Sign in to follow this  
dont_do_it_doug.

Pubs near Villa Park

4 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

A hostel now i think , or at least that was the plan

Shame, had some great times in there pre and post match.

2 minutes ago, jim said:

Shame, had some great times in there pre and post match.

Indeed, sunk a lot of pints in the Aston Hotel before the games in the 70s and 80s. So many of the old Villa pubs have gone :-(

1 minute ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Indeed, sunk a lot of pints in the Aston Hotel before the games in the 70s and 80s. So many of the old Villa pubs have gone :-(

Yep, noticed the Edward was gone last time I was over as well.

Seem to have got off (my personal) topic. Can anyone enlighten me as to the credentials of The Crown,  top of corporation street as a pre game drinking establishment? 

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just to repeat an earlier post of mine about the bartons arms:

On the other hand however The Bartons Arms is probably the most impressive pub in the whole of the UK. 

Coincidentally I was on a tour of it last week. I always thought it was spectacular but I didn't realise it was built to end a war between M&B and Ansells who were trying to prove each was the top dog brewery in the city. Ansells controlled the area to the south and west and M&B north and east. 

M&B basically built it to humiliate Ansells. A statement to say not only that you cannot match us to build a pub of this scale and grandeur,  but we have built it right in the middle of your territory. 

It does have a full run of working snob screens so if your girlfriend doesn't want to be surrounded by a bunch of Northern savages you could sit up the top and and close them so as not to see the riff raff in the lower area which was their intended function in the first place! 

Plus if you like Thai Food you will be in heaven 

The Bartons Arms all the way for me! 

Agreed it's only 20 mins walk and I have got a taxi from there before,  only a couple of quid.  I like to support them as much as possible because without the additional Villa income,  in the area it is in it would almost certainly not survive and we would lose a gem of national importance. 

A James and Lister Lea design, like so many of the most impressive pubs in Birmingham are :)

All manner of famous people in the past have drunk there... Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, etc, who used to perform at the theatre next door (Aston Hippodrome)

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone know what The Crown at the top end of corporation street near The Law Courts is like on match days?  I am thinking of going there with a Wolves Supporting mate before the wolves game.  Don't want anywhere too partisan. 

I've never been there before a game so have no idea what it's like. 

Yes the crown is good, great burgers and shows the football. Not sure what it's like on a matchday but you could pick worse venues in Brum for a warm up session.

Is the Aston Tavern open? They were refurbishing it last time I heard (going back a few years)

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is the Aston Tavern open? They were refurbishing it last time I heard (going back a few years)

Yep. Go past it on the way to work, wouldn't have a clue if it's any good since I don't drink haha. 

Pubs around VP are few and far between and certainly without quality (B Arms a notable exception). The Adventurers, The Reservoir, The King Edward, The Swan & Mitre (up for sale), Britannia, The Vine, The Golden Cross. All Holte End side of the ground have been lost over the last few years. Its a shame as there were some really good classic pubs there with some fantastic features and architecture. 

The fact of the matter is, Aston and Witton are run down areas in need of much regeneration. But even with a re-generation programme there would not be bars, pubs etc. Cant see it changing for quite a while yet (unless Dr Tony reveals his 'theme park' plans).

The area and ground is too far from the city centre, which with recent developments has moved further east which has made it and Digbeth more accessable for the sty with plenty of good watering holes.

6 hours ago, imavillan said:

Pubs around VP are few and far between and certainly without quality (B Arms a notable exception). The Adventurers, The Reservoir, The King Edward, The Swan & Mitre (up for sale), Britannia, The Vine, The Golden Cross. All Holte End side of the ground have been lost over the last few years. Its a shame as there were some really good classic pubs there with some fantastic features and architecture. 

The fact of the matter is, Aston and Witton are run down areas in need of much regeneration. But even with a re-generation programme there would not be bars, pubs etc. Cant see it changing for quite a while yet (unless Dr Tony reveals his 'theme park' plans).

The demise in the pubs is down to the shift in the religious demographic of the area. Pubs won't thrive in areas where Islam is the predominant religion, like it is in Aston.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pub-outside-villa-park-been-16894064

A pub that is a stone’s throw away from Villa Park has reopened as a sports bar after £100,000 of investment - and it’ll be open in time for Aston Villa’s hosting of West Ham United on Monday. 

The Yew Tree, in Witton, is calling on home and away fans to wander along and check out the new look interior ahead of the clash with the Irons for Monday Night Football.

A record 30,000 season tickets have been sold and the Yew Tree is expecting a significant rise in footfall, especially with the likes of Manchester City, Liverpool, Manchester United and Midlands rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers all set to visit Villa Park this season.

The Yew Tree is only the second pub in the UK to receive investment from the partnership between Ei Publican Partnerships and brewer Molson Coors which aims to build bespoke sports experiences for pub goers.

Inside you’ll find seven 58-inch TV screens, a video wall, a state-of-the-art speaker system, LED lighting and moving beams as well as a fully refurbished bar area.

As well as creating what is considered the ‘ultimate viewing experience’, the pub has also had a full external makeover, including its beer garden, which has given the pub a new lease of life.

Publican Wilburn Taylor said: “A huge amount of work has gone into transforming the pub and it’s been fantastic to see such as positive reaction. We have a dedicated group of locals who are keen Aston Villa fans and their support has been superb.

“We want to appeal to all football fans and on match days we welcome both home and away supporters.

“I’d encourage anyone who is going to the game or visiting the area on the day of a match to come in and join us for a pint and to experience the new facilities.”

• Like 1

bumping this thread as im the market for a new pre match drinking establishment. what's the aston tavern and the social like nowerdays?

Sign in to follow this  

Â