• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

A bit better, but frustrating: caught Chelsea on a bad day where they were pretty poor in final third in particular & still gave them two soft goals. Hutton's defending was criminal for the 1st; the 2nd was messy all round & it was disappointing (if unsurprising) how deflated the performance was in the last 20 mins. just don't look like a side who has any belief that they can get back. lack of winning mentality.

Gil was a big positive - superb assist. he could really be the difference for us against the weaker clubs. Clark was good & I thought Westwood had a decent game too. and at least we've got the goalscoring monkey off back before this run of fixtures against rivals.

downsides: you'd hope a dropped Benteke would come on looking fired up with a point to prove, but he was just as anonymous as previous games & kept just doing pointless one-twos rather than driving forwards. neither Sinclair or Cole made any impact either, though they only had fairly short time. Delph was good for first hour but faded and made some sloppy errors later on, perhaps still not 100% matchfit. Gabby & Weimann both worked hard, but neither seems to have any composure.

you'd hope a dropped Benteke would come on looking fired up with a point to prove, but he was just as anonymous as previous games & kept just doing pointless one-twos rather than driving forwards. 

Yeah, that should be it for him. Time to prepare for summer transfer. He's worse than useless. He actually hurt us. I don't have any thing against him personally, but something is just off there. Seems almost bewildered. I actually feel bad for him -- but I feel worse for us.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Chris Waddle's view. Fair?

"

Former England winger Chris Waddle

BBC Radio 5 live at Villa Park

Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea

Posted at

"Chelsea have been in total control in this second half. Aston Villa could not do anything going forward, they really lacked belief and quality in the final third but they tried their best. Chelsea have done a special job here today. They are seven points clear but they were nine points earlier in the season, so it's not all over yet."

Not really. They were never in total control. The 2nd half was fairly even really. They probably had more possession in our half but we had a good few breaks. We did lack belief and quality in the final third but what's new?

I was just wondering as it sounded as though we played ok but Waddle makes out we weren't in the game. 

Honestly don't understand this whole "belief" thing. We're outclassed in terms of resources. I was actually really impressed with our spirit apart from Benteke.

Better performance, but we need to keep up this level now. And as usual, equalising goal and take our foot off the gas. Just keep looking for another, for God's sake. Agbonlahor and Weimann up front was much better, would be even better if we had someone instead of Agbonlahor to partner Weimann, but when Benteke came on we were just a shambles up front. 

Some decent movement for large parts of the match, and mixing the possession and counter attack up a bit better.

Clark MOM, Okore and Gil very good. Lose Cleverly and bring back Sanchez. Keep Benteke and Cole on the bench or in the stands.

Chris Waddle's view. Fair?

"

Former England winger Chris Waddle

BBC Radio 5 live at Villa Park

Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea

Posted at

"Chelsea have been in total control in this second half. Aston Villa could not do anything going forward, they really lacked belief and quality in the final third but they tried their best. Chelsea have done a special job here today. They are seven points clear but they were nine points earlier in the season, so it's not all over yet."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/31153592

Twaddle

The negatives:

1 shot on target is just not good enough.  

Another loss and just 2 wins now in 20.

Poor team selection and substitutions made too late.

The positives:

We scored a goal.

We didn't get hammered.

Gil.

Hull/QPR dropping late points.

For once I don't thank there was anything wrong with that team selection, I want Sinclair to start but he's clearly lacking match sharpness

Well Jose likes us. Easy to be magnanimous in victory though.

"I like Aston Villa's team. They have very good players. It is difficult to believe Villa are where they are. I wanted to analyse them not because of the points they have, or the goals they don't score, but by the quality of the players. It was a very difficult game, the stadium is a difficult place to go. The referee was very, very good. Very, very good in the way he controlled the emotions of the game.
"Sooner or later Villa had to score and they did it today. They have so many good players, with runners in attack. They put Benteke on in the second half, they had Cole, Sinclair and Gil behind the striker, three very creative players. It makes it very difficult to play against them, so this is a very important victory for us.

• Like 3

Actually think we played well today. Chelsea showed why they are going to win the league by shutting up shop very effectively after their second goal.

Poor defending for both goals. Gil was class again. Love okore' celebration.

Need to beat Hull on Tuesday and I think we will if we play like today. Great result for them at City but they must be knackered after it, under 30% possession.

"I like Aston Villa's team. They have very good players. It is difficult to believe Villa are where they are. I wanted to analyse them not because of the points they have, or the goals they don't score, but by the quality of the players. It was a very difficult game, the stadium is a difficult place to go. The referee was very, very good. Very, very good in the way he controlled the emotions of the game.

"Sooner or later Villa had to score and they did it today. They have so many good players, with runners in attack. They put Benteke on in the second half, they had Cole, Sinclair and Gil behind the striker, three very creative players. It makes it very difficult to play against them, so this is a very important victory for us.

He wants us to beat Man City

Well we won't be doing that

A bit better, but frustrating: caught Chelsea on a bad day where they were pretty poor in final third in particular & still gave them two soft goals. Hutton's defending was criminal for the 1st; the 2nd was messy all round & it was disappointing (if unsurprising) how deflated the performance was in the last 20 mins. just don't look like a side who has any belief that they can get back. lack of winning mentality.

Gil was a big positive - superb assist. he could really be the difference for us against the weaker clubs. Clark was good & I thought Westwood had a decent game too. and at least we've got the goalscoring monkey off back before this run of fixtures against rivals.

downsides: you'd hope a dropped Benteke would come on looking fired up with a point to prove, but he was just as anonymous as previous games & kept just doing pointless one-twos rather than driving forwards. neither Sinclair or Cole made any impact either, though they only had fairly short time. Delph was good for first hour but faded and made some sloppy errors later on, perhaps still not 100% matchfit. Gabby & Weimann both worked hard, but neither seems to have any composure.

FFS.....just what did you expect from Sinclair?.....he was only on for about 12 mins....lol

Jose is correct....its not the players thats the problem.....its the way they are coached and being asked to play!

Â