The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

IF we stay up, (and lose no one this summer) this team is easy contenders for top 8 finish under Tim. Such spirit shown by our players, Tim gets the best out of all of them and its a damn pleasure to watch. 

• Like 2

Watched him come out of the tunnel each half and he has a real swagger and a relaxed, confidence about him. The last manager to have that about them was big fat Ron who, ironically had us playing with the swagger Sherwood has us playing. A team reflects its manager and this team is currently really reflecting Tim.

• Like 2

Takes great confidence and self belief to walk into a club like ours (with some apparent loud personalities) and almost instantly earn the respect of the players and fans.

The players are playing for him and doing all that's asked. I watched his interview with jamie redknapp the other day and you could just sense the training session was buzzing. I have a feeling he's really modernised our approach and the players are talking it all on board and delivering.

About time we had a manager with a bit of banter too, he's a straight shooter that's for sure and I enjoy listening to his interviews. I'd like to think there will be no more of these baron spells either, Sherwood says he won't stand for mediocrasy and appears to have no hesitation in dropping a senior player.

50% win ratio in his first 30 odd games, pretty impressive when you consider the difficult circumstances and the fact they've not been his hand picked team. "Imagine what he could do with an owner who backs him......."

I think what he is looking for is a poor or game or 2 and you're benched. Perform and you stay in the the team  KISS  (Keep it simple stupid)

Edited by smetrov

I believe that training pre Sherwood was a token gesture by staff with hidden agenda's....Karsa & Co.......the coaching was non existent and one on ones a pipe dream.

.....a bit of involvement, commitment and dash of nous.....has transformed them.

In my view, PL " Threw the towel in" long before he left....and the extent that Lerner was blamed played right in to his hands.....falsely keeping him on side with a section of the fans

• Like 1

One of the biggest differences to this Villa side that had been missing for years is energy and industry. Under previous managers it used to do my head in seeing our forwards and midfielders strolling around the pitch when not directly involved in play. The work rate was shithouse. Not so under Sherwood. They chase, they harass and they make bombing forward runs akin to Cleverley's yesterday.

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 1

Watched the whole of yesterday's game today. The movement across the whole team is miles (literally!) better than under Lambert. I remember watching us just a few months ago, the player on the ball often had no option other than risking a virtually impossible pass, or knocking it back to Guzan, or giving the ball away. "MOVE FOR 'IM!!!" was often the cry. Not any more! :)

• Like 1

I believe that training pre Sherwood was a token gesture by staff with hidden agenda's....Karsa & Co.......the coaching was non existent and one on ones a pipe dream.

.....a bit of involvement, commitment and dash of nous.....has transformed them.

The coaching was the main reason why I thought that Sherwood would be a good appointment. He's supposed to be a superb coach and we are really seeing that. I think coaching was the Lambert regimes biggest problem. I said that for some time, and the switch from the defensive type of football to the pointless possession showed this up. The problem with movement and chance creation and obsession with shape and getting back behind the ball just didn't work with the players we've got.

Whether Tim can keep this up long term is a genuine question, but I can't see why not. We don't know what he's like in terms of player recruitment, one of the plus points in the Lambert regime (I always though these were good players, just he wasn't getting the best out of them) but I think we've seen genuine tack tickle nouse at times, which was supposed to be weak point. I'm also a fan of the varied play. We can play keep ball, go direct, counter and high pressure at different times.

I can't see why with the right signings, (including Cleverley, a centre half and defensive midfielder), keeping Benteke 1 more year why a good top half finish isn't out of the question. We don't draw many under Tim.

Agree think we would be where Stoke/West Ham are currently are in table if Sherwood was here from the start of the season with this squad based on the matches I've seen so far.

Only question I have is whether playing like this would be possible long term throughout a season we play with alot of energy naturally players will get tired.

Agree think we would be where Stoke/West Ham are currently are in table if Sherwood was here from the start of the season with this squad based on the matches I've seen so far.

Only question I have is whether playing like this would be possible long term throughout a season we play with alot of energy naturally players will get tired.

The biggest worry would be Delph and Cleverley, but without Europe I think they should be ok. You also have to remembers that we've essentially had only 2 sometimes 3 defenders fit in the last couple of months, something that under Lambert would always result in catastrophic results.

IF we stay up, (and lose no one this summer) this team is easy contenders for top 8 finish under Tim. Such spirit shown by our players, Tim gets the best out of all of them and its a damn pleasure to watch. 

If evrybody stays in the summer and we continue to play like we have done in the last games, winning the league would not be impossible.

• Like 3

Guest av1

If evrybody stays in the summer and we continue to play like we have done in the last games, winning the league would not be impossible.

Bloody hell, calm down lad ☺

Bloody hell, calm down lad ☺

Based on the criteria he's given, he's right... it would't be impossible. However sustaining that level of performance and improvement over a 38 game league season is highly unlikely, so it can be pretty safely disregarded as a statement, despite the fact that there's nothing technically wrong with it.

Conversely, if Leicester continue the form of their last 5 games across the whole of next season, they WILL win the league

:P

If Timmy could keep his 50% win ratio thoughout the season, we'd finish around 6th :)

It is all about the here and now for Tim Sherwood as the Aston Villa manager tries to navigate a path to Premier League safety, but it is hard to resist the temptation to glimpse into the future and wonder what he could achieve with a full season in charge. “I am allowed to sign whoever I want so long as I can justify the signing. But I believe even if we didn’t make a signing we wouldn’t be in this position again,” Sherwood said.

On the evidence of what we have seen so far it is hard to disagree. Collectively, and individually, Villa are unrecognisable from the side who were sleepwalking towards the Championship under Paul Lambert after winning only two out of their last 21 league games with the Scot in charge and scoring 12 goals in 25 matches.

Their goal tally has more than doubled during Sherwood’s 10 league games at the helm, Villa have reached their first FA Cup final in 15 years, optimism abounds among supporters and as a sign of just how much things have changed on the pitch, the sight of Charles N’Zogbia leaving the field to a standing ovation takes some beating.

Assuming Villa do stay up – they are two points clear of the relegation zone and in their final three games they host West Ham United before visiting Southampton and welcoming Burnley on the final day – arguably the biggest challenge Sherwood will face in the summer is keeping the team he has re-energised together.

Christian Benteke, who scored twice in the first half to take his tally to 11 in his last nine Villa appearances, is the club’s prize asset and it will take all Sherwood’s powers of persuasion to get the striker to buy into his long-term vision and sign an extended contract. Another player Sherwood would like to keep is the midfielder Tom Cleverley, who becomes a free agent in the summer.

If there is one card in Sherwood’s favour it is that he has brought the best out of both players since taking over at Villa Park. Could that mean he gets some loyalty in return? “This football club might be a lot different [next season],” Sherwood said. “I can’t think of too many footballers who would have signed a four-year deal like Fabian Delph did when he could have gone to the top four. Maybe Aston Villa is a club they want to show loyalty to. Let’s hope they all follow suit.”

First, and foremost, Sherwood knows that he needs to preserve Villa’s top-flight status. He talked candidly about how much more pressure he feels under compared with when he was managing Tottenham Hotspur last season – “failure here means you are not in the division” – and simply smiled when asked whether he was doing a good job of hiding the responsibility he carries or if he was just being himself.

“I’m just me. A nutcase no matter where we are in the league. I know I have a great opportunity here and beyond next season if we are in the Premier League. Even from a selfish point of view, I don’t want anyone to take that away from me, so I am doing everything I can to make sure we are in the Premier League.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/03/tim-sherwood-christian-benteke-aston-villa-everton

Â