set pieces

Zatman

We don't get past the first man.

We don't get anyone on the far post

When defending a corner.....we don't get an outlet player near the half way line

Where is the thinking?

• Like 1

It was embarressing today, I could put in better corners and I haven't played football for about 10 years! When these players are 'earning' tens of thousands of pounds a week, the very least you should expect is to get a cross over head height. Sometimes a low drilled one can work but they were weak scuffs. It's a disgrace to be honest, it's becoming a bit of a trend at a lot of teams these days, not just Villa. Really strange, not to mention annoying.

Honestly, if we truly have no one on the team who can deliver a decent corner into the box, then can we not mix it up a litlte bit? Short corners, "tricky plays," something unexpected? It's an embarrassment how bad we are at this.

At one point today, Weimann decided he would take a corner.

It led to a Stoke corner.

I have seen Sunday league player take better corners then Weimann! If he picks the ball up to take a corner again we need Harry Enfield's character angry Frank to run on the pitch and say "Oi Andi NO!" Lol!

Funny I watching the Hamburg game yesterday, they had a player with a wicked left foot, whipping balls in from the corner flag. Turned out to be Zoltan Stieber.

Sherwood needs to work on this, in Ciaran Clark we had a lad who used to score goals at youth level. Infact you look at our back line and Benteke and there's no reason we shouldn't be getting goals from set Pieces. All down to delivery of the ball and desire to head it. That's why we used to score so many under MON.

We don't get past the first man.

We don't get anyone on the far post

When defending a corner.....we don't get an outlet player near the half way line

Where is the thinking?

There seems to be none, from the players or coaching staff. Its the absolute basics which we don't do that I find so infuriating.

• Like 1

Bradford showed us that it doesn't really matter the quality of the team. A decent set piece delivery can cause all sorts of problems.

Doesn't matter how awful we are, if we were a threat at corners and free kicks then we'd scrape the odd victory or draw here and there through that alone.

Quite odd that we have a lot of players in the team who I'd consider good in the air, yet we're rarely a threat.

• Like 2

Dont understand why every set piece is delivered in exactly the same way every time, no matter who takes them its always a delicately floated ball into the box which are so easy to defend

Edited by Jimzk5

Dont understand why every set piece is delivered in exactly the same way every time, no matter who takes them its always a delicately floated ball into the box which are so easy to defend

I think this must be a Benteke thing.

The only time we haven't taken them like that is when Benteke wasn't in the team.

Gil, Delph, Westwood etc. They all float them in when benteke is the target.

Pretty much agree with the above posts. Really is baffling.

We could honestly win or draw atleast 2 games even in our current form based on set piece goals itself.

Said it before but West Brom managed to walk away with a draw against Burnley through two set piece goals. Nothing fancy but a point is a point considering they were 2-0 down it's an excellent point.

Â