The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Im not going to go and find the quote but a couple of weeks ago 'Id rather Carles Gil be here next season than Tim Sherwood' got 10+ likes, which I thought was utterly bizarre.

Keep proving them wrong Tim, wind everyone up, throw your jacket/coat/gilet all over the place. Love the passion.

Opinions on VT?

Not allowed! :rant: 

I think that all opinions should be allowed but, the shite ones should surely be laughed at?

• Like 3

I saw the word "pride" earlier, written as a factor we the fans have been reinvigorated by since Sherwood took the helm. I have to agree whole heartedly, that pride has been lacking for far too long - we've simply not seen the results or the football to make us or anybody else proud. 

"Pride of the Midlands" - I used to have a rip off Villa t-shirt as a kid that had this slogan on it, along with a "VILLA" printed on the front. I was proud to be a Villa fan, we were indeed the Pride of the Midlands. These last few years haven't felt that way though, I've felt like I support one of those small clubs and my pride was swallowed to own up to the fact we were no longer a force, we were no longer a big club. We weren't entertaining, I began to buy into this results thing and us playing however we need to so that we don't get relegated. That wasn't what I remember from the days of my rip off t-shirt, I remember the challenges for the title, the star signings, the cup finals.

But now we're into another cup final, with a 50/50 chance of winning arguably one of the biggest cups of them all, and even I haven't lived to see us win this one. Our footballing style is reverting to one that people enjoy watching, one that turns heads with skill and class, one with a goals, one which is feared by opposing teams and fans. We are indeed the Pride of the Midlands, we aren't one of those small clubs; Bluenoses, Baggies or the like. We are Aston Villa, and I have a feeling things are on the up for us, finally.

• Like 3

Three things (not sure where to put them)

1) This result (link) was the worst moment as a Villa fan for me. It broke my heart. I went for a long walk the day after the game and didn't want to talk to anybody. - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_cup/756784.stm

"A blunder by Aston Villa keeper David James handed Chelsea victory in the last FA Cup final to be played under Wembley's Twin Towers."

-----------------

2) As far as I am aware, Lerner has been to two games this season. Both against Arsenal. This report fills me with dread. - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3046782/Aston-Villa-owner-Randy-Lerner-attend-FA-Cup-final-missing-semi-final-win-Liverpool-family-bereavement.html

"Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner to attend FA Cup final after missing semi-final win over Liverpool due to family bereavement"

-------------------

3) And finally. I think we will be seeing a lot of reports like this one :(https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/why-aston-villa-need-a-miracle-to-stop-arsenal-retaining-the-fa-cup-111856931.html

"Why Aston Villa need a miracle to stop Arsenal retaining the FA Cup"

Edited by DK82

It's not really journalism to suggest that Arsenal are a better side than Aston Villa at present and that generally better sides win football matches. I find it surprising that there haven't been more upsets over the years, but not so much when you also factor in that those better sides are also usually more adept at finding the killer blow. They are generally more experienced at winning things. 

But every game is an island. A game of football lasts 90 minutes, not 20 years. History counts for naff all come May 30th. 

• Like 1

Still sceptical based on his tactical abilities, but he's young and still learning his trades. Next season will certainly be interesting.

What has he done wrong tactically since he's been here?
Let Stoke and Qpr control the game vs us after they made tactical changes and he didn't respond and left us too open vs Swansea and didn't see the warning signs down the flanks. Im willing to forgive such instances as he is basically just starting out as a manager and has showed a lot of promise in most games for us to date. He's hardly the finished article and I hope you're not suggesting he is perfect? Edited by Bunnski

No of course not but he's made a few mistakes that all managers make. Not even mourinho and Wenger get it right every game.

I don't see any of those as making me sceptical about his tactics. I think on the most part he's been tactically good. He sets us up to get the best out of the players he picks and the football we play has been attacking and entertaining.

• Like 1

Still sceptical based on his tactical abilities, but he's young and still learning his trades. Next season will certainly be interesting.

Let Stoke and Qpr control the game vs us after they made tactical changes and he didn't respond and left us too open vs Swansea and didn't see the warning signs down the flanks. Im willing to forgive such instances as he is basically just starting out as a manager and has showed a lot of promise in most games for us to date. He's hardly the finished article and I hope you're not suggesting he is perfect?

You cant win them all, give him a  break

Does anyone think the factor is maybe as simple as not feeling pressured? Something about his charisma tells me he's not worried to express himself, and buck the trend...which I think other managers can't deal with.

I look at managers like your alladyce and pulis, these guys are almost pidgeon holed. When clubs pick them up, a specific agenda is set for them...like saving from relegation. This is a high pressure for them to work a certain way.

Tim seems to play with freedom, and that reflects in the team. He does the simple things like playing to players strengths and not making the players play to his system (your round hole and square pegs scenario).

Just seems to play with a bit of guile, and isn't afraid of anything / anyone.

We've been the polar opposite to the Pride of the Midlands over recent years.

Up until Sherwood arrived it's no exaggeration to say we were the laughing stock of the league.

Sundays performance filled me with pride, even if Liverpool had scored late on and gone on to win the game I'd still have been proud (but gutted, obvs).

I can't allow myself to go into full rapture just yet, not until we're safe in the league but I'm finding it hard not to be fully won over by Tim.

Please let this prove to be the rule and not the exception

• Like 1

Let Stoke and Qpr control the game vs us after they made tactical changes and he didn't respond and left us too open vs Swansea and didn't see the warning signs down the flanks. Im willing to forgive such instances as he is basically just starting out as a manager and has showed a lot of promise in most games for us to date. He's hardly the finished article and I hope you're not suggesting he is perfect?

You cant win them all, give him a break
Was just pointing out when I thought he looked bad tactically and wasn't even having a dig, overall he has been a success and if he can keep doing what he has done so far I'll be more than happy with him.

Did sherwood manage against arsenal last season?

Lost 1-0 at home. Though 60% possession and 17-7 in shots suggests they must've played alright.

They were incredibly unlucky that game, there was a mental clearence off the line from Arsenal early in the second half and Spurs might've gone on to win from there.

Of course being Spurs, Sherwood throwing his Gilet to the ground early on got more coverage than the actual game.

Â