Turkey

Tayls

I thought you changed to Tenerrife?

Noooooo. I was joking, read the post again, it's up there somewhere ^^^ :)

Edit: damn trust that post to go onto a new page. It's on the previous page somewhere near the top

<<<^^^

Edited by Tayls

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I went to Istanbul in Feb, don't know what it was like before, security everywhere now, never felt threatened or unsafe but at the same time my personal thoughts weren't this mega city top 10 places in the world stuff was bollocks ( sorry avfc_hitz) don't get me wrong it's properly massive but you go in massive really impressive mosque number 1 and think it's incredible, by the time you've done mosque number 7 it's gone, then you replace mosque with market, then with Turkish delight shop, then with kebab shop number 178...there was just so little variance in the city, its all looky looky men selling the same shit, it's a massively huge city that got boring after 2 days imo 

was cheap as **** though! 3 days flights and hotel cost me and the missus £140 plus probably £200 spending money maybe 

• 2 years later...

Surprised at the lack of love for Turkey

I thought the place was pretty amazing  , true i went in 2008 and it was a different place then  , but Istanbul offers you so much  ..  Haghia Sophia , Blue Mosque  , palace of Pasha  were all impressive  , then you have the bazaars , a few hours R&R inside a hamam  , boat trip down the Bosphorus  ..... decent enough bar and cafe scene  ( didn't try any clubs)  and that's before you get down to  Ephesus  (temple of Artemis )  , Troy and Gallipoli  .. Think you can skip the house where the virgin Mary is supposed to have lived out her old age  tbf

People we met seemed friendly enough and we used mainly public transport around Istanbul  ... my only bad experience of the whole places  was a few local youths being highly disrespectful at the Anazc graves , but on the whole  I wouldn't really say a bad thing about Turkey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

6 dead

Could have been a whole lot worse, that's the main high street albeit I don't think that's the busy end

Edit -  FWIW I booked my 2017 (or 18 I can't remember) weekend there shortly after the attack near the besiktas stadium and it was dirt cheap, like 2 people for 3 nights flight + shit hotel for £85 cheap

Edited by villa4europe

Interesting but unsurprising response in that the government tried cut internet access and access to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and so on as soon as it happened.

Hope there are no more casualties but it looked to be crowded in the pictures.

• 6 months later...

Election today, I'd stay away for the next weeks or so. No surprise they are looking at possible moving the CL final from Istanbul (again)

Â