Jump to content

Our midfield problem


Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, villanwesty88 said:

I think we should look to the academy first. How many talents have we let slip in recent years? I mean even Hogg would be a solid player in our XI and Daniel Johnson. 

Far too simplistic!

To thrive youngsters need time and patience to fully develop.  Do you think either would have got it here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Far too simplistic!

To thrive youngsters need time and patience to fully develop.  Do you think either would have got it here?

 

If we don't change manager every 5 minutes and stop splashing massive amounts of £ then why not?

These guys can go and get good loan spells under their belts. The key is not to release them too early. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, villanwesty88 said:

If we don't change manager every 5 minutes and stop splashing massive amounts of £ then why not?

These guys can go and get good loan spells under their belts. The key is not to release them too early. 

We tried the not splashing cash thing.....dont want to see that again!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nigel said:

We tried the not splashing cash thing.....dont want to see that again!

Massive amounts I said. I mean buying players every single time. Without a few gaps in the squad the youth will never come through. 

We also tried splashing cash on various players last year and they came with a host of problems - high wages, culture shock, different style of play, homesickness etc - also not being up to the challenge. 

It's a balance for me but there have to be opportunities and development plans for youth players to get into the first team more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2016 at 22:35, dn1982 said:

Gardner performed in this league last season so he can do it at this level. Seeing as we don't have many other options he deserves a chance especially in a 3. 

It seems I wasn't too far off!! He still has loads to prove but we tend to write players off way too soon.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

I was going to suggest playing Bacuna in midfield last week, but stopped myself as I was hit with the dilema that it meant either Hutton or Richards at RB. I guess Midfield must take priority though, so Bacuna should get an extended run in the midfield now with Hutton at RB. Hopefully with the better midfield our defence won't be as exposed. Then in January we must bring in re-inforcements in midfield and RB areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We basically have to pick 3 from:

Jedinak
Tshibola
Gardner
Westwood
Bacuna
Lyden

I genuinely have no idea which 3 I'd pick. I mean, I think Bacuna is shit but he was our best player the other night so what the hell do I know. 
It's got to the point where I'm so bored of criticising the team selection that I just roll with it now. I'll support whoever plays in there because even when the manager picks the players I like, we lose. 

FWIW, I think our midfield will be the reason we don't make the play-offs. (unless we sign quality in Jan).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I was going to suggest playing Bacuna in midfield last week, but stopped myself as I was hit with the dilema that it meant either Hutton or Richards at RB. I guess Midfield must take priority though, so Bacuna should get an extended run in the midfield now with Hutton at RB. Hopefully with the better midfield our defence won't be as exposed. Then in January we must bring in re-inforcements in midfield and RB areas.

There are already at least 4 right backs in the team. Hutton, Richards, de Laet and Bacuna. All of them are, or should be, good enough for a top team in the Championship, imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
Just now, momo said:

There are already at least 4 right backs in the team. Hutton, Richards, de Laet and Bacuna. All of them are, or should be, good enough for a top team in the Championship, imo.

I guess if we bought a midfielder in January then Bacuna could revert back to RB. I personally don't want Richards anywhere near the first team, and same goes for Hutton as well, I feel they de-stabilise the whole back four with their awful positioning. De Laet is out for the season so I wasn't counting him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â