Riga - Latvia

lapal_fan

I went there in 1999 so it's probably changed a lot in that time  ...

was just a few Irish bars when I went , now it's party central by all accounts

Pretty city , was still a lot of Soviet style uniform grey buildings about , but mostly it was a lot of colour and nouveau buildings

the museum of the occupation  is worth a visit ( though maybe not a stag do thing)

but in terms of night-life can't really help I'm afraid

I went about 10 years ago when the budget route first started to open up. We had an absolute fantastic time wandering the old town, air-hanger market and the occupation museum by day before partying into the early hours with the friendly locals. A few years on we returned for a couple of nights en-route to Tallinn in Estonia and the British Stag invasion had definitely taken its toll.   

my mates got arrested there on a stage do

5am walking back to the hotel after  session  , caught short so , 3 of them were urinating up against a building  ... which turned out to be a police station 

Cops came out ..mates legged it and got away

only 15 minutes later due to some drunken navigation they walked backed past the very same building and all got carted off to a cell

few hours later , they were then put in a police van driven out to the middle of nowhere and forced to sign some papers pleading guilty and relieved of all money in their wallets

next morning they were before a judge who decided they had to come back and face trial at a later date

they did actually get the letters from the courts  , needless to say they haven't been back to Latvia and are unlikely to  in this lifetime  ...of course ,  I suggest we go to Riga every time a lads weekend comes up  :)

Entirely their fault , but just go careful , they don't seem to mess about over there

Edited by tonyh29

I went about 10 years ago when the budget route first started to open up. We had an absolute fantastic time wandering the old town, air-hanger market and the occupation museum by day before partying into the early hours with the friendly locals. A few years on we returned for a couple of nights en-route to Tallinn in Estonia and the British Stag invasion had definitely taken its toll.

I think i am going Talinn for my stag hopefully its good out there

tony i know its your mates but tht was funny how do you walk past the same police station!! get a taxi to your hotel for goodness sake! 

Went in 2011 (during mcleish laygate as it happens, remember checking VT on the hotel computer to read the rumours in disbelief and horror!)

Lovely city, it was early June when I was there and 30 degrees and sunny every day, lots of city centre parks for drinking in. Nightlife was decent, cheap too!

Would also recommend the museum, very interesting.

I'd like to go back, was there for three nights I think before heading up to Estonia. Much preferred Riga to Tallinn.

I think i am going Talinn for my stag hopefully its good out there

tony i know its your mates but tht was funny how do you walk past the same police station!! get a taxi to your hotel for goodness sake! 

I went April last year, and whether that's "off-season" I couldn't tell you but I wouldn't say it was ideal for a stag.

Fantastic place, great parts to visit and things to do with your partner for a week or something, but just a bit quiet for a stag.

Edited by Tomaszk

You'll have a blast... plenty of bars and clubs. Had 2 decent nights there in 2008. However, It is my least favourite of the Baltic capitals, Tallinn, being my favourite

However, Riga is ideal for a stag. Have fun. 

• 1 month later...

Went to Riga a few years ago on a Stag Do. 

Stayed in the X-dreams hotel which was a cheap hotel with a strip club inside.  Breakfast was served in the strip club as well :-)

Thought Riga was fantastic, lots of pretty women, lots to do. 

We hired one of those stag guides who took us to all the best clubs/bars/strip clubs each evening.

I would definitely recommend this, you don't waste time trying to work out where to go, how to get there, is it safe.

She'll sort out queue jumping, and will take you to places that meet your tastes.

• 4 months later...

My brother accidently let it slip thats where we are going for my  stag in september.

dont know what to think to be honest. Seems like it has a rather mixed reviews. nice city but miserable people and people trying to hustle you

is it expensive? what kind of food is it there?

• 4 weeks later...
Â