The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Tactics and formations as an abstract idea are pretty useless apart from a specific context of players.  Tactics comes down to 3 very specific things. 

1. Knowing your players strengths and abilitiies and capitalizing on those.  Sherwood did that well by telling Benteke "get ready to see a lot more of the ball.  I know you can put it in the net so we'll get it to.  You do your thing and put it in, or lay it off so someone else can put it in."  Then he set up the supporing cast to make that happen.

2. Watching the opponent, seeing their tendencies, their errors, and their weaknesses, then setting up to capitalize on those.  It appears he did that well for the cup semi as well - shifting from the wing play with crosses to the two number 10's. 

3. Adjusting to adaptations in the match.  Rodgers tried to do that, but failed miserably.  To this point, if Sherwood has a tactical weakness, this would appear to be its most likely place.  I'm judging that mostly on his subs, that have not always made sense to me.  TBF, He may be making other positional and strategic adjustments I'm not noticing.

BTW, I managed a team of 8 year olds to their league championship, so you know I'm an expert at this.

• Like 4

Well he showed a different side to his tactical approach vs Liverpool because we were set up playing 443 with Grealish and Zogbia coming in off the wings. At least he had the sense to play proper wingers in them roles unlike Lambert.

Tactics and formations as an abstract idea are pretty useless apart from a specific context of players.  Tactics comes down to 3 very specific things. 

1. Knowing your players strengths and abilitiies and capitalizing on those.  Sherwood did that well by telling Benteke "get ready to see a lot more of the ball.  I know you can put it in the net so we'll get it to.  You do your thing and put it in, or lay it off so someone else can put it in."  Then he set up the supporing cast to make that happen.

2. Watching the opponent, seeing their tendencies, their errors, and their weaknesses, then setting up to capitalize on those.  It appears he did that well for the cup semi as well - shifting from the wing play with crosses to the two number 10's. 

3. Adjusting to adaptations in the match.  Rodgers tried to do that, but failed miserably.  To this point, if Sherwood has a tactical weakness, this would appear to be its most likely place.  I'm judging that mostly on his subs, that have not always made sense to me.  TBF, He may be making other positional and strategic adjustments I'm not noticing.

BTW, I managed a team of 8 year olds to their league championship, so you know I'm an expert at this.

As there is no smiley I'm not sure how I should take this

Did you pick the biggest kids or the most skilful ones? Be honest....

Well he showed a different side to his tactical approach vs Liverpool because we were set up playing 443 with Grealish and Zogbia coming in off the wings. At least he had the sense to play proper wingers in them roles unlike Lambert.

Hardly seems fair

• Like 3

Hardly seems fair

Well it is what it is, just stating a fact. 

Actually, I offered all the kids on the other team ice cream if they lost.  :)   (The smiley face is just so grasshopper knows how to take it.   GH, You're welcome.)

• Like 1

He seems to be taking more about if we don't survive etc saying he'll take some blame and people like cleverly won't sign. First signs of self doubt or managing expectation? I want confidence Timmy!

• Like 1

Actually, I offered all the kids on the other team ice cream if they lost.  :)   (The smiley face is just so grasshopper knows how to take it.   GH, You're welcome.)

Are you Adam Johnson by any chance?

• Like 1

Excellent interview. I enjoyed that.

The Villa managers job is a funny position in many ways because unless you are very successful, the inly way is down. There are not many bigger jobs than Villa out there and with the exception of Graham Taylor, who went on to the full England manager, I can't think of anyone else who went forward from here.

I'm really comfortable with Sherwood. I think its a good fit and I can see us progressing. I would like to see a lengthy relationship between the club and Tim. I feel better about him being here than many other managerial appointments. I think we're a good fit for each other.

Hopefully the new owners don't have any silly ideas when they take over.

What I would say is Sherwoods profile has been raised. Not many would have wanted him before we took him but I'd wager that many do now.

I don't know if I'm paying less attention to it or if he is out of the media limelight, the rags obviously love spurs and he became a sound bite, we have the touch line antics and the passion but we don't seem to have the comments and gobbyness that made him likeable but in a thank **** he's not ours kind of way, not sure if he's learnt from spurs or people are no longer sniffing round trying to get a headline

I think his profile hasn't been raised as such but people are now starting to look at him for the football side of things rather than his personality

• Like 1

I was wondering why the tactics board had so many claret circles, had about 30, then the close up showed that the players are on them. And people say Lerner ain't spending money.

Had anyone else noticed that he actually seems a little uncomfortable doing interviews? He trips over words quite a lot, though he fronts it out such that the message is always clear. I think he's often restraining his true thoughts as best he can but it's as if the media training hasn't fully taken! It's also probably why he is occasionally rather controversial. The mask slips...

I hope he never becomes stoic like the rest of them. Even when we start losing.

• Like 1

Â