to Spurs players, if he has a system that they're a part of and work in, and are also better than what we've got - I don't mind.

• Like 1

You mean the very first opportunity to win the league and play in the Champions League? You begrudge him his medals? Or wanting to win them to begin with?

of course not but this opinion that people have that Milner is some sort of diehard Villa fan or even a Villa legend is sad and pathetic.

In terms of what they've given the club there's no doubt barry is head and shoulders above Milner and don't think any Villa fan would dispute that. 

It's easy to see why some don't hold Barry in high regard, though - due to the way they left the club. Barry opened his gob, talked a lot of bull, went to the press, got suspended from training, was disruprive, etc. etc. Milner kept quiet, was thoroughly professional, played for Villa a couple of days before he left and gave his all, as always, not pulling a Dwight Yorke. So there's more context here than simply what Barry or Milner have given Villa throughout the years. 

Yeah, Milner kept quiet, let his transfer drag out until the season started, didn't hand in a transfer request when he obviously wanted to leave so he could get that fat pay off, left the transfer so late that our manager walked about a week before the first game because of it (supposedly), such a better way to leave, I mean he only screwed over the club and fans to get more money. I'd have loads more respect for the way Downing left if it wasn't for the fact he said he was staying no matter what about 2 weeks beforehand.

As for the leaving for CL and title nonsense, yes he got it eventually, and in hindsight Man City would have obviously been a much better choice than us at the time, but people should remember that the season before Milner left, Man City were in the heady heights of 5th and finished 3 points ahead of us. We even took the lead at the Etihad with about 3 games to go that season, if we'd won that game I think we could've finished above them (not sure if it was just that result or not). It's not as if he was leaving to go directly to title challengers and immediately get CL football, a la Young or Yorke, he was going to what seemed a direct rival at the time, though it quickly became apparent that they weren't any more. Some act as if by leaving he instantly got all those things, well it took a while for it to happen (a short while granted). The only apparent thing at the time that Man City were in a better position for was money, everything else at the time was practically the same.

I know this is massively OT for the Sherwood thread but the Milner stuff on this forum does my head in some times, yeah he was very good in that one season, but the way people talk about him is pathetic. Face it, he doesn't give a shit about the club or fans, and he's never coming back until we can afford to pay him silly money.

This 10000%!!!

However... I wouldn't say no to him signing for us again... but if he doesn't sign for us, I hope he never wins another thing in his life and ends up destitute and miserable...

This 10000%!!!

However... I wouldn't say no to him signing for us again... but if he doesn't sign for us, I hope he never wins another thing in his life and ends up destitute and miserable...

Same goes for Barry...

The big chinned Judas prick...

And yes, I do begrudge the medals they won... They didn't win them with us and I am a Villa fan, not a Man City fan... Why would I give a flying toss if players who jump off the Villa ship win stuff elsewhere?

He married into a Villa family and still has a box at the club - He loved his time at Villa. It's not as sad and pathetic as you make out.

Can't see sir Tim wanting him though.

Surprisingly its to promote an update in his book

Roy Keane has claimed Tim Sherwood was positioning himself to take the Aston Villa manager's job long before Paul Lambert was sacked.

The former Manchester United captain, who was Lambert's assistant at Villa Park until last November, writes in his updated autobiography that Sherwood attended a number of Villa matches in the final months of the Scot's tenure.

Keane writes: 'I went to watch Villa against Bournemouth in the FA Cup a few weeks before Paul was sacked and Tim Sherwood was sitting behind me. I just thought, 'All right....'

Some men go to matches if they think there's a job there for them. I believe Tim had been at two or three games.

'It's not a criticism of Tim. It's part of the game, it's the industry we're in.

'I'd go the other way myself. If I thought the manager was under pressure and I was somehow being linked to the job, I'd avoid the place.'

Sherwood was appointed Villa manager on February 14 and has since eased the club's Premier League relegation concerns and guided them to the FA Cup final, where they will play Arsenal at Wembley on May 30.

Villa are in 14th place but sit just two points above the relegation zone with three matches - against West Ham, Southampton and Burnley - to play.

Keane stepped down as Lambert's No 2 in November to concentrate on his role as assistant manager to Martin O'Neill for the Republic of Ireland.

In the new chapter of his book, seen by The Sun, Keane also criticises the training methods of Belgium striker Christian Benteke.

He writes: 'He wasn't one for scoring many goals in training. With all the top strikers I'd worked with, the top ones always loved scoring in training.'

An updated version of Keane's autobiography 'The Second Half' is published later this month.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3069820/Roy-Keane-claims-Tim-Sherwood-laying-groundwork-Aston-Villa-job-long-Paul-Lambert-sacked.html

Bit of a non story though isn't it?

We'd all made that speculative link between Sherwood and the job when he was pictured at a couple of our games.

• Like 2

Hardly a revelation is it. Bit of a non-story.

The dig at Benteke is an odd one. It's almost as if he is claiming that he can't be a top class striker because he doesn't bang them in like Jimmy Greaves in training. Whatever Roy. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â