The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Bruce literally just a month or 2 ago, 7 wins from 11 and only 2 losses? Lambert at the end of his first season, 6 wins from 13? Houllier's run of 7 wins from 16 to stay up at the end of the season including wins at the Emirates and thrillers like the West Ham game was a nice too.

And we haven't won 3 in a row in the league since the MON days, so I'm assuming you're including cup games in that. So like I said, take out the cup game and it's the exact same thing. Actually some of the runs I just mentioned were arguably better.

Bruce is or was doing it in a much weaker league....yeah Lambert fair enough end of his first season but even then it was only us beating the other relegation teams and losing to anyone decent....Houllier was ill when we beat Arsenal and Liverpool at the end of 10/11.

As much as Sherwood got found out massively at the end of 14/15....in the few weeks before then we were playing well, scoring goals and deserving to win games. If you look at the posts back in March and April 2015 I doubt many on here were posting stuff like chancer and winging it and all that.

We were outplaying likes of Liverpool with Coutinho, Sterling and Balotelli in the team, it was relatively good times.

Shame it all blew up though and then yes Sherwood had no answer when we lost Vlaar, D*lph and Benteke.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Surely that's on Lerner for hiring someone who didn't have those badges. 

It definitely is. Doesn't make Sherwood not a fraud though unfortunately. He had the nerve to turn down other PL jobs before us if you recall and didn't even bother with Fulham in the Championship I think it was.

17 hours ago, Mantis said:

Swear some people are singing this guy's praises just to be contrarian.

I think it's more that people were so fed up with Lambert, and Sherwood came in and gave an immediate relief and was a fresh of breath air as well as giving us a memorable semifinal. People look back on that fondly I guess. But if you were to look at it objectively, I can't see how he's not our worst manager. If say only Di Matteo comes close.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Mantis said:

Swear some people are singing this guy's praises just to be contrarian.

I don't think it is that. He is an awful manager, yes, but our best football in the last few years came when he was our appointed our new manager up until the Southampton game. The 'football' under Lambert prior to that made me want to self harm. From the Southampton game, it was godawful followed by Garde, Black, RDM and now Bruce. A succession of seemingly inept managers.

It really has been a barren time for good memories but for me there is no argument that we played our best under Sherwood in that spell. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I think it's more that people were so fed up with Lambert, and Sherwood came in and gave an immediate relief and was a fresh of breath air as well as giving us a memorable semifinal. People look back on that fondly I guess. But if you were to look at it objectively, I can't see how he's not our worst manager. If say only Di Matteo comes close.

because our current shit manager and his expensively assembled team cant beat Ipswich, Barnsley or Preston at home

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I don't think it is that. He is an awful manager, yes, but our best football in the last few years came when he was our appointed our new manager up until the Southampton game. The 'football' under Lambert prior to that made me want to self harm. From the Southampton game, it was godawful followed by Garde, Black, RDM and now Bruce. A succession of seemingly inept managers.

It really has been a barren time for good memories but for me there is no argument that we played our best under Sherwood in that spell. 

We may have had a few games where we played good football but he was just as inept as all those guys, if not more so. I'm not the sort of person who thinks results are absolutely everything but I just find it very hard to look fondly upon a guy who was so utterly inept and who delivered so much shit (Southampton, Arsenal, Leicester etc).

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

We may have had a few games where we played good football but he was just as inept as all those guys, if not more so. I'm not the sort of person who thinks results are absolutely everything but I just find it very hard to look fondly upon a guy who was so utterly inept and who delivered so much shit (Southampton, Arsenal, Leicester etc).

At least we put Sherwood out of his misery fairly quickly....results started to properly go south in September 2015 and he was out of a job 6 weeks later.

Lambert's results nosedived in December 2012....and he was still in a job over two years later.

That's another thing for me....at least it was over very quickly. The Lambert reign just went on and on and on and on and on and 99% of it was utterly wretched.

24 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

So people have an opinion that Sherwood isn't our worst manager and it's purposely being contrarian!?

Erm, no. It's just an opinion. I'm sure most, if not all, the people who hold that opinion also think he's a word removed and all in all a shit manager, but not our worst ever.

Agreed. For me Garde was worse. I think Sherwood's 15/16 was worse than Garde, but then if you have to ignore what he did for us in 14/15 to try and prove a point then there's just an element of bias in there anyway.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

At least we put Sherwood out of his misery fairly quickly....results started to properly go south in September 2015 and he was out of a job 6 weeks later.

Lambert's results nosedived in December 2012....and he was still in a job over two years later.

That's another thing for me....at least it was over very quickly. The Lambert reign just went on and on and on and on and on and 99% of it was utterly wretched.

Lambert's results picked up by mid January 2013 and from there he had the best form of his career with us until the end of that season. December 2012 low as it was, wasn't the start of a nosedive. 

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Lambert's results picked up by mid January 2013 and from there he had the best form of his career with us until the end of that season. December 2012 low as it was, wasn't the start of a nosedive. 

we had 1 win until 2nd March that year

13 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

So people have an opinion that Sherwood isn't our worst manager and it's purposely being contrarian!?

Erm, no. It's just an opinion. I'm sure most, if not all, the people who hold that opinion also think he's a word removed and all in all a shit manager, but not our worst ever.

Don't know whose posts you've been reading but certainly not mine. I never said anything of the sort. What I actually said was "I think some people are singing his praises to be contrarian". There's a huge difference between being full of praise for somebody and simply not thinking they're the worst manager ever.

Do try and keep up.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

As Keyblade said, results did pick up under towards the end of that season. Yeah things were pretty poor after that until he was finally sacked but things never really got as bad as they did under Sherwood until mid-way through 14/15 and he was sacked not long after that.

14 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed. For me Garde was worse. I think Sherwood's 15/16 was worse than Garde, but then if you have to ignore what he did for us in 14/15 to try and prove a point then there's just an element of bias in there anyway.

I do kind of agree, but the caveat with garde was he took over an absolute shit show.

I don't think any manager would have performed anywhere near their best taking over the shower that Sherwood left behind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I do kind of agree, but the caveat with garde was he took over an absolute shit show.

I don't think any manager would have performed anywhere near their best taking over the shower that Sherwood left behind

Do you think Garde if appointed at time of Sherwood was appointed would have kept us up? I think Sherwood is just being judged for the FA Cup final performance and the 10 games or so he was in charge the following season.

Â