The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He did, there was no coming back from where he left us. Especially with the players that he signed.

If you really believe it was Sherwood that signed all those foreign players then I can see why you'd think it was him that got us relegated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

If you really believe it was Sherwood that signed all those foreign players then I can see why you'd think it was him that got us relegated.

This is all conjecture on my part, but i dread to think about the sort of crap Sherwood would have brought in. Ibwould doubt that given carte blanche over the transfer policy he would have kept us up anyway. 

19 hours ago, Dick said:

I think getting found out for having a high line, no second tactic, rubbish with subs and a lot more is where it became a burden for him. No tactics, no idea, no solutions.

2nd season yes, first season the higher intensity of the training and matches took its toll on the players. But he did his job kept us up and got us to a cup final so I will never knock him for what he did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Not sure if you are suggesting sherwood had no say in any of those players? Here is just one I found from the Adama signing that strongly suggests he was involved with signing of players

Adama Traore has been confirmed as an Aston Villa signing today.

The 19-year-old winger has joined the club on a five year deal from FC Barcelona.

His arrival from Barcelona has been met with huge excitement.

There’s a genuine belief inside the Aston Villa camp that this kid is the real deal and ready to shine in the Premier League.

Boss Tim Sherwood, the man who has tracked the 19-year-old for over two years, joked that he was a ‘mixture of Messi and Ronaldo’.

It was a firmly tongue-in-cheek remark but the smile that followed was of genuine delight that he’s landed a winger who he feels can make a huge difference to this squad.

After finally getting the deal over the line today, the Villa chief said of the right-winger:

“He is a big powerful boy, very quick, dynamic, and a maverick type of player. You never know what’s going to come out next.

“Those players are very few and far between.”

When asked who he could be compared to, the 46-year-old quipped:

“He’s a bit of Messi and Ronaldo!”

Then he added: “He is very dynamic.

Sherwood joked Adama is like Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi - but hopes the youngster will make his own name for himself (Image: Martin Rickett/PA Wire)

“He stays wide, picks the ball up, runs at defenders and doesn’t give them a minute’s peace.

“I wouldn’t like to compare him to any other player, hopefully he’ll make his own name for himself and they will want to be the new Adama Traore.”

Adama is obviously someway off the two La Liga greats that Sherwood name-checked.

The Villa manager isn’t big into comparing players, though. He wants his stars to have an edge, a uniqueness and the desire to create their own style rather than moulding themselves on someone else.

Sherwood, as diligent as ever, spent a huge amount of time watching and assessing Adama.

Check out this clip of Adama Traore's skills on display

He told the scouting network at Villa that he was a big fan and their feedback only helped to enhance his fondness.

The recruitment team spent weeks trying to get the deal over the line and Sherwood himself went above board to help the switch progress.

“I went to Barcelona and spoke to the representatives,” he said.

“We made a huge effort to bring him to the club because I’ve known him for a couple of years.

“He is someone I have been tracking for a long time.

Aston Villa ins and outs

“I tried to see if it was possible to bring him to Tottenham when I was there.

“He has played a lot of games for someone so young because he is physically a man.

“We showed him this is a great stage for him.

“We recognise he needs developing and that I will give him as much development time as possible.

“We will give him a lot of work on the training field to improve what he already has.”

While some of Villa’s senior players are said to be delighted to see such a talented star join their ranks from one of the biggest clubs in the world, Sherwood has warned that huge expectations should not be placed on shoulders.

“We are delighted he has chosen Aston Villa to continue his development, but that is what it is (development).

“He is not the finished article by any means.

“He is certainly a player who can help us out now, but for the long term future he could be magnificent.”

Click

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I really hate this. 

I hate that Sherwood gets a free pass on transfers because he moaned to the media about it. 

He’s as responsible for our transfers that season as any manager is at most clubs. We had a transfer committee then, we undoubtedly have a transfer committee now and we had a transfer committee before then. As does every other club in the country, or most of them. 

The manager doesn’t sign the players at any club. He has input into it of course, but he doesn’t go out and discover them. He’s just involved in the process. 

So why is it that Sherwood gets let off, just because he claimed he had no say. Even though he’s previously said he did have a say. It’s mental. 

Plus, what makes it worse, is that it’s generally accepted that the players that Sherwood DID have the most say in signing were Lescott, Richards and Gestede. Who are all total shit. 

Bruce isn’t getting let off for his transfers. But I bet you he has more or less as much say in our transfers now as Sherwood did then. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I really hate this. 

I hate that Sherwood gets a free pass on transfers because he moaned to the media about it. 

He’s as responsible for our transfers that season as any manager is at most clubs. We had a transfer committee then, we undoubtedly have a transfer committee now and we had a transfer committee before then. As does every other club in the country, or most of them. 

The manager doesn’t sign the players at any club. He has input into it of course, but he doesn’t go out and discover them. He’s just involved in the process. 

So why is it that Sherwood gets let off, just because he claimed he had no say. Even though he’s previously said he did have a say. It’s mental. 

Plus, what makes it worse, is that it’s generally accepted that the players that Sherwood DID have the most say in signing were Lescott, Richards and Gestede. Who are all total shit. 

Bruce isn’t getting let off for his transfers. But I bet you [Bruce] has more or less as much say in our transfers now as Sherwood did then. 

I genuinely doubt that the bolded part is the case.  Back then we seemed to have gone with a model that made the signing of players very much the responsibility of Paddy Riley.  Now while I don't doubt that Bruce's suggestions need to be OK'd and go through some process, I think Bruce has a lot more sway in the current setup than Timothy did in the previous one.  And Sherwood is not getting a free pass.  I just don't hold him responsible for relegating us.  For a variety of different reasons not limited to our final summer transfer window in the Premier League.  Which is why mine is a middle ground, and a good example of why; up to now; I haven't been in here.  He's not the devil and he's not fantastic.  He's a hilarious gobshite who was part of a much bigger f*ck up at this club and can not carry the can on his own.  That's all.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

I genuinely doubt that the bolded part is the case.  Back then we seemed to have gone with a model that made the signing of players very much the responsibility of Paddy Riley.  Now while I don't doubt that Bruce's suggestions need to be OK'd and go through some process, I think Bruce has a lot more sway in the current setup than Timothy did in the previous one.  And Sherwood is not getting a free pass.  I just don't hold him responsible for relegating us.  For a variety of different reasons not limited to our final summer transfer window in the Premier League.  Which is why mine is a middle ground, and a good example of why; up to now; I haven't been in here.  He's not the devil and he's not fantastic.  He's a hilarious gobshite who was part of a much bigger f*ck up at this club and can not carry the can on his own.  That's all.

I do hold sherwood responsible for the transfers like above he talked about knowing about adama. He is equally as responsible as riley fox and that other loser we sacked. Of course Lerner is massiveky to blame but sherwood for me is equally reresponsible.  

That 6-1 hammering at Southampton was a total disgrace.  If there was another 5 games left that season he would have relegated us a season sooner.

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He is equally as responsible as riley fox and that other loser we sacked. Of course Lerner is massiveky to blame but sherwood for me is equally reresponsible. 

You've a strange way of agreeing with me Dem but I'm glad you do.

55 minutes ago, BOF said:

and can not carry the can on his own

2 hours ago, BOF said:

And also, for balance, whilst pointing a finger to say he was part of the shitshow that is/was Villa for the past 5+ years we should also acknowledge that he brought out the best single performance I've seen from a Villa side since MoN's days (semi final vs L'pool).

That day was the last day I was truly proud to be a Villa fan, we were outstanding to a man that day.

I've said it before, the mauling at Southampton is what turned the tide on Timmy's chapter here, he didn't know how to respond to it properly, you could see during the game he was on the verge of tears. Too emotional for management in my view.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

the mauling at Southampton is what turned the tide on Timmy's chapter here, he didn't know how to respond to it properly, you could see during the game he was on the verge of tears. Too emotional for management in my view.

For me it was the interview he gave to the official site where he said he would continue to change the system until he found one that worked.  That dartboard approach to management told me he needed to be sacked immediately.  I've never flip-flopped on a person as quickly as I did reading that.  Up to then I had been in the 'it's not great but he needs time' camp.  But that told me he had no clue what he was at.  It was a staggering admission of his own incompetence, and it never dawned on him what he had said.  He was gone soon afterwards, so someone high up obviously read a similar message between the lines.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

For me it was the interview he gave to the official site where he said he would continue to change the system until he found one that worked.  That dartboard approach to management told me he needed to be sacked immediately.  I've never flip-flopped on a person as quickly as I did reading that.  Up to then I had been in the 'it's not great but he needs time' camp.  But that told me he had no clue what he was at.  It was a staggering admission of his own incompetence, and it never dawned on him what he had said.  He was gone soon afterwards, so someone high up obviously read a similar message between the lines.

Must admit I don't recall that sequence of events as clearly, I do also temper what they say vs what they mean sometimes during interviews but I can see why anyone would find that disconcerting at the least!

I think we can all agree it was the right decision to sack him, not sure I'd go as far as to say the wrong decision to hire him as he more than fulfilled his brief initially.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

That interview after the Leicester loss was a huge red flag. It showed his inability to handle the pressure of being a manager.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

You've a strange way of agreeing with me Dem but I'm glad you do.

My argument was you not agreeing sherwood was not responsible for the signings. I think he was heavily involved therefore massively played a part in our doomsday

On 11/27/2017 at 18:48, Zatman said:

Sherwood blistering start became a burden in the end for him and we inevitably slipped down to our level

Ah yes, it was because he was so good in the beginning that he couldn't handle being that good and was dragged down to Aston Villa's level  :crylaugh: 

9 hours ago, BOF said:

In fairness, some of those foreign players nearly kept us up - Idrissa Gueye was our best player that season by a mile. It's the meat and potatoes English signings, the "Sherwood men" that got us relegated - the likes of Richards and Lescott.

As for Sherwood himself, he's a terrible manager - the worst I can recall here. He's not solely responsible for relegating us of course, we'd spent too long being on the edge of it - but a better manager would have seen us swirl around the plughole a little longer I think. 

His tactical knowledge was laughable, he was a decent motivator of players and they liked him and I think there's a place for him alongside someone who knows how to manage a football team - he's essentially football management's equivalent to Bez from the Happy Mondays.

There's a reason he hasn't worked since he was here I feel.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That 6-1 hammering at Southampton was a total disgrace.  If there was another 5 games left that season he would have relegated us a season sooner.

On the flip side, he was the reason we survived that year with the results before. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I really hate this. 

Bruce isn’t getting let off for his transfers. But I bet you he has more or less as much say in our transfers now as Sherwood did then. 

The reason he should not get a pass is that he claimed full credit for the transfers when he initially made them and they appeared to be decent. Then when they flopped he tried to wash his hands off them. Nope, he gets the full blame for being a self-aggrandizing ****

• Like 1

Â