• Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

vastly improved on Arsenal. Lets make sure to take some positives from that:-

+ We looked threatening going forward during spells of the game. Gil in particular, but it was also good to see Delph and Cleverly bursting forwards occasionally.

+ We didn't psychologically crumble after either of their goals

+ We switched our play up well, retaining possession when needed and then going more direct when needed

- Very poor defending for the 1st goal

- Calamity for the second goal. Cant decide whether there was a large element of bad luck amongst it too

Big game coming up against Hull!!

Overall:-

Guzan 7 - Solid

Hutton 7 - Good runs forwards. Wish he could cross.

Clark 7 - Good leadership at times

Okore 7 - Great run forward for the goal, shame about their second.

Cissokho 6 - Very limited going forward but did have his hands full defensively

Gil 8 - Our best player on the pitch - fantastic work for the goal

Delph 6 - better energy, gave the ball away a lot

Westwood 6 - unspectacular

Cleverkey 6 - improvement from him

Weimann 5 - quiet, but maybe I just missed his work

Gabby 7 - great work rate, won us a lot of possession up the pitch

Benteke 5, Sinclair 6, Cole 5

Lambert 7 - was right to drop Benteke, was right to revert to counter attack, timed the subs about right IMO. Their winning goal was not down to him today.

Edited by Djemba_Villan

We were excellent. Didn't deserve to lose. We controlled the game and was unlucky not to win it. It's a good atmosphere in the changing room and the lads are enjoying playing this new style of football. We go again

Thanx Paul its nice to know you care :wub:

• Like 2

Disappointed with the result but encouraged by the performance. Ithink we would have beaten quite a few PL teams today. Lambert must get the lads to play this well in every game and we will rise up the table. Gil is a little gem of a player. Gave away 2 bad goals.

Keep the faith!

Cleverley had a mare of a first half but was average second half. One of his best performances then. 

Hope Sanchez plays against Hull. I think Lambert will set us out with a 'can't lose this' mentality so I'm predicting the return of the 4 central midfielders. 

We came out for the second half on the front foot and equalised . Then what do we do ? Throw it in reverse . It's a fekin joke , and as for some people being happy with us scoring makes lt even more sickening , trust me , you don't get points for that .

If this manager does'nt go we are doomed .

If this manager does'nt go we are doomed .

I am no Lambertian but Lerner's left him with no options. I think he was right to give Benteke a last chance but that should be it. It's just too bad PL didn't have many choices. Look at Chelsea. They bring on a player as a discretionary sub whom they just paid almost five times above what we failed to pay for a slightly over the hill striker. It's just obvious what the issue is, and it goes way deeper than Lambert. Chelsea could have left Willian on, too. Very hard to compete against this mismatch in resources.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

We were excellent. Didn't deserve to lose. We controlled the game and was unlucky not to win it. It's a good atmosphere in the changing room and the lads are enjoying playing this new style of football. We go again

I always thought it was another poster who was really Paul Lambert posting on here!  :D

Edited by Xela

Chris Waddle's view. Fair?

"

Former England winger Chris Waddle

BBC Radio 5 live at Villa Park

Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea

Posted at

"Chelsea have been in total control in this second half. Aston Villa could not do anything going forward, they really lacked belief and quality in the final third but they tried their best. Chelsea have done a special job here today. They are seven points clear but they were nine points earlier in the season, so it's not all over yet."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/31153592

Edited by Xela

First, the positives. A much better performance, and we scored a goal. For a few minutes after half time, we looked like the better team, and there were some good individual performances, especially from Gil who was excellent. Lambert made the right decision dropping Benteke and the performance was better for it. It'll be a difficult decision on Tuesday. 

However, it's really not all sunshine. We never looked like scoring a second goal, and the way the build-up play works is still way way too pedestrian. We must be by far the slowest team in the league at doing things. In the 87th minute, at home, 2-1 down, I really don't expect to see players doing neat triangles in our part of the centre circle. I know it's a cliche, but sometimes you really do have to lump it up into the box and attack it. The lack of urgency throughout the side makes me think we're sleepwalking to disaster. 

Someone said earlier in the thread, this performance will mean nothing unless we get a result against Hull, and that couldn't be truer. Mane and Milner have given us (yet) another lifeline, now we need to take our chance. 

• Like 1

Chris Waddle's view. Fair?

"

Former England winger Chris Waddle

BBC Radio 5 live at Villa Park

Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea

Posted at

"Chelsea have been in total control in this second half. Aston Villa could not do anything going forward, they really lacked belief and quality in the final third but they tried their best. Chelsea have done a special job here today. They are seven points clear but they were nine points earlier in the season, so it's not all over yet."

No. Totally disagree. Villa didn't lack belief. We lacked a clinical striker.

Â