The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

In contrast to some, I quite like that he doesn't shut up shop when we take the lead, he tries to keep us on the front foot, and tries not to surrender territory. I think he recognises that when we sit back, we cannot defend, so we might as well keep attacking and keep the opposition busy. No complaints from me on his tactics. 

If you look at the goals from last week - Guzan gift, direct free kick, error defending a corner. And the the goals today - penalty, and a corner when we should have been given a free kick. We are not really conceding many goals in "open play". Even the goal against Liverpool was a bit of a farce - we had 3 opportunities to clear it.

Can I also just highlight that we finally look like a danger from set pieces again. We used to be great at scoring from corners and free kicks, but since MON left, we totally lost it. Finally we now seem to know how to deliver the ball, and also how to then keep the ball live in the danger area. Its such a massive part of the game, that we have been very poor at for about 5 years. 

Well done Tim. Keep it up.

• Like 2

Players wanting the ball and moving off the ball were the biggest problem we had before. That looks like one of the first things Sherwood changed: come for the ball, show yourself, move into space for the next ball.

The most basic concept in football, but it has eluded everyone at Villa for over a decade

To be fair, we were a very good team under MON. Regardless of "style".

Players wanting the ball and moving off the ball were the biggest problem we had before. That looks like one of the first things Sherwood changed: come for the ball, show yourself, move into space for the next ball.

The most basic concept in football, but it has eluded everyone at Villa for over a decade

We were a team that was never going any higher than it was because of management. Simple as that. Give me the kind of football we're seeing now with an unknown finishing position over MON football and 6th every season any day. One has a very clear ceiling, the other doesn't

I was one of the only one defending him as a choice. 

No you weren't

• Like 1

We were a team that was never going any higher than it was because of management. Simple as that. Give me the kind of football we're seeing now with an unknown finishing position over MON football and 6th every season any day. One has a very clear ceiling, the other doesn't

I know what you mean, and agree to an extent. While we were very direct under MON (and still entertaining), Sherwood has us mixing our play alot more - direct, passing through the middle, on the wings - and its great to watch.

I just think that we, like most football fans, are unrealistic. We had it great under MON, and we wanted more. Look at Newcastle and Pardew - they wanted him out so badly, and now look whats happened. We've had bad times in recent years, but I have great memories of the MON years.

Sherwood has us playing very well, but assuming we stay up, people's expectations next year should take into account how we have done in the past 5 years!

We had it great under MON, and we wanted more.

I think there's wanting more and wanting the potential for more. For me, the latter is the important bit. You always want to see that you can potentially improve, and I felt under MON the only way to do that was if he'd left at the end of the 2nd 6th place season

Can't believe how well the players have responded to Sherwood. Goals and assists from midfield is a very promising sign. Can't believe this is the previous lacklustre midfield is now one of the most dynamic in the league. Love the fact we can play through the middle of teams now, something we've lacked for years.

Expectations are sky high now, is team could really go places with a few key signings. Keeping Benteke is a must, but we need to learn to play without him just incase. What a player though, I think he'd be a fool to want to leave. He could tear the league apart next season if delph, grealish and bacuna keep up This sort of service.

Think bacuna needs to be in the team, he's proved time and again he can create chances,but just not at right back. Where does sherwood fit him in?

Tactics **** Tim. He's done better than any of us could've dreamed since coming here. What's most impressive for me is how he's turned comfortably the worst attacking team in the league to one of the most potent.

I really think man-manangement is his strength. Just look what he did with transforming Cleverley's style of play,  given Grealish the confidence he needed, and got the Beast firing again (I still think the Jury is out on Zog).

When people were singing "Sherwood give us a wave" did he salute or wave? Couldn't see it from where i was standing, but the guys in front were all saluting like a corporal just walked in lmao

Tactics **** Tim. He's done better than any of us could've dreamed since coming here. What's most impressive for me is how he's turned comfortably the worst attacking team in the league to one of the most potent.

I really think man-manangement is his strength. Just look what he did with transforming Cleverley's style of play,  given Grealish the confidence he needed, and got the Beast firing again (I still think the Jury is out on Zog).

There is a lot more to it than man management.

He has - rapidly - implemented a system, picked the players to make it work, drilled them in their roles, given them belief, subtly altered tactics in each game, but not so much that the players get fuddled and not so much to disrupt the style. In addition to that he has, god knows how, so quickly, got them all, even Zog, to realise it is then down to them to give, to quote Sir Ron, "110%".

Of course it is early days, and I'm one who wrongly thought lambo was our answer, but at the moment he is spot on for me.

Bit amongst all this praise I do feel lambo deserves credit for the quality of the players we have.

When people were singing "Sherwood give us a wave" did he salute or wave? Couldn't see it from where i was standing, but the guys in front were all saluting like a corporal just walked in lmao

Looked like a salute to me.

Hope it was lol.

I remember when everyone was against him and I was one of the only one defending him as a choice. 

Well done you. Have a biscuit. 

I think it was about 50-50 in favour or against 

• Like 1

Â