New Music 2015

bickster

Over half way through January and no one has started a new music topic yet, shame on you!

My new years resolution as such was to buy at least one vinyl album a week, it needn't be a new release it could even be second hand but I would hope a lot of it is new. So far I've bought three albums but only one new release which is...

cover_foh_180.gif

The Advisory Circle - From Out Here

Clips available here

New Aphex sounds quite dry if it didn't have his name attached to it I doubt it would get much attention. Most obvious comparison would be John Cage's Prepared Piano stuff, I guess.

Edited by useless

New Aphex sounds quite dry if it didn't have his name attached to it I doubt it would get much attention. Most obvious comparison would be John Cage's Prepared Piano stuff, I guess.

Same with Syro IMO. Had a lot of time for the single but the album was mostly pretty boring. 

It sounds a bit like something that might get released on ECM. There are probably people out there doing more interesting stuff with prepare pianos. I liked Syro on first listen but haven't had the urge to listen again.

Edited by useless

Had a lot of time for the single but the album was mostly pretty boring. 

Generally feel that about him. Pick at his albums and let the singles play through.

Arguably, his best album is a comp.

This came out last week, and isn't too bad, even by their own twee high standards

I don't think they have the same energy as 15 years ago, but it's good tunage nonetheless.

Belle-And-Sebastian-Girls-In-Peacetime.j

Who does have the same energy they did 15 years ago? ;)

Certainly not someone with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) like Stuart Murdoch

ME is a terrible illness, people who get it lock themselves away for seven years and then form dreadfully shite twee pop bands. Hopefully they'll come up with a cure in the near future ;)

• Like 1

That band of Scousers aside, I usually find I like / dislike a lot of the same bands as bicks. We'll have to disagree on Belle & Sebastian, I absolutely love them!

I think Bicks is right on B&S, I find most of their stuff unlistenably twee. And he's right about the scousers too. other than that your taste and Bicks' is really good (though I would say that).

• Like 2

That band of Scousers aside, I usually find I like / dislike a lot of the same bands as bicks. We'll have to disagree on Belle & Sebastian, I absolutely love them!

I think Bicks is right on B&S, I find most of their stuff unlistenably twee. And he's right about the scousers too. other than that your taste and Bicks' is really good (though I would say that).

I'd love to have Bicks' taste in music, or at least the ability (meaning time and effort) to keep up with new music more.

B&S are a band that I want to like. There's two or three of their songs that I really like but every album ends up leaving me cold. This last effort has taken that to the extreme. I think I got about half-way through it and turned it off. Doubt it'll get another play, tbh.