Turkey

Tayls

Absolutely no need to be scared. Those holiday resorts on the western are far removed from any threat, if there was one in the first place!

The closest you'll be to Syria is the barman serving you a beer by the pool, might be from there.

Any questions though just ask. I've been here for 5 years...

Absolutely no need to be scared. Those holiday resorts on the western are far removed from any threat, if there was one in the first place!

The closest you'll be to Syria is the barman serving you a beer by the pool, might be from there.

Any questions though just ask. I've been here for 5 years...

Tell me more Hitz! Where abouts are you in the country? I'm just worried that we will stick out among the crowds and be 'targeted'... The fact we are in a villa as well kinda worries me a bit more. I'm also thinking that people must be in the area who are transporting people from Dalaman to the Syrian border? It would seem that they are free to move across the border whenever they please at the moment. :( Gonna be the worst holiday ever. Edited by Tayls

You're going to Dalaman? That place is safer than Farhquar Road.

That's where we arrive but staying in Kalkan?
That's OK, too.

FFS, I'VE been there, on a bus full of pensioners! When I said upthread I felt more threatened in Scarborough I was dead serious.

This whole debate is verging on the hilarious.

• Like 1

Apologies if it has upset you, it was just a bit of dark humour against your over the top concerns about a holiday in a perfectly safe holiday resort. Truth is, if you are that concerned then cancel it as it sounds as though you have already made your mind up that you aren't going to enjoy it. Maybe just lock yourself in your house for a couple of weeks to be extra safe  :)

We'll all feel bad if Tayls is beheaded by Jihadi John now. 

Not gonna lie but that post has upset me a bit.

Yeah, Xela shouldn't have said that.....we wouldn't feel bad really :) *

* we'd feel terrible. but it WON'T HAPPEN. Enjoy yourself, Tayls

I'm not sure what image you have of Turkey in your head Tayls, but I advise you to forget everything you think you know.

Kalkan and Dalaman are tourist resorts and are just like any other around the world.

Turks aren't all brown skinned jihadists and there isn't a daily shuttle bus to the border, from Dalaman. That area is one of the most beautiful spots on the Aegean and quite breathtaking.

The border with Syria is 12 hours away by car and a completely different world away from the one you will experience when you go.

Yep, we went to both Kalkan and Dalaman, and they're lovely. It's a spectacularly beautiful coastline (not to mention the antiquities inland - Aphrodisias and Ephesus are both mindblowing). TBH, the only thing I didn't like about Turkey was the level of untidiness - quite a lot of litter on the roadsides, for example. And the idea of British style pretty front gardens clearly doesn't exist.

I have a belated birthday present, a trip to Istanbul lined up but not booked.

The main focus will be on kebabs and football.

I guess Hitz can help me here, which Istanbul club would you recommend seeing and is it easy to get tickets? Finally, will I die?

Â