Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Just put myself through the Lambert press conference ahead of tomorrow's game. The guy is completely broken and the whole conference was spent deflecting criticism and papering over the cracks. Not that I expect any different but we really need action son the pitch and not mumbling words in a presser. He seems to cut the figure of an isolated man. We need to stick together through these tough times and try our utmost to get behind the lads. We're nothing short of a laughing stock at the moment, from the media, newspapers and fans across the country. This is the time for our boys to roll our sleeves up and dig in and try our best to scramble over the finish line. This, I feel, will be our biggest task at staying up in the Lambert era, and one that I didn't not foresee after our impressive (and solid) start to the season. 

One thing Lambert said that stuck out for me was "we'll be fine". He said it with some passion and vigour that's been lacking from any interview before (although this may have been because Pete Colley clearly p*sses him off) but we need to believe, as fans, that we can stay up and transcend that positivity on the pitch -especially at VP. We've been difficult to beat this season at VP and as it was pointed out in that online petition and letter sent to Randy Lerner this week, whilst our away fans are second to none, the home fans are currently apathetic to what they're seeing - but give them a team with some fight, a will to win and playing with desire then you'll have VP rocking and that is something special (think back to Chelsea at home last season).

We're up against it tomorrow for sure and none on God's green earth gives us a chance (of scoring) so we have nothing to lose. Maybe if they lose two men to red cards again we may have a sniff of not losing, but in truth we cant expect anything but a loss, which is so sad to have to admit as we're in a league where any team can give any team a  decent game on their day.

From Lambert's comments he didn't sound too keen to throw Sinclair in there too soon as he's played so little, maybe it cant do any harm tomorrow - but I get the sense Lambert will unleash him in midweek at Hull (our biggest game of the season, no less). Need Benteke to wake up, Gil to have his magic boots on and our defence/midfield to have the game of their lives.

I predict 0-2 to the Cockneys. But lets give it a go.

Calling that shower Cockneys is an insult to ordinary decent Cockneys , I doubt that lot even know where the Bow bells are .

UTV

Thanks for your kind words.. :)

• Like 2

...........Guzan..............

Hutton...Okore..Vlaar..Cissokho

..........Sanchez............

.........Gil..Delph...........

Gabby.....Benteke....Wiemann

dont think Sinclair can last the distance yet.

Edited by KSV

The start of a new era at Aston Villa. 7th february 2015. Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 1. Villa to go on a winning streak. Benteke and Gil to score.

I'm not even drunk.

• Like 4

I just don't really agree that "showing attacking intent" is the best course of action against a team like Chelsea. I want points, not an honourable loss.

But if it will help the team settle for the easier fixtures then I'm all for it.

We're playing on our own hallowed turf , so regardless of the opposition , we should be playing to win , it's that negative mind - set that got us in to this rut in the first place . We should never play with fear at Villa park , if only Lambert could get that in to his thick skull .

Attacking gets us spanked 5-0.

PLaying defensively doesn't mean you're not playing to win.

• Like 1

I just dont get Lambert and fans picking formations that leave us with no width or players who have no business out wide playing on the wing.

In Benteke we have one of the best aerial forwards in the league. We should be playing with out and out wingers firing crosses into the box and putting centrehalves on the back foot.

Get gil and sinclair out wide with sanchez and delph sitting in front of a back 4 with either gabby alongside benteke or cole or grealish in the hole (with sinclair gil and cole/grealish all swapping positions throughout) and pepper as many crosses as we can manage into the box.

Only when we start playing to our strengths will we start to push on. Have 6 players to hold a secure defence with the other 4 focussed on counter attacking is the way forward. Make use of our pace on the break and bentekes power and aerial ability and we could finish strongly.

Unfortunayely Lambery will send them out in the same manner he has all season: devoid of any guidance and using tactics that are neither appropriate for the opposition nor suited to the players he sends onto the pitch.

This is by no means the worst squad weve had in the Lerner era but i see us getting relegated this season thanks to Lamberts short sightedness and Lerners cowardice for not getting rid of a manager who has seemed out of his depth for over a year now.

I pray im wrong...

Is he really that good in the air tho? I mean, how only really seems to score beamers from outside the box. He does miss a fair few headers

People thinking no Costa and no Fabregas will help probably thought the same of Sanchez for Arsenal.

Must help tho? It must be easier without those? These teams or squads are better than un. It's about who performed better i the day. U need to earn the right to win.

I just dont get Lambert and fans picking formations that leave us with no width or players who have no business out wide playing on the wing.

In Benteke we have one of the best aerial forwards in the league. We should be playing with out and out wingers firing crosses into the box and putting centrehalves on the back foot.

Get gil and sinclair out wide with sanchez and delph sitting in front of a back 4 with either gabby alongside benteke or cole or grealish in the hole (with sinclair gil and cole/grealish all swapping positions throughout) and pepper as many crosses as we can manage into the box.

Only when we start playing to our strengths will we start to push on. Have 6 players to hold a secure defence with the other 4 focussed on counter attacking is the way forward. Make use of our pace on the break and bentekes power and aerial ability and we could finish strongly.

Unfortunayely Lambery will send them out in the same manner he has all season: devoid of any guidance and using tactics that are neither appropriate for the opposition nor suited to the players he sends onto the pitch.

This is by no means the worst squad weve had in the Lerner era but i see us getting relegated this season thanks to Lamberts short sightedness and Lerners cowardice for not getting rid of a manager who has seemed out of his depth for over a year now.

I pray im wrong...

Guzan

Hutton okore vlaar Cissoko

Sanchez delph

Bacuna Gil Sinclair

Benteke

• Like 1

The start of a new era at Aston Villa. 7th february 2015. Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 1. Villa to go on a winning streak. Benteke and Gil to score.

I'm not even drunk.

Maybe it's a drug problem .

Or maybe the men sending rays across the Atlantic are messing your brain - put some tin foil on, quick!

Edited by briny_ear

Woke up this morning really thinking we can cause an upset here. We will win, mourinio will kick off and everything will be Rosie again until we lose to hull lol. The optimism definitely comes from the copious amount of vodka I drank last night coupled with getting up early this morning, so I'm still pissed I think. Anyway, I'm rabbiting now. 2-1 villa. Benteke delph hazard.... Now where's my sports direct mug, I need coffee

6-0 Chelsea. And that's being optimistic

Agree, think we'll get absolutely mullered. Just not going to bother watching it.
It wont be 6-0, not Mourinho's style to go for the big wins, if they go 3-0 up they will close the game down. Edited by Jimzk5