Lisbon

chappy

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im off to Lisbon in July, do you have any must do's from your trip?

Sorry missed this! Can't recommend Lisbon highly enough, we were there three nights, could have stayed longer, lovely city with plenty to do.

Going for 4 days in July. If we are going to visit a beach one day. Does it matter if we pick Estoril or Cascais? Any differences in them?

Other tips?

We got the train out to the beaches from Cais Do Sodre station, the lady at our hotel told us to get off about 7/8 stops before Cascais and walk along the sea front. This was fine as we were looking to explore but if you just want a day at the beach do not do this as it is a very long walk!! We made it as far as Estoril where the beach was nice enough, can't comment on Cascais as we got the train back before getting there. Beaches were decent all the way along our walk though, some busy some not (although I assume they all will be in August).

Another day trip we did was to a place called Sintra up in the mountains. Again it's about 40 mins on the train but from a different station. Really picturesque little town, you can go up to the old palace to look around if you like. We hired a sort of gold buggy which had a tour guide playing over the speakers for info for a couple of hours and drive around up in the hills, some great views. Didn't go into the palace itself so can't comment.

Would definitely recommend going over the water (short ferry from Cais Do Sodre) to their version of Christ the redeemer too. For another place with great views of the old town head up to the castle on the old tram 28, well worth a ride but watch out for pickpockets!

Nightlife is great, plenty of places for us to go as a couple and also seemed like a great place to go with friends and get smashed too. Make sure you go to Parque, it's a cool rooftop garden bar on the top of a multi story car park. In the area around there there are tonnes of bars with reasonably priced drinks. We ended up in one place with 2 pints of beer or sangria for €3, barman is called Alejandro, good place to start a night.

Food wise if you don't want steak/fish you'll have a harder time finding a restaurant but there are still enough places to cater for you, again food is reasonably priced.

• Like 2

Make sure to get their version of Oyster card at the airport train station, you can get it from ticket machines and top it up at any station ticket machine too. It is valid for trains, buses, trams and ferries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back from Lisbon so Im gonna write some things just from the top of my head right now:

Spent Sunday at the beach in Cascais. Not the best day to be there cause a lot of Lisbon went to beach that day. Choose another day and not the weekend if your going. Still worth it. Had a good dinner at a place called John Bull before heeding back in to town.

Went with the HopOnOff Sightseeing buses who have a red and blue line. Ticket were for both lines and two days.

Stops we went off at:

Campo Pequeno, old bull-fighting arena rebuilt to a concert stadium and shopping mall. Felt like the one in Barcelona.

Parc Eduardo 7, the view over Marque de Pombal and down to the river made the stop worth it. Walked back one stop to El Corte Ingles. Shopping mall, boring for me but my gf like that stuff.

Next was the Belem tower. Sits nice down by the river. You could walk back a while to another tower and go up to have a good view over the city and river. There is a cool view over Belenenses stadium which is right nearby. Cost 4 euros to go up if memory serves me right.

Monastery of Jeronimos. Nothing to see for us. We went almost straight back to the bus stop. 

We travelled the blue line as well, just on stop. Centre of Vasco Da Gama which is Lisbons Bullring I guess. My travel companion would have liked to spend more time here but we couldn't risk to miss the last bus back. She would have chosen this one before El Corte Ingles if she only could do one.

One of the days we mistimed it and the bus stopped at Marque de Pombal, we then walked from there down to Praca do Comercio and the river. Not recommended but doable. A strawberry caipirinha bought from a guy down by the water fixed the pain in my feet :)

• 3 years later...

Great city from the limited time i was in the actual city (spent two days at a wedding about an hour away). Stay at Chiado Arty flats. absolutely awesome! Cheap food and drinks and great people.

eat at pizzaria Lisbon and check out the time out market.

• 4 years later...
Â