The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood didn't do a whole lot wrong on Sunday. Just because Liverpool's only real sustained period of attack coincided with Sinclair and Cole coming on does not mean it was due to that, Liverpool were always going to have a go at some point. Personally we should be praising Sherwood for not altering anything despite going a goal down, something Rodgers did a lot on Sunday. We may actually have Rodgers to thank for some of our fortunes as when they went 1-0 up he changed formation which screwed them over, he went on to change formation I believe three times over the course of the match. Sherwood had a game plan and he stuck to it through thick and thin and it worked for us as we're in the final and Liverpool aren't. As they say correlation does not imply causation, just because Liverpool's mounted offensive coincided with our substitutions does not imply it was due to that in any way.

I have always been a bit dubious about tactics, I think it is a bit subjective.....and every fan will have his/her own take on it....I'm not discarding it as pointless, just think that , will to win, Individual/team belief, camararderie,confidence, Energy,is more important overall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at Guardiola, Mourinho. Tactics are so important.

Otherwise an army general would be a good football coach.

In my opinion Tims tactics have been spot on. This is why the team is reacting.

People seem to forget we were losing 2-3 to QPR. We came back and got a point. Why isn't Sherwood getting credit for this.

just not as convinced as you are....but don't disagree with you.

• Like 2

Sherwood didn't do a whole lot wrong on Sunday. Just because Liverpool's only real sustained period of attack coincided with Sinclair and Cole coming on does not mean it was due to that, Liverpool were always going to have a go at some point. Personally we should be praising Sherwood for not altering anything despite going a goal down, something Rodgers did a lot on Sunday. We may actually have Rodgers to thank for some of our fortunes as when they went 1-0 up he changed formation which screwed them over, he went on to change formation I believe three times over the course of the match. Sherwood had a game plan and he stuck to it through thick and thin and it worked for us as we're in the final and Liverpool aren't. As they say correlation does not imply causation, just because Liverpool's mounted offensive coincided with our substitutions does not imply it was due to that in any way.

I have always been a bit dubious about tactics, I think it is a bit subjective.....and every fan will have his/her own take on it....I'm not discarding it as pointless, just think that , will to win, Individual/team belief, camararderie,confidence, Energy,is more important overall.

People seem to forget we were losing 2-3 to QPR. We came back and got a point. Why isn't Sherwood getting credit for this.

Hold on, let's be slightly impartial here, what was the tactical masterstroke that lead to Benteke scoring from a dead ball? 

I kind of agree that Sherwood is a better tactician than he's given credit for, but the QPR game isn't really good evidence for that. We nearly lost that game after having bossed the first half because Ramsey made a simple but astute change to their formation and then we struggled to stay with them. 

Hold on, let's be slightly impartial here, what was the tactical masterstroke that lead to Benteke scoring from a dead ball? 

I kind of agree that Sherwood is a better tactician than he's given credit for, but the QPR game isn't really good evidence for that. We nearly lost that game after having bossed the first half because Ramsey made a simple but astute change to their formation and then we struggled to stay with them. 

True, but there is always a flip side. In the semi final, he stuck to his game plan while Rodgers changed formation at least 3 times - all to no avail (or to the detriment of their cause).

Sometimes changing your tactics to deal with an opponent is not as important as focusing on your own style.

• Like 1

If anything Rodgers confused his own players with his "tactical skills"

not that they arent important but I think tactics are very overrated in the game at the moment and people get too obsessive with them e.g Alex Ferguson wasnt a great tactician, he always built the teams to its strengths.

Ive never seen a tactic score a goal ;)

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

Sometimes a team can just be playing better than you even if you've got your tactics right.  QPR played very well indeed against Spurs and Arsenal in recent games, and were unlucky not to have taken anything from the games.  An Arsenal mate of mine says that QPR absolutely ran the first half, and Wenger certainly isn't a tactical dunce.  The fact that we're so attack minded now means that we've got a chance of winning free kicks and penalties, as Benteke has the ball a lot now, which almost never happened under Lambert before he left.  I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen from Sherwood in terms of setting us up, bearing in mind the injuries and the form of the players he inherited.  We haven't looked out of place in comfortable wins against two sides who have been going for the top 4 this season, which will do for me.

• Like 3

Tim's tactics were fine against Liverpool, I thought the changes were good too. Liverpool were always going to be on top in the last 15 mins as they were chasing the game. Also our players had put that much effort in during the first 75 mins they were all pretty dead on their feet.

I completely disagree. Jack and Nzog were able to carry the ball forward and remove pressure all day, and they were playing well when the change happened. After Cole and Sinclair came on we had no outlet, and that is why the pressure level changed IMO.

CNZ can't play a full 90 minutes

Thought that was fairly obvious from the fact that I don't think he's actually managed it once since he's been here!?!?

It just dawned me on earlier.. We've beaten 2 top teams in a row and neither of them looked anything like a fluke.

Even when we beat the top teams under Lambert they were textbook snatch and grab wins, under Sherwood we looked absolutely deserving of the wins.

I can't wait to see what he can do next season, premiership football or otherwise.

• Like 4

Sherwood's starting tactics have generally been fine here if you look at most of the games.

We started well against Stoke on his debut, were brilliant first half against West Brom and Sunderland and also were good first half v QPR and Spurs.

The trend seems to be for us to dip in the second half of games for various reasons...whether it's simply the team dosen't have the fitness to be as intense for 90 minutes or Sherwood struggles to read games as I thought his sub choices in the second half v Swansea were poor for example.

That however all changed on Sunday when we seized the opportunity to win the game in the second half and Liverpool barely created anything in response bar a couple of set pieces so that pleases me that we can play a competitive game against a decent team for 90 minutes rather than one half.

It just dawned me on earlier.. We've beaten 2 top teams in a row and neither of them looked anything like a fluke.

Even when we beat the top teams under Lambert they were textbook snatch and grab wins, under Sherwood we looked absolutely deserving of the wins.

I can't wait to see what he can do next season, premiership football or otherwise.

Massively good point.

What I find encouraging is that he has learnt from the naievity of the QPR game. We were far more professional and less hung ho against Spurs and dippers. Yes he still leasrnibg as as manager, but learning fast. And goodness me are we benefitting from it.

Also, I really hope we don't bring Chris Ramsey in. His backroom team here is perfectly balanced between coaches who understand this club, and ones highly respected within the game, such as Parks.

Edited by stewiek2

I know we have had so many false dawns....but we need to be mindful of not damping the enthusiasm the manager has brought to us.....there will be dips and set backs.....but this guys needs all the encouragement he can get in order to get some momentum behind the juggernaut that is Aston Villa.

As others have said, this wasn't the old nick-one-early-then-park-the-bus stolen victory. Not against Liverpool and not against Spurs. We absolutely deserved to win those games and we played some terrific football.

That should give the team a bit of hope that we can genuinely beat anyone. There should be no sense of inevitability about this weekend's result either. With Benteke in form, we can score goals against Man City. When you can score relatively freely, you're dangerous against anyone.

Â