• Sinclair (for Bacuna 77)
    • Grealish (for Weimann 83)
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Very similar to  the Bournemouth game. A poor first half with Given keeling us in it, followed by a much improved second- with the first  goal and cracker. Then get a second and let inn a silly goal to ensure we still haven't won a game by 2 clear goals this season.

Given was good, Cleverley had his best game for us and nice to see Vlaar back. Even Benteke got some of his mojo back in the last 30 mins or so. Clark destroying Morgan was the stand out moment for me, lovely. What is it with the Leicester fans and them really hating us? Enjoy the seaonn because they are going straight back down again. Hopefully we won't join them.

Some stats to finish this off

Bacuna, Gil and Cole- are  the only midfielder to  have scored 3 goals in 13 starts. Westwood, Delph and Cleverley have started 59 matches and scored none. Need to improve this.Bacuna has scored 6 goals in 35 starts for Villa, Delph 6 goals in 101 games.

This was the 2nd highest attendance in British football this weekend so enough of this empty seats nonsense from away fans. Nearly 29,000 for a Sunday tv kick off after 3 months of rubbish football was a good turnout.

Our last home  FA Cup quarter final was in 1960 versus Preston. Time for this record to go please.

All hail Sherwood.

Westwood MoTM for me - controlled the game completely.

Really? I thought he was poor today.

He kept us ticking over. He's basically in the same role Petrov used to be before his final season when McLeish moved him forward a bit. I think he's massively underrated.

• Like 2

Very similar to  the Bournemouth game. A poor first half with Given keeling us in it, followed by a much improved second- with the first  goal and cracker. Then get a second and let inn a silly goal to ensure we still haven't won a game by 2 clear goals this season.

Given was good, Cleverley had his best game for us and nice to see Vlaar back. Even Benteke got some of his mojo back in the last 30 mins or so. Clark destroying Morgan was the stand out moment for me, lovely. What is it with the Leicester fans and them really hating us? Enjoy the seaonn because they are going straight back down again. Hopefully we won't join them.

Some stats to finish this off

Bacuna, Gil and Cole- are  the only midfielder to  have scored 3 goals in 13 starts. Westwood, Delph and Cleverley have started 59 matches and scored none. Need to improve this.Bacuna has scored 6 goals in 35 starts for Villa, Delph 6 goals in 101 games.

This was the 2nd highest attendance in British football this weekend so enough of this empty seats nonsense from away fans. Nearly 29,000 for a Sunday tv kick off after 3 months of rubbish football was a good turnout.

Our last home  FA Cup quarter final was in 1960 versus Preston. Time for this record to go please.

Would be great if we had a repeat this season. Would mean the red rags are out 

Gents. filbert in peace. Painful to watch. We are toast. I think now 'shitbert' is gone, you will stay up, you looked a million times better, albeit against awful opponents, I thought we were comfortable first half, Sherwoods half time rollicking worked. Pearson is frankly bonkers. Shame it wasn't 2-1 at half time, would have been an even better second half. Great finish from Bacuna, the 'Veteran' in goal gifted you the second. Great header but too little too late. Now we can concentrate on getting relegated, I'm going to drink heavily now. Good evening.

Can't understand why Albrighton didn't play.

A win was crucial, especially with Tim going into see the team at half time. Hopefully this builds momentum now and we can win 2 or 3 of the next 5 games in the league at least.

The back 4 were all solid aside from Hutton's mistake in injury time, as was Given, although he still worries me on crosses.

The midfield were all decent, Delph probably the poorest of the lot (for the third game in a row). Cleverly probably had his best game for us, nothing amazing, but not poor. The midfield stopped passing it backwards and sideways in the second half, and Cleverly improved the most as a result.

Benteke and Andi were both ok.

Nice for Sinclair to get on and get a goal, and Jack got a bit of a runout, although when he has the ball I always get worried that he will give it away in the wrong areas.

No amazing performances, just a solid win by the team and the incoming manager!

Edited by GeordieVillan

Gents. filbert in peace. Painful to watch. We are toast. I think now 'shitbert' is gone, you will stay up, you looked a million times better, albeit against awful opponents, I thought we were comfortable first half, Sherwoods half time rollicking worked. Pearson is frankly bonkers. Shame it wasn't 2-1 at half time, would have been an even better second half. Great finish from Bacuna, the 'Veteran' in goal gifted you the second. Great header but too little too late. Now we can concentrate on getting relegated, I'm going to drink heavily now. Good evening.

Our games against you this season have all had a dramatic feel to them even if they haven't been instant classics in their own right. The first one where we put in our first decent performance in yonks. The second where we capitulated, we were somehow worse than you in an utterly dreadful game of football; I think that was the day the tide turned against Lambert. Then today, Sherwoods "first game in charge". Through to the cup quarter final. 

Thanks for the memories, good luck next year. We might be still be playing you yet!

Surprised how empty VT is this afternoon - we just won a game - scored twice in the second half - into the QFs - well worth some jubilation.

Everyone's having a piss up that's why.

4th highest attended sports event in Britain this weekend including the Six Nations. Not a bad turnout considering it was on free tv, a Sunday early afternoon kick off, and our recent form. If we get a home QF I would expect another 10,000 on the gate.

Edit-just realised  this is about the forum. Its been a long day sorry!

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Some stats on the game yesterday;

- It's Aston Villa's first victory in a last 16 F.A Cup game since the Cretaceous Period.

- The last time one of Aston Villa's subs scored at goal, was the day the final brick in the Great Wall of China was laid.

- Shay Given performed some heroics to keep his team in the game, it's only 49 days left until he can claim his state pension.

- The last time Aston Villa committed more than 1 player in the box - MjMooney was celebrating his 134th Birthday - May 45th 1744.

- People were not allowed to move or smile on photographs, such was the length of time it took to capture the image in the 1800s, the last time Aston Villa scored 2 goals at home.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

Some stats on the game yesterday;

- It's Aston Villa's first victory in a last 16 F.A Cup game since the Cretaceous Period.

- The last time one of Aston Villa's subs scored at goal, was the day the final brick in the Great Wall of China was laid.

- Shay Given performed some heroics to keep his team in the game, it's only 49 days left until he can claim his state pension.

- The last time Aston Villa committed more than 1 player in the box - MjMooney was celebrating his 134th Birthday - May 45th 1744.

- People were not allowed to move or smile on photographs, such was the length of time it took to capture the image in the 1800s, the last time Aston Villa scored 2 goals at home.

I could've sworn it was longer ago than that... funny how the mind plays tricks, but there you have it.

• Like 2

Vlaar was my man of the match, he looked solid and calm in possession, the opposite of Clark in the latter of those :). Given obviously was top notch too. I thought the weak links were Bacuna who yes scored a good goal but offers little in movement off the ball and effort. Westwood was poor, very wasteful in possession as were others but he didn't play well. And Weimann I just don't get, he's not quick, he's not clinical in front of goal, and again he just offers no movement off the ball, he's not bright when trying to find pockets of space. The whole team were very static as a whole, they all work hard without the ball but then as soon as we win it it's like musical statues, they just stop. We were better second half as played more direct in to Benteke who is a threat but also didn't have a good game for me, but would have more of the same for future games. We don't have the players for tippy tappy football, Delph certainly isn't no Iniesta :) Theres still work to be done I feel but there is certainly HOPE now

Â