Lack of discipline on the pitch?

briny_ear

Couldn’t find a thread for this but it probably warrants a bit of consideration.

The club has just been fined £60,000 by the FA for “failing to control its players” in the game against Leicester, and warned as to its future conduct.

This follows fines of £30,000 on 30 December for a similar offence in the Man U match, and £20,000 on 11 November for bad conduct in the Spurs game.

(Leicester and Spurs were also fined £20,000 apiece for their part in the incidents and other clubs have received penalties, of course, but, as far as I can see, we are the only club to receive three fines in quick succession.)

Then when you look at the FA “Fair Play” table, you find this for league games only:

FairPlay22matches_zps3168d1fa.jpg

We are at least top of one table – accumulated points for bad discipline and our 5 red cards make us equal first offenders in that score.

When you look at each of the events in isolation, each has its own story, and you could say there were bad refereeing decisions and other provocations that sparked many of them. Also, sums of £20-60,000 are paltry and we can easily afford to pay them off, so maybe not too much to worry about.

But there may be a pattern developing here, and a lot of the offences have occurred in the past few months, so the air of indiscipline in the team seem to be building up.

I don’t like to see our players fighting on the pitch or surrounding refs in a threatening manner, nor do I appreciate key players getting sent off for hot headed offences that only hamper further our attempts to rub enough points together to stave off relegation for a third or fourth time.

There’s a risk that clubs get a reputation for on-field indiscipline, which makes them more liable to be singled out for further punishment.

Is anyone else worried by this or is it just me?

Honestly, I think it's mostly a coincidence

- Sending off against Spurs was quite contentious and I can see why there was a scuffle given that Mason somehow managed to get off scot-free despite shoving his head into Benteke's

- Richardson sending off was fair enough

- Gabby's was one of the most ridiculous red cards I've ever seen and it was rightly rescinded. Again, given how ridiculous the sending off was you can understand why the players reacted the way they did.

- Delph's sending off was probably justified but I've seen them not given

- Clark's was probably a second yellow but the players were obviously incensed by the horror tackle on Okore (who's not long come back from 14 months out)

Edited by Mantis

I think it's just a blip to be honest.

It's not like we're going round kicking lumps out of teams. Our red cards have mostly been hot headed incidents.

That may obviously be provoked by frustration due to our current position, but I don't think it's due to anything more than that.

One thing watching us is you wouldn't consider us a nasty side! The sendings off must have shot us up that table but look at Saturday how many times after innocuous tackles did the ref have a word with one of our players but in similar circumstances he never spoke to Liverpool players?? Take the Spurs game 2 challenges very similar to our Richardson and Delph sendings off yet get yellows! I'm quite glad that we have been involved in a few bust ups it at least means there is still fight in the club. Clark got his 2nd yellow for sticking up for his pal hopefully they'll be reunited on Sunday!!

how many yellows are from delph though.his way of tackling is fraught with risk with the rules as they are now.ther's no doubt though that we'll get a reputation for being a rough team though after all refs are only human and they look at statistics.i think we are especially at risk against the top teams.

Edited by krisagg75

It's just frustration, things are not going well for the club at the moment, fans are restless, manager is under pressure, we are not scoring, we are not playing well. Its no wonder the players are losing their heads sometimes its just human nature when your backs are against the wall

• Like 2

How many have been whilst Gabby is captain?

Can you change your avatar back! its bloody confusing. Give me the flower picture and i'll stick a little Lambert out sign in the middle if it makes you happy. ;)

I'll change it if we beat Bournemouth and Gil scores :-D

• Like 2

Good debate etc, but one thing I noticed about that table...

...how the hell are Swansea (Edit: and Leicester!) so low?

Because someone is no good at sums.

Right, looks like they should both be 174, not 164. 

I lifted this table off the FA website, so what do you expect.

Unfortunately, I rechecked Villa's points total and it looks right.  :(

It is simply caused by poor officiating rather than our own lack of discipline. Unfortunately, from our perspective, we have bore the brunt of the atrocious reffing. I seriously hope the FA uses the money from both fines to improve officiating, it desperately needs it.

It is simply caused by poor officiating rather than our own lack of discipline. Unfortunately, from our perspective, we have bore the brunt of the atrocious reffing. I seriously hope the FA uses the money from both fines to improve officiating, it desperately needs it.

Only one of our red cards was illegitimate and it was duly rescinded.

Â